What's new

General Cricket thread

256820.jpg

Azhar Ali sets double-ton benchmarks

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-pakistan-2016-17/content/story/1074312.html

You can tell that he is a hard working lad and a very consistent guy, he just needs to stop listening to all the trash from the media. He can be just as consistent in ODI's too. Brilliant in Test Cricket.

256820.jpg

Azhar Ali sets double-ton benchmarks

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-pakistan-2016-17/content/story/1074312.html

You can tell that he is a hard working lad and a very consistent guy, he just needs to stop listening to all the trash from the media. He can be just as consistent in ODI's too. Brilliant in Test Cricket.

He is surely going through a purple patch, he is hardworking and has fantastic will power and temperament, I like him the most of all current Pakistani players. But on the downside he is extremely one dimensional and boring to watch with limited strokeplay and can't change the gear depending on the condition. He is a liability in limited over formats. He can bat for hours, blunt the new ball, score daddy hundreds and make it easier for the middle order but can not enforce result with his slow batting hence no matter how much he scores the impact will always be insufficient outside UAE. I consider him a tier below the likes of Smith, Warner, Kohli and Root as out of all the current batsmen only this four can single handedly win you matches.

He is surely going through a purple patch, he is hardworking and has fantastic will power and temperament, I like him the most of all current Pakistani players. But on the downside he is extremely one dimensional and boring to watch with limited strokeplay and can't change the gear depending on the condition. He is a liability in limited over formats. He can bat for hours, blunt the new ball, score daddy hundreds and make it easier for the middle order but can not enforce result with his slow batting hence no matter how much he scores the impact will always be insufficient outside UAE. I consider him a tier below the likes of Smith, Warner, Kohli and Root as out of all the current batsmen only this four can single handedly win you matches.

thats the key, which he lacks..... and hence not on par

Plays within his limitations, does what he needs to do. The rest valid point.

Plays within his limitations, does what he needs to do. The rest valid point.
Absolutely, he does make the best out of his limited natural ability by sheer hardwork and dedication, his limitations are mostly because he was never a natural batsman, started off career as a leggie, then transformed himself into a batsman,he commands my respect for that, I do rate him higher than the likes of Amla and Williamson and just a notch below Kohli, Root and Smith.

@anant_s , why have foreign tours become so tough? take non-Asian teams coming to Asia and vice versa.

why have foreign tours become so tough?
Quite baffling especially when you take into account league based cricket that gives players good opportunities to travel and play in away conditions (even if its is 20-20 cricket, it still gives you an idea of how local players are like along with paying conditions).
wajsal i also believe in Pakistan's recent tour of Australia, selectors have to take blame as much as captain would. before start of tour i mentioned, the team needs one more spinner and Yasir Shah, irrespective of talent he has, was burdened a bit too much. i mean look at the number of overs he had to bowl, it would test fitness and skills of anyone. Had he had one more spinner (my mind keeps going back to golden days of Mushi & Saqlain duo), it would've taken away some pressure off him and he would've a more attacking option. Unfortunately he had bear brunt like a workhorse.
Second, not all fast bowlers succeed in Australia and answer perhaps lies in length bowlers bowl. In Asia, bowlers tend to bowl either short or too full, but on bouncier aussie pitches, you need that elusive good length bowls hitting off stump. This too seemed missing. Raw pace and occasional seam movement will get you some chances. but ultimately it is persistence with good length that helps you take wickets in Australia. I just wish, players had some more chances in practice matches.
Finally i hope Senior players do take a call on their careers now. I mean Younus has little else to achieve as a batsman and maybe he should step down to allow some young blood to take his spot. I do hope there is someone ready to take his place in domestic circuit. As for Misbah, as much as i would like him to continue, maybe a more tactically aggressive player should now get a chance. He was simply too defensive in Australia.

take non-Asian teams coming to Asia and vice versa.
I think the trend won't reverse. let us wait a month before Aussies come to India. I'm sure Indian spinners would be waiting to get to bowl them on 4/5 day pitch. I still believe Australian test team isn't good enough to face quality spin on Asian tracks.

Let him go and play a season or two in english county. He is really a leading light amongst current young batsman, he will get even better. Really impressed with his temperament.

Quite baffling especially when you take into account league based cricket that gives players good opportunities to travel and play in away conditions (even if its is 20-20 cricket, it still gives you an idea of how local players are like along with paying conditions).
wajsal i also believe in Pakistan's recent tour of Australia, selectors have to take blame as much as captain would. before start of tour i mentioned, the team needs one more spinner and Yasir Shah, irrespective of talent he has, was burdened a bit too much. i mean look at the number of overs he had to bowl, it would test fitness and skills of anyone. Had he had one more spinner (my mind keeps going back to golden days of Mushi & Saqlain duo), it would've taken away some pressure off him and he would've a more attacking option. Unfortunately he had bear brunt like a workhorse.
Second, not all fast bowlers succeed in Australia and answer perhaps lies in length bowlers bowl. In Asia, bowlers tend to bowl either short or too full, but on bouncier aussie pitches, you need that elusive good length bowls hitting off stump. This too seemed missing. Raw pace and occasional seam movement will get you some chances. but ultimately it is persistence with good length that helps you take wickets in Australia. I just wish, players had some more chances in practice matches.
Finally i hope Senior players do take a call on their careers now. I mean Younus has little else to achieve as a batsman and maybe he should step down to allow some young blood to take his spot. I do hope there is someone ready to take his place in domestic circuit. As for Misbah, as much as i would like him to continue, maybe a more tactically aggressive player should now get a chance. He was simply too defensive in Australia.
Also the tours have become so small, we don't get a lot of practice games now. We went early before the England tour and we were good throughout the series...
I still believe Australian test team isn't good enough to face quality spin on Asian tracks.
Totally agree with you on this.
temperament.
Key word.

