What's new

Dhaka v/s Kolkata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dhaka is almost inhabitable -

1. It doesn't have a mass public transport system.
2. Doesn't have high value good service industry.
3. No light life and bars/pubs.
4. No Cinemas/Multiplexes and movie industry.
5. No good university, Engg/management schools.
6. Volatile political situation where extremist jamati/hefajatis run amok every now and then.

While most part of Kolkata still looks like they haven't changed a bit since 70s but it still has

1. IT, Pharma and other high value, pollution less industry.
2. Jadavpur Uni, Bengal Engg College, IIM Joka, IIT KGP, ISI Kolkata and other top Indian universities, reaserch institutions.
3. A Nightlife where girls can equally enjoy with boys, while being careful offcourse! :P
4. Good movie industry + multiplexes.
5. Functioning transport + metro.
etc etc.

Bangladesh now have higher per capita then west Bengal. Bangladesh will left West Bengal way behind in coming decades. Also i was surprised to see population density of both Bengals is similar.

Kolkata Airport:

kolkata_airport_rmjm030408_1.jpg

NSCBI_photo-2_1.jpg

M_Id_383535_FP.jpg

20April-chced-a_TH_1434951g.jpg

93_full.jpg

1366193271_502631721_1-Urgent-vacancy-in-kolkata-airport-Belghariya.jpg

bl20_kolkataairpor_1336283g.jpg

New-Chennai-Airport.jpg

The guy you quoted is comparing old data of West Bengal of 2009 with of Bangladesh of 2012-13.:omghaha:

Not really, Bangladesh have higher per capita now. Not much difference anyway but still around $50 higher.

kolkata is better. @LaBong 's post 16 says it all

Last edited by a moderator:
Dhaka's public transport system is improving. We now have many flyovers in the city. The flyovers are not just one or two km long. There is already a 12 km elevated expressway linking 30 districts with with it. Anothed 10 km Elevated 3 story flyover is under construction. BRT is in constducyion stage now. MRT will take time. Hopefully next year the construction will start.

It does have night life at elite areas like Gulshan and Banani but since its Muslim nation the bars and clubs are seen as taboo here and also society is still conservative. Will not let anyone have party at mid night.

There are like thousands of shopping centres. The 3rd biggest mall in Asia is here. Even Bashundhara City is also one of the biggest in South Asia.

There is movie industry but since the industry is crap and bollywood is not allowed yet there are only two multiplexes in the city as of now but currently 3/4 cineplexes are in construction.

There are good universities. Dhaka University was the oxford of the subcontinent but now that glory is not there but BUET is one of the best engg uni in the subcontinent. Also many Pakistani and Indians are studying in Dhaka medical and Salimullah medical.

Bangladesh now have higher per capita then west Bengal. Bangladesh will left West Bengal way behind in coming decades. Also i was surprised to see population density of both Bengals is similar.

As of 2008, Lahore's gross domestic product (GDP) by purchasing power parity (PPP) was estimated at $40 billion.:omghaha:

Economy of Lahore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not really, Bangladesh have higher per capita now. Not much difference anyway but still around $50 higher.
Show me the data.:azn:

Dhaka's public transport system is improving. We now have many flyovers in the city. The flyovers are not just one or two km long. There is already a 12 km elevated expressway linking 30 districts with with it. Anothed 10 km Elevated 3 story flyover is under construction. BRT is in constducyion stage now. MRT will take time. Hopefully next year the construction will start.

It does have night life at elite areas like Gulshan and Banani but since its Muslim nation the bars and clubs are seen as taboo here and also society is still conservative. Will not let anyone have party at mid night.

There are like thousands of shopping centres. The 3rd biggest mall in Asia is here. Even Bashundhara City is also one of the biggest in South Asia.

There is movie industry but since the industry is crap and bollywood is not allowed yet there are only two multiplexes in the city as of now but currently 3/4 cineplexes are in construction.

There are good universities. Dhaka University was the oxford of the subcontinent but now that glory is not there but BUET is one of the best engg uni in the subcontinent. Also many Pakistani and Indians are studying in Dhaka medical and Salimullah medical.

Dhaka's transport system will be no good unless you guys put an end to rikshaws. Damn it's like the riskshaw capital of the world.

Why is that many Bangladeshis come to Kolkata for shopping?

There are some BD medical students in this forum, and I personally know some doctors in Kolkata who have been among my best friends since school days. I must say dude, I'd really avoid Bangladeshi doctors, and so do most sensible Bangladeshis judging by the constant inflow of patients! :P

Labong da,

Rickshaws are eco friendly transport. Dhaka without rickshaw is unimaginable but the main roads will be completely rickshaw free gradually. There are many roads which are currently rickshaw free.

Metro will take some time. Its a very long project. Will take 2020 may be to have a metro but metro is not everything. BRT will be there in two years.

You should not generalize on hospital. Apollo Hospital, Square hospital etc are intl standard hospitals but some Bangladeshis like to avoid anything 'Deshi'so they go for Singapore mount Elizabeth hospital for simple check up also. Most are the politians and industrialists who go there.

Some doctors are very good. Even many foreign patients come to Harun Eye Hospital or OSB hospital for lasik surgery. I petsonally know a guy who said when he went to OSB he talked with an Indian patient wanted to be pilot who was referred here by some Indian doctors to get lasik at OSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom