Strong earthquake strikes China's southwestern Sichuan province

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

Strong earthquake strikes China's southwestern Sichuan province​

Sept 5 (Reuters)
- An earthquake of magnitude 6.8 struck a mountainous area in the west of China's Sichuan province after midday on Monday, the China Earthquake Networks Centre said.
The epicentre was located at the town of Luding at a depth of 16 kilometers, the centre said, about 180 km (111 miles) southwest of Sichuan's capital Chengdu.

Netizens from as far away as Changsha and Xian said they had felt the quake in Sichuan.

Minutes later, a second quake with a magnitude of 4.2 struck the city of Yaan near Luding, according to the centre.

No casualties have been reported so far.

Latest posted videos about the strong quake

Locals received the earthquake warning from the national earthquake monitoring system on their cellphones 30 seconds before this earthquake. 30 seconds are not enough for the people to get to the safety, useless..

Last edited:
Locals received the earthquake warning from the national earthquake monitoring system on their cellphones 30 seconds before this earthquake. 30 seconds are not enough for the people to get to the safety, useless..

Correct me if I am wrong but you cant increase that time since it would mostly be based on sesimic reading, which would trigger the meter of an impending earthquake, not couple of minutes or hours before

World is getting more dangerous every days, the Four Horsemen ride on.

Are u kidding? 30 seconds is good. Having worked on earthquake prediction systems, this is not bad. If u increase that time, it will lead to many false alarms.

An earthquake of magnitude 6.8 occurred in Sichuan province in inland China. At least seven people have died. This is a video of Chengdu, more than 200 kilometers away from the epicenter. The famous hot pot is shaking greatly due to the earthquake that occurred at noon on the 5th. The bright red soup is also spilled on the table. A 6.8-magnitude earthquake hit the mountainous region of Sichuan province shortly before 1pm, Chinese authorities said. At least seven people have been confirmed dead in the quake, according to the local government. In addition, large-scale landslides occurred and roads were cut off. The local fire department has dispatched a rescue team of about 500 people.

Already 7 casualties - RIP.

[Beijing Kyodo] An earthquake of magnitude (M) 6.8 occurred in Luding County, Guangze Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China, at 0:52 pm (1:52 Japan time) on the 5th, killing people as of the night of the 5th. reached 46 people. 16 people are missing and more than 50 injured. Chinese media reported. The Xi Jinping leadership took the damage seriously and instructed to give top priority to saving lives. Authorities dispatched more than 6,500 relief workers from the People's Liberation Army, armed police, firefighters and medical teams. There are many villages around the epicenter of Luding County. The neighboring city of Ya'an also suffered damage. Strong tremors and landslides destroyed houses, cut roads, and caused aftershocks.
Already 46 dead, this is a disaster.

Can anyone tell me why Sichuan usually has these deadly quakes? I thought it's a mostly inland area.

30 seconds is enough time to significantly reduce the deaths. But it should not be false positive. If false positive happens 2-3 times, people will ignore it.

Are u kidding? 30 seconds is good. Having worked on earthquake prediction systems, this is not bad. If u increase that time, it will lead to many false alarms.
What can I do in 30 seconds? Not even enough for me to run into the street.

Already 46 dead, this is a disaster.

Can anyone tell me why Sichuan usually has these deadly quakes? I thought it's a mostly inland area.
Southern Sichuan is located at the junction of the Eurasian plate and the South Asian subcontinent plate, so earthquakes are frequent.

Similar to Japan and Taiwan, they are located at the junction of the Eurasian plate and the Pacific plate.

What can I do in 30 seconds? Not even enough for me to run into the street.

Southern Sichuan is located at the junction of the Eurasian plate and the South Asian subcontinent plate, so earthquakes are frequent.

Similar to Japan and Taiwan, they are located at the junction of the Eurasian plate and the Pacific plate.
About time China build special earthquake-resistance houses in Sichuan then.

About time China build special earthquake-resistance houses in Sichuan then.
Yes. Since 2008, the Chinese govt has been replacing houses in southern Sichuan with earthquake resistant houses.

The 2008 earthquake killed 87587 people. Now the Sichuan earthquake usually doesn't kill many people.

It is impossible to absolutely avoid earthquake deaths. Look at Japan. Every year, more than 100 people die from earthquakes.

Japan has resisted earthquakes for thousands of years, and all of their houses are designed against earthquakes.

Yes. Since 2008, the Chinese govt has been replacing houses in southern Sichuan with earthquake resistant houses.

The 2008 earthquake killed 87587 people. Now the Sichuan earthquake usually doesn't kill many people.

It is impossible to absolutely avoid earthquake deaths. Look at Japan. Every year, more than 100 people die from earthquakes.

Japan has resisted earthquakes for thousands of years, and all of their houses are designed against earthquakes.

The japanese should be worried too, 2008 earthquake in Sichuan, 2011 earthquake in Japan, it might be the same quake, just take a long time to come.

The japanese should be worried too, 2008 earthquake in Sichuan, 2011 earthquake in Japan, it might be the same quake, just take a long time to come.
The 30 second warning time is too short. I hope that China, Japan and other countries can cooperate in the field of earthquake warning. And donate the research results to the United Nations for promotion. This will save many innocent lives.

Back
Top Bottom