What's new

Factbox: Pakistan's blasphemy law strikes fear in minorities

After reading some posts here, let me clarify the view to those who sound a bit confused.

People who are against the blasphemy law & want it repealed (such as myself) are not intending to disrespect their courts. Court’s job is to hear all facts by defendent and their legal defence & plaintiff/state prosecutor. Based on evidence and based on the applicable laws, a verdict is given out.

Now yes granted, she was found guilty. However it is the actual law that we are not accepting. You can say ''why don’t you respect the laws’’

Why should I, in my good conscience, support a law which calls for people to be sentenced to DEATH based on shoddy evidence; based on intolerance; based on the fact that ANYBODY can say ANYBODY blasphemed.

In a court of law, ''word of mouth’’ (i.e. verbal testimony from 1, 2, 8, even 100 witnesses) does NOT constitute evidence. It is only TESTIMONY. How the hell can you decide the fate of someone’s existence based only on testimony.

And I say it again and again --- even if she did engage in blasphemy, have we become so bloody insecure as Muslims that if somebody speaks against something or someone we believe in, that we have to engage in mob mentality and suddenly scream bloody murder? If you have a strong Iman, then nothing should be able to influence your PERSONAL relationship between yourself and Allah SWT and the deen itself.

And in the WORST case scenario (the law doesn’t get repealed) then it should at least be applicable to other religious groups too –our minority groups. Our laws should address our minorities instead of addressing the majority, in my opinion. The Quaid e Azam was very specific about his wishes for Muslims and non-Muslims in Pakistan.

Do YOU respect Quaid e Azam and his vision for Pakistan? Don’t you?

After reading some posts here, let me clarify the view to those who sound a bit confused.

People who are against the blasphemy law & want it repealed (such as myself) are not intending to disrespect their courts. Court’s job is to hear all facts by defendent and their legal defence & plaintiff/state prosecutor. Based on evidence and based on the applicable laws, a verdict is given out.

Now yes granted, she was found guilty. However it is the actual law that we are not accepting. You can say ''why don’t you respect the laws’’

Why should I, in my good conscience, support a law which calls for people to be sentenced to DEATH based on shoddy evidence; based on intolerance; based on the fact that ANYBODY can say ANYBODY blasphemed.

In a court of law, ''word of mouth’’ (i.e. verbal testimony from 1, 2, 8, even 100 witnesses) does NOT constitute evidence. It is only TESTIMONY. How the hell can you decide the fate of someone’s existence based only on testimony.

And I say it again and again --- even if she did engage in blasphemy, have we become so bloody insecure as Muslims that if somebody speaks against something or someone we believe in, that we have to engage in mob mentality and suddenly scream bloody murder? If you have a strong Iman, then nothing should be able to influence your PERSONAL relationship between yourself and Allah SWT and the deen itself.

And in the WORST case scenario (the law doesn’t get repealed) then it should at least be applicable to other religious groups too –our minority groups. Our laws should address our minorities instead of addressing the majority, in my opinion. The Quaid e Azam was very specific about his wishes for Muslims and non-Muslims in Pakistan.

Do YOU respect Quaid e Azam and his vision for Pakistan? Don’t you?

These people are just mafia, you saw what happened in the danish cartoon episode, half of lahore was burning. There needs to be an operation in the major cities just like in mexico where scores of the mafia have been shot dead.

yes i remember i was in Lahore during those riots and it was a smoggy day because those bloody nitwits were out, burning tires and destroying fast food places like hooligans

and the sad thing is, they just damage public property and cause more hardship than any good

these types of people can bring nothing good for the country at all; nothing to offer except slogans and bullcrap

People who are against the blasphemy law & want it repealed (such as myself) are not intending to disrespect their courts

Sir, consider it done…..then what?......how you gonna uproot the love for Prophet (PBUH) from the hearts of people?……are you not aware about the fact that how many people got killed even after their fate have been decided by the court of law?......so, what is the point in repealing…..…do you really think it will solve the problem?

And one thing more sir, have you ever searched the hadees books about blasphemy in Islam........?.......are you really thinking that millions of Muslims are just being fooled by some religious scholars even when there is no such thing in Islam?

Sir, consider it done…..then what?......how you gonna uproot the love for Prophet (PBUH) from the hearts of people?……

why the HELL would I want to do that??? According to you, is that my goal??

:what:

are you not aware about the fact that how many people got killed even after their fate have been decided by the court of law?

as our friend Xeric rightly put it, the people are also to blame

......so, what is the point in repealing…..…do you really think it will solve the problem?

it takes away the ''legality'' of such sentences and it's a damn good start!

and it should be followed by arresting people who try to take the law into their own hands --- in any situation.

Pakistan is a civilized country, we are in 2011; not 1111.

And one thing more sir, have you ever searched the hadees books about blasphemy in Islam........?.......are you really thinking that millions of Muslims are just being fooled by some religious scholars even when there is no such thing in Islam?

That is exactly what I am saying.

Millions? Hopefully not! But enough idiots to do enough damage.

like those so-called ''lawyers'' who are hailing this lunatic Qadri as a ''hero''

that is EXACTLY what I am saying, sir.

as i was reading articles on the net , I read somewhere that Aasia bibi was gang raped before being arrested?Is that true

why the HELL would I want to do that??? According to you, is that my goal??

Of course not sir je, this is not what I meant to. I used this sentence in a different context……….you misunderstood my words or may be its me who did not explain it well as I know myself not being good in putting my thoughts the way I though them out…..anyway, let me try it again……..consider there is absolutely no restriction on saying anything about Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) by law, but does that mean that someone who will insult Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) will not be killed? or his/her killer will be afraid of being hanged?......of course not. No matter what amendment you made, this will happen again and again. In my view, only two solutions are possible. First, prove that no such penalty exists in Islam for blasphemer and make it public (and ya! I said prove it, not just say “black law” again and again). Second, if the restriction does exist then make people to believe on their court of law by putting hang to death penalty on false accuser as well, no matter what happens, who will be the defendant or accuser, all these cases should always be investigated by high court judges, no police involvement…..and enforce this law with full force……this definitely will help to reduce make use of this law as a tool of harassment.

it takes away the ''legality'' of such sentences and it's a damn good start!

And where you want to take it?

Pakistan is a civilized country, we are in 2011; not 1111

Need explanation before I share my point of view…..and BTW this is a very strange standard of being civilized don’t you think?

That is exactly what I am saying.

Let it, I will explain this to you in detail…..right now I am compiling some facts on this matter.

Back
Top Bottom