What's new

Future of Pakistan Bangladesh relations

Most Bangladeshis because of social media are now aware of India's misdoings in BD and they do not hold any grudge against Pakistan, instead have always acknowledged Pakistan's military capability. The people who hold these positive opinions of Pakistan are the working class,
Let those working class boys have chat with Pakistanis online.When those working class boys will encounter the Pak denial of any wrong doing in 1947-1971 period and boasting about amazing Pakistani race, they will turn 'Rawami'.:PFish and Rice joke will also help.:P Already 4 million kids are playing 'Heroes of 1971, retaliation.' If they get exposed with Pakistani mentality, the game download will increase many fold.:lol:
https://www.thequint.com/world/2017...adeshi-struggle-for-independence-awami-league

One can have many different opinions on this topic. Hasina doesn't represent all Bangladeshis for sure, however, she did make some smart moves as politically good for Bangladesh and its future. I really don't want to get in Hasina's election story, you guys are most welcome to google that chapter, then you will know how Hasina became the PM of BD. There is absolutely no reason for BD to hate Pakistan, however, India is the big fish in this pond, and for BD it must choose sides that are good for BD. BD doesn't have a good military like Pak so no way in hell BD is going to challenge India like Pakistan does, but to keep the balance, Hasina made better relation with China and brought more Chinese influence to BD through investment. Just because Pakistan, BD far away doesn't necessarily mean we don't need each other, both countries definitely can work together on many different fields I am sure. It's just my opinion.

No one is asking you to live any other world other than your choosing.But it is a common knowledge that, non western events don't get the same attention like the western one.Pundits have long termed this phenomenon as 'Euro centric bias'. Even after discounting that bias, 1971 war got fairly decent amount of attention.I can see a large number of books in English language written by both south Asian writers and western writers either singularly focused or discussed as a part of international relation among the countries involved in it.Just because, you didn't found a single book in a 'Malaysian library' doesn't mean it does not exist.What if, books were in that library, but you overlooked? Can you claim, you have checked every book in that library?Tell me at first how many books were there?

You are looking at it from a political/civilian point of view. Mine is from the military. Something akin to a BDA. Understand the difference. And it wasn't some 'Malaysian library'. It happened to be an international book retailer which is situated under the Petronas Towers. And yes, I did check. And even if there are, it is insufficient.

It is laughable that, you are giving example of Sun Tsu's 'The Art of War'(5th century BC) with that of 1971 war,Are you really expecting a book like 'The Art of War' to be written based on 1971 war? That book is a classical literature have similar significance like that of Plato's 'Republic' or Kautilya's 'Arthashastra'.San Tsu didn't focused any singular war in Chinese history, he wrote his book on a broader pattern of warfare in ancient and classical China.That book and like that of above mentioned two are part of world literary heritage.They were written at the dawn of human civilization.Expecting anything like that for 1971 is a little far fledged.Isn't it?

A great piece of non-Western literature that every able commander/diplomat should have. So where is this 'Euro bias' you say it is? There are books on non-Western theaters of war. I would say there is a lack of research into not only 1971, but all South Asian wars in general. It is not that people are 'Euro-biased', it is bias coming from a certain group of people over the decades. This needs to stop.

Excuse of geography is one which Pakistani apologist like to give when confront the realities of gross injustice and repression carried out by Pakistani military junta.Hadn't Bengalis joined Pakistan despite knowing geographic distance? Had East Bengal were connected to west Pakistan geographically and west Pakistani rulers carried out same type of discrimination, ethnic prejudice and exclusion, do you think we would have not revolted? During the 24 years period, had any Bengali complained about geographic distance? Or they were complaining about the injustice?

There's truth in the discrimination part. Particularly in regards to jobs. Very few Bengalis spoke Urdu, and were not part of a labor force. There would have been some sort of opposition, no doubt. There was linguistic and ethnic bias, no doubt.

There had been discrimination in other countries. Did we see the African-Americans demanding their own country? Or the Welsh due to their language? I have seen Tamils who do not speak Hindi, and yet are Indians first. The Sikhs went through a bloody period under Operation Bluestar, and yet are patriotic to this day.

