What's new

DEFENCE BASED PRODUCTS OF DR. A. Q. KRL

VisionHawk

Reaction score
DEFENCE BASED PRODUCTS OF DR. A. Q. KHAN RESEARCH LABORATORIES (KRL)

Dr. A. Q. Khan Research laboratories were established on July 31st 1976 as Engineering Research Laboratories under the able guidance of Dr. Khan with the prime purpose of equipping our nation with an unbeatable deterrent.

More than 24 years have passed and today the laboratories have grown into a full-fledge Research and Industrial Complex with a manpower of approximately Eight Thousand skilled and professional people. After the achievement of main target by the laboratories, the work at Kahuta expanded towards a broad range of defence based products.

Among the wide spectrum of these products, Anza MK-I and Anza MK-II stand out as the most significant contribution of KRL to the armed forces of Pakistan. The MK-I Weapon System was introduced in the Pakistan Armed Forces in 1990. It is highly reliable, light in weight and easily portable by a single man. It is incorporated with an Electro-mechanical impact fuse and a self-destruction device for warhead. This missile has a cruising speed of 500 m/sec with an effective range of 4,200 meters.

The improved version of Anza MK-I is Anza MK-II, the speed of which has been increased to 600 m/sec. The effective range has also been increased to 5000 meters.

The complete work sequence of Anza MK-II – its flight motor assembly – the launch motor assembly and the assembling of the combination power unit are all carried out in a similar manner as of Anza MK-I. Different tests like checking of the air tightness, center of gravity, temperature etc. are performed on the missiles before giving it an all clear signal. The assembling and testing of the target coordinator is carried out with great precision during the optical assembly as well, after which the final calibration of the assembled missile is performed. Other similar tests are also conducted to confirm that the missile would reach its target safely with it getting blown-off before the final strike on the target. These include the impact load test and the vibration tests etc. The missile in tube assembly is also tested on computerized machines to ensure that all the individual components and the complete missile itself is up to the international standards. Both these missiles, Anza MK-I and Anza MK-II, are compatible with all latest SAMs, in the world today.

These two missiles, therefore, have earned a proud reputation of a reliable weapon with all the capabilities to match the modern-day defence equipment. But, to the top list of all the Defence based products is Baktar Shikan – the proud production of KRL – also known as Green Arrow. A second-generation anti-tank missile weapon system, it pursues the principle of optical aiming, IR tracking signal and automatically generated, remotely controlled and wire transmitted guidance signals. This system can quickly be disassembled into the following sub-units, each not weighing more than 25 Kgs, thus making the system man-portable. These sub-units are;

The Encased Missile

The IR Goniometer

The Guidance Unit and

The Tripod Assembly

Baktar Shikan, which is in use by the Pakistan Army, has almost the same manufacturing work sequence as of Anza missile weapon system. Baktar Shikan comprises of three sections;

The Tail Section

The Middle Section and

The Warhead Assembly

Tripod Assembly of the missile demands immense precision in its manufacture as a sudden movement in the wrong direction can result in the misfiring of the missile. Hence, the weight of the missile has to be checked very carefully so as to enable the tripod assembly to work accurately.

The Guidance Unit is also mounted on the missile to give accurate detection of the signal for its guidance. Thus together, the IR Goniometer and the guidance unit are mounted on the encased missile to be further mounted on the tripod. This unique weapon system is capable of destroying all known targets at range up to 3000 meters, with hit and penetration probability of 90% and a mean flying speed of 220 meters per second. It can work in all weather conditions and can sustain a temperature range of –40 to +50 degree Celsius.

KRL, from every aspect, reflect the firm conviction of its founder, Dr. A. Q. Khan, that it must utilize its potentials to the best and that the elevation of collective efforts must precede towards excellence – excellence in each and every field in which the Laboratories at present are working. A full-fledged setup was thus established to manufacture Power Electronics and Opto-Electronics Equipment.

One of the major achievements of this Division is the production of the Laser Range Finder. This Laser Range Finder can locate and fix the artillery and mortar targets. It can be used for navigation purposes in port for ships and boats, likewise is can also make topographical surveys of a certain area. It has a range of 150-10,000 meter (m) and, in clear visibility, it can cover up to 20 Km as well.

Another similar product is the Laser Actuated Target System. It is ideal for the training of operators and tank gunners using aiming sights integrated with Laser Range Finders and Designators. Extreme care and precision is taken in the manufacturing and the testing of these equipment in order to ensure that these products meet the MIL specification of environmental conditions for similar military equipment.

Besides these significant defence products contributions to the nation, KRL is engaged in the production of innumerable other defence accessories and commercial products.

These facilities, indigenously acquired over long period of time are tribute to the leadership of Dr. A. Q. Khan and his team of dedicated and committed scientists and engineers who have proved not only to themselves but to the whole nation that the task of nation building might be difficult but with strong will and commitment to your cause – together – we can really work wonders!

very nice
but there is one problem vision can we have some mentioning of the source from where u had copied this material oppppssssssss! sorry vision no offense realy was menat, im asking this bcuz its very unfair not credit the source for the stuff we take from and than post on any forum.
hope u understand.

All these developments happened ages ago. I dont see anything new comming out of KRL.

The Green Arrow is a Pakistani version of the Chinese Red Arrow.

I would expect a lot more from an organisation like KRL.

i am not impressed, they should come up with new style vehicle mounted mortars, or granade launchers etc, some reactive armour etc...

If you are talking about combat vehicles such as Tanks, IFVs and/or APCs and their respective 'reactive armours' then that is a task performed by Heavy Industries Taxilla. KRL has hardly anything to do with that as KRL isn't the only organization involved in defence equipment design and production in Pakistan.

well they can always design new weapons and then pass it on to the Heavy Industries Taxilla. I mean Technology should come from KRL and manufacturing be done in Taxila. I have always wanted to install vulcan systems on Armored vehicles, and should fire uranium rounds at hight rate of fire, this will give a low level support to our armoured divisions against helicopters and UAVs etc.... How about also converting the sidewinders ordered in large numbers from US recently and change them into shoulder fired missiles, or equip them in mobile anti air batteries. Just a thought.

As far as the sidewinder idea is concerned. Pakistan already uses (limited) PL-10 for that.

well they can always design new weapons and then pass it on to the Heavy Industries Taxilla. I mean Technology should come from KRL and manufacturing be done in Taxila. I have always wanted to install vulcan systems on Armored vehicles, and should fire uranium rounds at hight rate of fire, this will give a low level support to our armoured divisions against helicopters and UAVs etc.... How about also converting the sidewinders ordered in large numbers from US recently and change them into shoulder fired missiles, or equip them in mobile anti air batteries. Just a thought.
side effect of uranium rounds much deadly on user, that why EU thinking to bann these rounds.the above article not include ANZA-3 which is mounted on mobile carriers

i think this is gr8 people need to realize that this was all done while v were heavily sactioned by the entire world i think that now that the santions are lifted new things should be produced by KRL

side effect of uranium rounds much deadly on user, that why EU thinking to bann these rounds.the above article not include ANZA-3 which is mounted on mobile carriers

I think anza 3 is a rocket launcher.And its arm held or somethin?

pakistan should build some thing like iron fists for tanks to be defended from missiles

I hope that the AQ Khan will be freed once again and the GoP will going to gift him the KRL and then it will be able to work freely and can work like private organizations.

idex2005001.jpg

tn_anza_mk2.jpg

What about MK-IIIs

Back
Top Bottom