What's new

Earth quake strikes India and Bangladesh

PM calls up Sikkim CM offering all possible help after quake

With a major earthquake rocking mountaneous state of Sikkim, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday spoke to its chief minister Pawan Kumar Chamling and offered help in all possible ways, including availability of defence forces.

The Prime Minister directed Cabinet Secretary to call an emergency meeting of the National Disaster Management Authority, PMO sources said.

The Prime Minister spoke to the Chief Minister soon after an earthquake of 6.8 intensity hit the state, causing extensive damage in the state.

During the conversation with the CM, the Prime Minister offered all possible help, including making available defence forces for rescue and relief

PM calls up Sikkim CM offering all possible help after quake - India - DNA

I got hurt by a flower vass but i am ok now but scared.i was in my living room at that moment

damn these earth quakes was in a cafe with friends when i felt it though it was of very low power

Earthquake rocks Sikkim, one dies

New Delhi: One child succumbed to injuries after a 6.8 magnitude earthquake on Sunday in Sikkim, Chief Secretary of Sikkim Karma Gyatso said. One person was reportedly dead in Bhagalpur district of Bihar in a stampede following the tremors. Five people were reported dead in Nepal.

An earthquake measuring 6.8 on the richter scale hit North India on Sunday at 6:10 pm and the epicentre was 64 km from Gangtok in Sikkim, causing major damages in the area. Mild tremors were felt in Delhi and other parts of North India. Tremors were felt in Patna, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal also.

Aftershocks measuring 6.1 and 5.3 on the richter scale were also felt around Sikkim 20 minutes after the earthquake.
Speaking to CNN-IBN, the DGP of Sikkim said that many buildings were damaged. He also said that roads were blocked and people were stranded on roads. He said that the Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling has called for an emergency meeting.
Arvind Kumar, Principal Resident Commissioner of Sikkim said that there was excessive damage in the northern parts of Sikkim. He also said that the rescue operations had started in the area.

There were also reports of landslides following the earthquake in areas around Sikkim and also Darjeeling.
The Prime Minister also spoke to the Sikkim Chief Minister and offered all help. The Prime Minister also directed the Cabinet Secretary to call for an emergency meeting.

There were reports of damages from Bihar. Two buildings collapsed in Katihar in Bihar. The NTPC power plant in Kahalgaon in Bihar has also been shut down because of the earthquake following which North Bihar was under power crisis.:cry:

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

6.8-magnitude quake strikes northern India

[/COLOR]Anyone from sikkhim on this forum?? Epicenter of this quake is in sikkhim...

I am from Sikkim, mate. But right now not in the state. It is terrible. One kid has already succumbed to injuries and 7 others are injured. Not to mention I cannot contact anyone of my house members there since the damn mobile phones won't work. Communication lines are down. Praying that all are okay.

Guardian just reported at least 6 dead in India and 6 in Nepal. Sad sad news indeed. Pray for all

even it has happened in India too ...in the area of Sikkim and NE states..

Earthquake in India and Bangladesh and flooding in Pakistan.

Terrible times for South Asia. :(

Not just South Asia mate.... it is happening world over a little too frequently.

Back
Top Bottom