So discrimination due to language/ethnicity justifying a separate nation? Maybe. But that can be mitigated by have a strong law and actually letting the civilian do his/her job.

The mistake the Pakistanis made then and even today is that they let their military take care of their matters. They do not let their civilians do their jobs. You don't let the civilians do their jobs, the country won't move forward. There must be a clear barrier between the military and the civilian society.

Does geographic distance beget injustice? Then what about the many current successful states around the world who are geographically fragmented? Old Pakistan were 2 part with common religion.Indonesia is 17,000 part with diverse culture, religion, language.Some Christian majority province of Indonesia is as far distant from Jakarta as were between East and West Pakistan.Or what about East Malaysia and West Malaysia? They are not only geographically separated but also have different linguistic and religious majority with East Malaysia is a lot of less Bhumiputra and more Christian than Wast Malaysia which contain Kuala Lampur.How they are surviving? May be they have formulated a just and workable federal system early on their country's foundation? Had anything happened with Pakistan like this? They monopolize all the power at the center from the day one for just one objective.To rule East Pakistan like a colony and exploit it as much as possible.So how do you expect that union to survive? Or all these were not important, only geography decided?

You forgot one thing. The countries you mentioned do not have a big hostile neighbor. And actually, Indonesia went through a lot till where it is now. Very complicated stuff. Oh wait, there's East Timor. Geography does matter.

If you don't know, Pakistanis already have written a lot of books on 1971 from their perspective.More are welcome.My objection was not for your claimed suggestion to your Pakistani friends about this.But your notion that, Bangladesh is only independent because of Pakistani military failure at the hands of India and Bangladeshi people were passive spectator, had no desire for independence or control over the course of the events.Which I found offensive and you have decided for that reason that I am intolerant to opposing view?

Well whatever they are writing is not enough. I wouldn't say that East Pakistanis or rather, Bangladeshis were a 'passive spectator' (seriously, what is with all these labels?).

Just understand that without the Indian naval blockade of Karachi, the training of Mukti Bahini, intervention of the USSR and Shabeg Singh's tactics, Bengalis alone with some old rifles would not have been enough to quell the West Pakistanis. The Indians clearly did have a clear cut strategy. They made certain that there were minimal, or no opposition to their military advance to Dhaka as the civil war was raging. And it worked. So by not supporting the Pakistani military, would I say the Bengalis were merely a 'passive spectator'? No, they spoke their minds, and that alone was more than sufficient. What more would you want?

Had those not happened, they would have surely been annihilated by the Pakistanis and perhaps their allies. Now that's called a good strategy.

It is a funny contradiction, Whenever you say anything which we know to be against the truth and accepted facts based on historic realities, it is your 'seeing from different angle and mutual respect and understanding' but if I object that proposition and give some counter argument than I am 'intolerant, nationalistic and less educated'? Perhaps, Jews should not contradict the claim of Holocaust denier and question the deniers honesty? If they do then they are intolerant, less educated and ultra jewish nationalist.Right? Well you may claim, Bengali people's suffering is not like that important of jew or other nationalities who suffered past injustice, or even not true at all.

Truth, accepted facts and historic realities? From where Bangladesh stands now, sorry, not buying it. And actually, the nationalist Jews are an intolerant lot. Just look at them...

I do not claim to be a very educated person, I just tell what I consider to be right in my view point. No dispute about your sermon on Knowledge, value, humanity and mutual respect.But moral relativism which you are propagating here in this forum looks very ugly when there is a clear aggressor and victim in that said events and a huge power imbalance.One is a powerful militaristic state hellbent of crushing opposition and others are unarmed civilian population. Moreover a section of population who acted like Quisling during the war and still roaming free and propagating similar views like that you.So it became a little difficult to engage in debate without questioning the allegiance of that person towards his motherland.You know, questioning about allegiance is the 'lack of education' even if that questioned person is Golam Azam.Right?
Yes we know about a minority who doesn't claim to be the representative of Bangladesh despite living here and being granted citizenship.Nothing new.We are seeing them since 1971.

You should really let go party politics you know.

Yes, I am a representative of Bangladesh and we will go ahead no matter what.I don't know about whether Bangladesh will be 'powerful and Influential' But we will strive hard to make it poverty free, illiteracy free, corruption free with decent living standard and a dignified position among the family of nations.There will always be naysayer, but cultivating a dream and working to fulfill that is what count.There will be ups and downs,but the spirit of a determined nation doesn't extinguished that easily.

Well good luck on that. You (your party) will need it.

And just so you know, I just don't like your party. And I regret voting for it in the past. Your politics bore me. BNP? What am I going to do with a woman who passed 7th grade? She's of no value to me.

Time for changes, and yes there will be downs, but with a goal of strong nation where everyone can lead their lives in security and peace. And that is something that a majority of Bangladeshis would gladly comply with. And that is by saying 'Yes' for change. Get that into your mind.

Last edited:
A great piece of non-Western literature that every able commander/diplomat should have. So where is this 'Euro bias' you say it is? There are books on non-Western theaters of war.I would say there is a lack of research into not only 1971, but all South Asian wars in general. It is not that people are 'Euro-biased', it can also be
1948, 1965, 1999 Indo-Pak war are not monumental like ww1 or ww2 orr other historic war that raged on many decades even century.So, it is futile to expect these skirmish at best will get that kind of attention.Only significant war in recent sub-continent is 1971 war.It is our responsibility to beat the drum of our own.Then others will get attracted.But you don't like anything written which show Pakistan negatively.And blame for obsessing about past.Then how can that be possible?
There's truth in the discrimination part. Particularly in regards to jobs. Very few Bengalis spoke Urdu, and were not part of a labor force. There would have been some sort of opposition, no doubt.
So, just because Bengali didn't know Urdu, job discrimination was expected? Wasn't Bengali also a state language? Had any West Pakistani ever learned Bengali to get job? If we accept your reasoning then French speaking Canadian should not get any job in Canada unless they know English.Do you know the language policy of Canada? Or Switzerland? Once again, you are trying to absolve the responsibility of Pakistanis here.
Did we see the African-Americans demanding their own country? Or the Welsh due to their language? I have seen Tamils who do not speak Hindi, and yet are Indians first. The Sikhs went through a bloody period under Operation Bluestar, and yet are patriotic.
African American are not a majority in any US state.If they were than there was a logic in your argument.And you should visit Wales, Tamil Nadu and Punjab to see their economic condition vis-a-vis their respective country.They are actually privileged,better off.Again flimsy argument.
So discrimination due to language/ethnicity justifying a separate nation? Maybe. But that can be mitigated by have a strong law and actually letting a civilian do his/her job.
Was Pakistani ruling junta willing to do that?
You forgot one thing. The countries you mentioned do not have a big hostile neighbor right in the middle. And actually, Indonesia went through a lot till where it is now. Very complicated stuff. Oh wait, there's East Timor. Geography does matter.
Common threat perception of India actually could have bolstered the national cohesion if there were no blatant discrimination and racism.Forming East and West Pakistan was partly in a hope of tackling India collectively.Without that incentive, in 1947, perhaps two muslim majority country would have emerged.
Do you know the history of East Timor? They were occupied by Indonesia in 1975 forcefully and East Timori never accepted that.While Bengali muslims were at the forefront of Pakistan agitation.Again flimsy excuse.
Truth, accepted facts and historic realities? From where Bangladesh stands now, sorry, not buying it.And actually, the nationalist Jews are an intolerant lot. Just look at them...
Protesting or countering the holocaust denial is not jewish nationalism.It is a subject every jews consider morally compulsive to do.Militant jews are doing a lot of injustice towards Palestinian.You should not confuse this two things.You will not get support anywhere in the world, if you say, those jews, who are protesting holocaust denialism are Jewish militant nationalist oppressing Palestinian perhaps except from islamic militants.

You should really let go party politics you know.
Talking about Qisling/rajakar is not party politics. Most of the BNP fan also don't like Jamati rajakar.

And just so you know, I just don't like your party. And I regret voting for it in the past. Your politics bore me. BNP? What am I going to do with a woman who passed 7th grade? She's of no value to me.
I am not a politically active person.Never voted any one and do not care about Sheikh Hasina or AL.Anyone who betray or ridicule the singular most defining moment of our history and want to make Bangladesh a virtual Pakistan will get my disapproval.I find AL the lesser evil the country have to choose.If any party emerge more competent, more ideologically closer to a secular, democratic Bangladesh firmly committed to uphold the spirit of 1971, then they will get my support.

