What's new

GIDS reveals FAAZ series of missiles.

GIDS already declared development of FAAZ II which they claim would have range of 180 KM.

Right but the 100-180 KM range is based off of certain launch speeds of the fighter jet moving mach 0.7-1+. I believe for a SAM the FAAZ series would be a similar design except incorporating a much stronger boost motor to get the missile to a certain speed before the main motor takes over.

We should leverage the FAAZ series + our current in house indiginous AESA radar to develop a medium/long range SAM system to supplement the HQ9P.

@JamD If it is not much trouble, please answer the following questions.
  1. Which institution has designed and manufactured the FAAZ RF and FAAZ IIR?
  2. Are these AA missiles?
  3. If they are AA missiles, why does the display read air-to-ground missiles?
  4. If they are actually AA missiles, how can GIDS make such a big boo-boo?
  5. Do you see the speed of FAAZ RF increasing upward of Mach 4 and the range upward of 150 km in the next 7-8 years?
  6. Can we expect them to arm the JF-17s in the next 7-8 years?
  7. If they will arm the JF-17s, would it be before or after the range and speed have been increased?
They are air to ground

Like all of our previous ammunition they are either Chinese or south African knockoffs with permission from earlier and with buyout from the later

Right but the 100-180 KM range is based off of certain launch speeds of the fighter jet moving mach 0.7-1+. I believe for a SAM the FAAZ series would be a similar design except incorporating a much stronger boost motor to get the missile to a certain speed before the main motor takes over.

We should leverage the FAAZ series + our current in house indiginous AESA radar to develop a medium/long range SAM system to supplement the HQ9P.
That I have no idea about. I am telling you their claim.

They are air to ground

Like all of our previous ammunition they are either Chinese or south African knockoffs with permission from earlier and with buyout from the later

If I recall correctly PAF bought the designs of south african BVRs long ago and continued to work with DENEL on research + development of air to air missiles. Chinese must have also shared tech on the SD-10 (PL15 being to advanced).

This is in line with performance paremeters being similar to the AIM120C5 and SD10 already in service since the last 15 years.

Again both the AIM120C5 and SD10 are still very deadly missiles and proven combat kills. Rather go off of proven designs that more expensive modern ones

That I have no idea about. I am telling you their claim.

All things said and done we can comfortable estimate a 25-35% decrease in range if launched from the ground when be in stationary launch mode with the current design + booster modifications. Still a deadly range notheless for a SAM system

"Do you see the speed of FAAZ RF increasing upward of Mach 4 and the range upward of 150 km in the next 7-8 years?"

Why "no" to the above? Could you elaborate? GIDS website says a FAAZ 2 with a range of 180km is already underdevelopment. It retains the 3.5 Mach speed though. Why is it unlikely that they would be able to bring the speed up to 4 - 4.5 Mach?
As you said, something with those specs appears to be called Faaz-2. This is why I said Faaz cannot be expected to reach those specs because why else have Faaz-2 then? Furthermore, I view Faaz as a learning opportunity so let's not expect it to be magic right out of the box. When you actually make something yourself, the development is slow, painful, and beset by lots failures along the way.

As you said, something with those specs appears to be called Faaz-2. This is why I said Faaz cannot be expected to reach those specs because why else have Faaz-2 then? Furthermore, I view Faaz as a learning opportunity so let's not expect it to be magic right out of the box. When you actually make something yourself, the development is slow, painful, and beset by lots failures along the way.
Ah, that makes more sense. I was asking whether such an evolution of the existing technology was possible in the next 7-8 years. Whatever name that may take is irrelevant.

Let me rephrase my question. Do you see AWC developing an AA RF missile with a speed upwards of Mach 4 and a range in excess of 150 KM in the next 7-8 years?

License building Chinese technology is not sustainable, we need a local ecosystem capable of R&D independently to a high degree.

Ah, that makes more sense. I was asking whether such an evolution of the existing technology was possible in the next 7-8 years. Whatever name that may take is irrelevant.

Let me rephrase my question. Do you see AWC developing an AA RF missile with a speed upwards of Mach 4 and a range in excess of 150 KM in the next 7-8 years?
Yes, if they have the vision to let this program run, despite the inevitable hiccups. No, otherwise.

...if it can kill, then no worries.

So have these missiles been formally inducted? We haven’t seen any pictures of FAAZ being carried on any platform

...if it can kill, then no worries.
Such an approach will lead to stagnation and inefficiency ultimately will cost more ...

As compared let say what turkey Israel and India has done

So have these missiles been formally inducted? We haven’t seen any pictures of FAAZ being carried on any platform
Nope
Probably will never be

Such an approach will lead to stagnation and inefficiency ultimately will cost more ...

As compared let say what turkey Israel and India has done
...we can and are following the approach of china; either reverse engineer or buy the design, and localize the system gradually. this will not result in stagnation. and the current dollar crunch has turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as the military is looking to indigenize a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
@Falcon26 no need to laugh react if you cannot contribute anything of value.

I have witnessed, first-hand, the reverse engineering of various electronics modules of western systems and have managed to even improve some of them due to tech advances. all done in-house. you can continue laughing.

Sometimes back a member disclosed that an A2A BVR is integrated with the Mirage jet at centerline hard point which could carry only 1 BVR due to space constraints.

We know that Mirage jet is the test bed for aerial weapons of PAF.

Sometimes back a member disclosed that an A2A BVR is integrated with the Mirage jet at centerline hard point which could carry only 1 BVR due to space constraints.

We know that Mirage jet is the test bed for aerial weapons of PAF.
No space - that is the only spot with the required space for the wiring available because that is where the Super-530D was carried when it was operated.

Only ROSE-I mirages have that because the Grifo-M . Although technically even the Grifo PG can guide 1 weapon to the limit of its range.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom