What's new

Factbox: Pakistan's blasphemy law strikes fear in minorities

Hindutvadi

BANNED
Reaction score
(Reuters) - Pakistan's anti-blasphemy law has been in the spotlight since November when a court sentenced a Christian mother of four to death, in a case that has exposed deep rifts in the troubled Muslim nation of more than 170 million people.

While liberal Pakistanis and rights groups believe the law to be dangerously discriminatory against the country's tiny minority groups, Asia Bibi's case has become a lightning rod for the country's religious right.

On Tuesday, the governor of the most populous state of Punjab, Salman Taseer, who had strongly opposed the law and sought presidential pardon for the 45-year-old Christian farmhand, was gunned down by one of his bodyguards.

Here some facts about the blasphemy law and its fallout.

* The law has its roots in 19th century colonial legislation to protect places of worship, but it was during the military dictatorship of General Mohammad Zia ul-Haq in the 1980s that it acquired teeth as part of a drive to Islamize the state.

* Under the law, anyone who speaks ill of Islam and the Prophet Mohammad commits a crime and faces the death penalty but activists say the vague terminology has led to its misuse. The law stipulates that "derogatory remarks, etc., in respect of the Holy Prophet either spoken or written, or by visible representation, or by any imputation, innuendo or insinuation, directly or indirectly shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life, and shall also be liable to fine."

* Christians who make up 4 percent of Pakistan's population have been especially concerned about the law saying it offers them no protection. Convictions hinge on witness testimony and often these are linked to personal vendettas, they say.

* Blasphemy convictions are common in Pakistan, although the death sentence has never been carried out. Most convictions are thrown out on appeal, but angry mobs have killed many people accused of blasphemy.

* In 2009, 40 houses and a church were set ablaze by a mob of 1,000 Muslims in the town of Gojra, Punjab. At least seven Christians were burned to death. The attacks were triggered by reports of the desecration of the Koran. Police had already registered a case under Section 295C against three Christians for blasphemy.

Last July, two Christian brothers accused of writing a blasphemous letter against the Prophet Mohammad were gunned down outside a court in the eastern city of Faisalabad.

Hence a conviction or even an accusation under this law is often a death sentence, activists say.

* Some attempts have been made in the past to either repeal the law or try and amend the provisions to prevent their misuse, but each time the government has faced the wrath of religious conservatives. The current administration has ruled out scrapping the law altogether, saying such a move would hand a weapon to religious extremists and fuel militancy at a time when it is struggling to tackle it.

* Islamist parties have warned against any attempt to change the law, seeing it as a dilution of the country's Islamist character under foreign pressure. On December 31, thousands of supporters led a nationwide strike warning any attempt to change the law would only be "over their dead bodies."

* Earlier in December, a pro-Taliban Muslim cleric offered a $5,800 reward to anyone who killed the Christian woman, Bibi, in prison, angered by attempts, by among others governor Taseer, to save her from the gallows.

Factbox: Pakistan's blasphemy law strikes fear in minorities | Reuters

(Reuters) - Pakistan's anti-blasphemy law has been in the spotlight since November when a court sentenced a Christian mother of four to death, in a case that has exposed deep rifts in the troubled Muslim nation of more than 170 million people.

While liberal Pakistanis and rights groups believe the law to be dangerously discriminatory against the country's tiny minority groups, Asia Bibi's case has become a lightning rod for the country's religious right.

On Tuesday, the governor of the most populous state of Punjab, Salman Taseer, who had strongly opposed the law and sought presidential pardon for the 45-year-old Christian farmhand, was gunned down by one of his bodyguards.

Here some facts about the blasphemy law and its fallout.

* The law has its roots in 19th century colonial legislation to protect places of worship, but it was during the military dictatorship of General Mohammad Zia ul-Haq in the 1980s that it acquired teeth as part of a drive to Islamize the state.

* Under the law, anyone who speaks ill of Islam and the Prophet Mohammad commits a crime and faces the death penalty but activists say the vague terminology has led to its misuse. The law stipulates that "derogatory remarks, etc., in respect of the Holy Prophet either spoken or written, or by visible representation, or by any imputation, innuendo or insinuation, directly or indirectly shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life, and shall also be liable to fine."

* Christians who make up 4 percent of Pakistan's population have been especially concerned about the law saying it offers them no protection. Convictions hinge on witness testimony and often these are linked to personal vendettas, they say.

* Blasphemy convictions are common in Pakistan, although the death sentence has never been carried out. Most convictions are thrown out on appeal, but angry mobs have killed many people accused of blasphemy.

* In 2009, 40 houses and a church were set ablaze by a mob of 1,000 Muslims in the town of Gojra, Punjab. At least seven Christians were burned to death. The attacks were triggered by reports of the desecration of the Koran. Police had already registered a case under Section 295C against three Christians for blasphemy.

Last July, two Christian brothers accused of writing a blasphemous letter against the Prophet Mohammad were gunned down outside a court in the eastern city of Faisalabad.

Hence a conviction or even an accusation under this law is often a death sentence, activists say.

* Some attempts have been made in the past to either repeal the law or try and amend the provisions to prevent their misuse, but each time the government has faced the wrath of religious conservatives. The current administration has ruled out scrapping the law altogether, saying such a move would hand a weapon to religious extremists and fuel militancy at a time when it is struggling to tackle it.

* Islamist parties have warned against any attempt to change the law, seeing it as a dilution of the country's Islamist character under foreign pressure. On December 31, thousands of supporters led a nationwide strike warning any attempt to change the law would only be "over their dead bodies."

* Earlier in December, a pro-Taliban Muslim cleric offered a $5,800 reward to anyone who killed the Christian woman, Bibi, in prison, angered by attempts, by among others governor Taseer, to save her from the gallows.

Factbox: Pakistan's blasphemy law strikes fear in minorities | Reuters

WHY DIDNT you highlighted this
"Pakistan's anti-blasphemy law has been in the spotlight since November when a court sentenced a Christian mother of four to death, in a case that has exposed deep rifts in the troubled Muslim nation of more than 170 million people."

Court sentenced her based on evidences and the Law is right.... i dont understand what sort of problems you indians have with this law..

In india your have killed millions of Muslims , Christians etc....
In COURT she was proven guilty ..............end of story....
it was not like someone got killed on street like in india where muslims are being target daily by hindus....

:pakistan:

Next phase of talibanisation of pakistan?
Sad Indeed.
Unfortunately this is NOT Talibanisation, but something akin to a gas stove left leaking until someone struck a matchstick.

I see it as an urgent call to take a look at the laws of the country to meet the aspirations of the people of Pakistan as they are today.
The nation seems to be divided (from the comments I have been reading since yesterday on this forum) and I feel it is at the crossroads today where the decision it takes in will change the course of its future and its perception in the world.

We dont have them as well but she was proven guilty now if she is Christian then why you and other want to support her just coz she is Christian ?????
sick ppl
I am perfectly healthy thank you.
I don't support her because she is Christian, but rather support her as a human being. As a human being I am entitled to have my opinion on certain things and I feel that she should be entitled to the same. She does not deserve to die because of what she did.

Tell me honestly if you can see any similarity between her and a murderer?

you don't need laws, you kill minorities without any regards.and there is no law to protect them
You are trying to go offtopic here and I don't want to derail the thread. We don't have any blasphemy laws sorry.
As for protecting minorities, you are right, there are no laws specific to a certain minority, everyone is treated equal.

I am perfectly healthy thank you.
I don't support her because she is Christian, but rather support her as a human being. As a human being I am entitled to have my opinion on certain things and I feel that she should be entitled to the same. She does not deserve to die because of what she did.

Tell me honestly if you can see any similarity between her and a murderer?

As a human being she didnt have any right to say bad things about our Prophet in the first place which is proved in court......

so the Law of 'Islamic Republic of Pakistan' needed to be followed... and again the guy shouldnt have taken things in his hand my killing governer, case is regisered against him and court will provide justice...

You are trying to go offtopic here and I don't want to derail the thread. We don't have any blasphemy laws sorry.
As for protecting minorities, you are right, there are no laws specific to a certain minority, everyone is treated equal.

i doubt it that everyone in india treated equal .....
muslims are always treated like animals and even i was reading one article on cnn/bbc that muslims cant even open bank accounts etc..

As a human being she didnt have any right to say bad things about our Prophet in the first place which is proved in court......
See you can try to justify her sentencing as much as you can because it is a law of the book and that of your country. I simply asked you to tell me the difference between a murdered and her from a humanitarian angle.

i doubt it that everyone in india treated equal .....
muslims are always treated like animals and even i was reading one article on cnn/bbc that muslims cant even open bank accounts etc..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh c'mmon... are you really serious about your comments? Can you please point me to the article on cnn or bbc?

Don't quote me from blogging sites.... I am allergic to them.

See you can try to justify her sentencing as much as you can because it is a law of the book and that of your country. I simply asked you to tell me the difference between a murdered and her from a humanitarian angle.

humanitarian angle is that she shouldnt have hurt others feelings in the first place......

humanitarian values are different in different areas......

Back
Top Bottom