Last edited:
One can have many different opinions on this topic. Hasina doesn't represent all Bangladeshis for sure, however, she did make some smart moves as politically good for Bangladesh and its future. I really don't want to get in Hasina's election story, you guys are most welcome to google that chapter, then you will know how Hasina became the PM of BD. There is absolutely no reason for BD to hate Pakistan, however, India is the big fish in this pond, and for BD it must choose sides that are good for BD. BD doesn't have a good military like Pak so no way in hell BD is going to challenge India like Pakistan does, but to keep the balance, Hasina made better relation with China and brought more Chinese influence to BD through investment. Just because Pakistan, BD far away doesn't necessarily mean we don't need each other, both countries definitely can work together on many different fields I am sure. It's just my opinion.

Of course your dynamics are different and nobody here would blame you for that. The problem people here is over how your PM is using hate speech against Pakistan to accumulate domestic support. Pak Bd ties were I would say very good prior to her reemergence, and there was little negative opinion of Bangladesh in Pakistan. Hasina is slowly changing this. As I have said earlier on in this thread, Pakistan Bangladesh ties are bound to improve as long as politicians like her are not in the way, since we stand to gain nothing from bad ties given our geographic distance and the lack of threat we pose to each other.

Well, that was fast!

1948, 1965, 1999 Indo-Pak war is non monumental like ww1 or ww2.Or other historic war that raged on many decades even century.So, it is futile to expect this skirmish at best will get that attention like them.Only significant war in recent sub-continent is 1971 war.It is our responsibility to beat the drum of our own.Then others will get attracted.But you don't like anything written which show Pakistan negatively.And blame for obsessing about past.Then how can that be possible?

Wrong.

So, just because Bengali didn't know Urdu, job discrimination was expected? Wasn't Bengali also a state language? Had any West Pakistani ever learned Bengali to get job? If we accept your reasoning then French speaking Canadian should not get any job in Canada unless they know English.Do you know the language policy of Canada? Or Switzerland? Once again, you are trying to absolve the responsibility of Pakistanis here.

A country can have many languages and ethnic groups and be one country. So what is the problem?

And if you want to go to Islamabad with a kitchen knife and force them to comply with your views, then go right ahead. It is their country, their affairs as much as is our own. And if....IF we can perhaps reconcile our differences someday without antagonizing India and China, then it's a good thing. It's not rocket science.

African American are not a majority in any US state.If they were than there was a logic in your argument.And you should visit Wales, Tamil Nadu and Punjab to see their economic condition vis-a-vis their respective country.They are actually privileged,better off.Again flimsy argument.

Gee...I don't know...have you visited those places to see how they are? I think I have made my point perfectly clear.

And speaking of economic development, ever wonder why Dhaka is so congested? Throwing stones out of glass house I say.

Was Pakistani ruling junta willing to do that?

No. They failed to realize the error of their ways. So, what is the problem then?

Common threat perception of India actually could have bolstered the national cohesion if there were no blatant discrimination and racism.Forming East and West Pakistan was partly in a hope of tackling India collectively.Without that incentive, in 1947, perhaps two muslim majority country would have emerged.
Do you know the history of East Timor? They were occupied by Indonesia in 1975 forcefully and East Timori never accepted that.While Bengali muslims were at the forefront of Pakistan agitation.Again flimsy excuse.

Really? I think it is you who is coming up with excuses due to your distinct lack of knowledge and letting your feelings get past logic. And that is not a good thing.

Protesting or countering the holocaust denial is not jewish nationalism.It is a subject every jews consider morally compulsive to do.Militant jews are doing a lot of injustice towards Palestinian.You should not confuse this two things.You will not get support anywhere in the world, if you say, those jews, who are protesting holocaust denialism are Jewish militant nationalist oppressing Palestinian perhaps except from islamic militants.

It's irrelevant to the discussion.