4 games tommorow, hope to see some good cricket...

Cricket needs the right guardians to curb fixing menace
170.jpg

Harsha Bhogle - Voice of Cricket

prv_0a5e4_1487158162.jpg

What has happened at the PSL is another wake-up call for cricket

Recent events at the Pakistan Super League (and by some accounts, the idea behind them isn't recent!) are disturbing but not surprising; which in effect, makes them even more disturbing. It would be careless to believe, as I am certain some do, that given their history, this is an issue that affects Pakistan alone. Everybody needs to be vigilant as India and South Africa have discovered in recent years.

Many years ago, when the IPL was in its infancy, I had suggested that the twin concerns before it were match-fixing and the pedigree of the team owners. Nothing since has allowed me to question that thought and the danger from both is as acute as it was then. With greater competition for sponsorship money, and with countries like South Africa looking to their new T20 league to infuse more money into the game, the need to be careful about the source of funds is even greater. Some team owners, as we have seen in the IPL, have been excellent for the tournament, some others, as we have seen here and in other parts of the world, haven't.

Eventually it comes down to the guardians of the league and that is something, amidst the current turbulence in Indian cricket, we cannot lose sight of. There will be a new governing council soon and there will be calls to fill it with cricketers, with cricket lovers and general do-gooders. That would be a risk that Indian cricket cannot take. Yes, you need someone who understands cricket, someone who understands finance and marketing, but just as much you need someone who understands the law and the judicial process and someone with a more investigative bent of mind.

Sport, and in India that still translates largely into cricket, is far too big and complex to be run by sportspeople alone. The ICC, for example, is as much about political manoeuvring as it is about administering cricket and framing the laws and working out Duckworth Lewis and the DRS. And hence the greater need for sport to be run by people who are savvy and possessed of a more contemporary world view.

I foresee, for example, the increased use of analytics in sport; not just in the running of it but in the custody of it. Someone whose judgement I trust greatly told me that big data could be used, and indeed should be, to look for correlations in the murkier side of sport. When he told me of the possibilities, my eyes were wide open. The IPL, and every T20 league around the world, needs policing and big data will become mandatory provided of course, that those running the game are thinking like that. We still hold very amateur views on the running of sport largely because people influencing it haven't kept pace with the passage of time and technology.

I fear too that we are moving towards a phase where cricketers will need to be policed a bit more or certainly, will have to make far greater disclosures than at present. It will be inconvenient and uncomfortable but it will be a minor price to pay for the general good health of a sport like ours that has many predators eyeing it. Almost certainly, India will need a law against the fixing, or even the influencing, of some or all parts of cricket. England were able to make arrests because they do and in India we found ourselves floundering a bit in search of a law that could convict those suspected of foul play.

Cricketers will need mentoring too, and Pakistan needs it more than any other country in the world as cricket lovers there will admit. While that is already happening informally, I won't be surprised if we see systems in place for it. It is something Anil Kumble has been crying out for a long time now but as Rahul Dravid once said, there needs to be the fear of a jail term. Our game now attracts young men and women from all spheres of life, increasingly from families that aren't very well off. Given the insecurity, and limited duration, of sporting careers, the option of seeking a quick buck can be attractive. Mentorship and the law, and the knowledge that big brother, in the form of big data, is watching, are our defences.

T20 leagues and indeed cricket itself, are no longer mere sporting affairs. They are big businesses that need stringent auditing and strict governance. I would venture to say that while Kohli and Ashwin are critical to Indian cricket, the right administrators, especially in the states, are just as important. Fixing, in its various incarnations, will never go away (my mother once told me an old Marathi saying: where there is a bud there is a worm) but a vigilant administration, including franchise owners, can make it as difficult as possible.

What has happened at the PSL is a wake-up call. Indeed another wake-up call! Cricket needs T20 and the accompanying leagues but without the unwelcome visitors it can bring with it.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/92296/the-need-for-the-right-cricket-administrators-harsha-bhogle-voice-of-cricket
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Franchise based cricket leagues have mushroomed all over the world and given the kind of sponsorship, money, glamour and instant fame they can bring, young players can easily lose focus on values of game. Competitiveness forms the bedrock of any sport and a player's integrity and faith of spectators and administrators of that player being competitive are the underlying ideas that raises any sport almost sacramental levels.
High time administrators not only involve coaching staff but also guides to morally mentor the players.

@WAJsal @The Eagle

Franchise based cricket leagues have mushroomed all over the world and given the kind of sponsorship, money, glamour and instant fame they can bring, young players can easily lose focus on values of game. Competitiveness forms the bedrock of any sport and a player's integrity and faith of spectators and administrators of that player being competitive are the underlying ideas that raises any sport almost sacramental levels.
High time administrators not only involve coaching staff but also guides to morally mentor the players.

No disagreement especially with last last line. The Player comes next in line to be defensive against fixers but on first, it is always the administration and top brass that actually defines and designs all the work and ethics and molds the player by making him aware of them culprits.

Back
Top Bottom