Talking about Qisling/rajakar is not party politics. Most of the BNP fan also don't like Jamati rajakar.

Okay....

I am not a politically active person.Never voted any one and do not care about Sheikh Hasina or AL.Anyone who betray or ridicule the singular most defining moment of our history and want to make Bangladesh a virtual Pakistan will get my disapproval.I find AL the lesser evil the country have to choose.If any party emerge more competent, more ideologically closer to a secular, democratic Bangladesh firmly committed to uphold the spirit of 1971, then they will get my support.

:lol:

Pakistan/bangladesh relations are as relevant as Pakistan/South Pole or Pakistan/Congo relations. Pakistan's future lies with China, Turkey and the nations West of us of whom we share the most in common. Our destiny lies there. It's ridiculous we are even discussing something that is non-existent and meaningless.

Pakistan/bangladesh relations are as relevant as Pakistan/South Pole or Pakistan/Congo relations. Pakistan's future lies with China, Turkey and the nations West of us of whom we share the most in common. Our destiny lies there. It's ridiculous we are even discussing something that is non-existent and meaningless.

Then...why are you here? o_O

There is no future of bangla Pakistan relations until a good ruler comes in bangladesh , Hesina is deluded with hatred.
We have no interest in bangla other then muslims brotherhood , if bangla GVT and people don't appreciate that then well no future.

To point out the obvious which a lot of people are oblivious to.

I have been reading your posts for sometimes. You made your points.

I belive you are one track minded and instant result seeking individual. You remind me of me as 10 years younger. No hard feeling.

I would love to see BD no where near India but no way to ignore the reality of geography. We have to leave with it.

You may have nothing common with us(I differ from your view points) but this doesn't mean you want total absence from Bd territory. You just do not know what future uphold.

Bd is going through some transition period. There is a low lying civil war going on as we speak. Muslim nationslist vs Bengali nationalist.

At the end, Pak-Bd relationship will shape up who win the final battle.

A country can have many languages and ethnic groups and be one country. So what is the problem?
Nothing.. However problems do arise when a group is discriminated. And if that group has a sizeable population then you sure have a lot of problems.

And speaking of economic development, ever wonder why Dhaka is so congested? Throwing stones out of glass house I say.
Dhaka is not the richest city by per capita income. Plus Dhaka was being developed since British period. After partition of Bengal by British's in 1905 Dhaka was the capital of this side. Motijheel area and parliament area and some other areas were developed during Pakistan period. Even in that time Dhaka saw more development compared other E.Pak cities. However decentralization is necessary. And hopefully it will happen in a few decades.

No. They failed to realize the error of their ways. So, what is the problem then?
And they don't till this day. Anyone who points out that error is branded as a traitor. We couldn't and shouldn't put up with that forever. One day we had to tell enough is enough and part ways. That's what we did although we had to fight a bloody war for it.

Last edited:
I have been reading your posts for sometimes. You made your points.

I belive you are one track minded and instant result seeking individual. You remind me of me as 10 years younger. No hard feeling.

I would love to see BD no where near India but no way to ignore the reality of geography. We have to leave with it.

You may have nothing common with us(I differ from your view points) but this doesn't mean you want total absence from Bd territory. You just do not know what future uphold.

Bd is going through some transition period. There is a low lying civil war going on as we speak. Muslim nationslist vs Bengali nationalist.

At the end, Pak-Bd relationship will shape up who win the final battle.

But the reality is, what happens in bangladesh does not affect Pakistan in the slightest. Whether anyone agress or likes it or not, the 2 nations who's internal situations have the biggest impact on Pakistan is Iran and Afghanistan. Events from 1979 to the present are evident of this. Until we don't stabilize our relations with them, bangladesh is a far away thought to Pakistan as is the Congo or Timbuktu.

But the reality is, what happens in bangladesh does not affect Pakistan in the slightest. Whether anyone agress or likes it or not, the 2 nations who's internal situations have the biggest impact on Pakistan is Iran and Afghanistan. Events from 1979 to the present are evident of this. Until we don't stabilize our relations with them, bangladesh is a far away thought to Pakistan as is the Congo or Timbuktu.
How's your relation going with Afghanistan and Iran?

Back
Top Bottom