What's new

Deep Sea Port In Making - Way to go...

Bangladesh is discussing about deep sea port since long. The last BNP govt took initiative to study the feasibility of a deep sea port. But it did not go further.

Dr. Mohammad Yunus, our Nobel laureate, in late 2006 and early 2007, in the loudest voice and in full conviction pronounced the need of a deep sea port. He also demanded setting up of a mega-port in Chittagong for exploring the potential of the area and bringing economic development.

With facilities for docking larger vessels the mega port could turn this region into a commercial hub of international standard benefiting all users, said the Nobel laureate.
Through opening the mega port for China, north-eastern states of neighbouring India and for landlocked countries like Nepal and Bhutan the wheel of the country’s economy can be moved faster, he said.
The mega port could be run as a social business where the poor and underprivileged women could also be among the stakeholders like those in Grameen Bank, he added.
A highway linking the neighbouring landlocked countries will also be required to facilitate transport of goods from the mega seaport, Dr Yunus said

But his comment drew mixed reaction from the politicians and citizen groups.

The present caretaker government in its early months took initiatives to explore the possibility of deep sea port. But after the feasibility study by a Japanese firm which stated that Tk 42,000 crore would be spent for the port to be completed in three phases by the year 2055. The new caretaker government abandoned the process on the plea that it will take long time and huge amount of money , the project of such magnitude could only be taken by a elected government. But the main reason to avoid the plan is likely to avoid political criticism.

When Bangladesh is sleeping, our neighbors are advancing on their deep sea port projects.

Under an economic cooperation strategy (ECS) of Combodia, Laos Myanmar and Thailand are building a deep-sea port at Dawei. Myanmar is also developing another port at the south west point of its border along the sea.

India is working on a deep sea port in Bay of Bengal. West Bengal is entrusted with the responsibility to invite bidding for the project, a Dutch company is already showed its interest in the project. Deep sea port will also enhance their chemical hub in the area.
Even Pakistan has more than one deep sea port.

.It is true that the cost of deep sea port is huge, it will not be possible for Bangladesh to bear the burden alone. It will require the international support. There was an alternative proposal from Dr. Yunus where he said that deep sea port may be started on the principle of social business and common people could be immensely benefited by such a project..

Deep sea port is taking the same fate of optic fiber connection which Bangladesh adopted years after other countries of the world and of the region adopted the technology.

The saying ‘What Bengal thinks today, rest of the India thinks tomorrow’ has been reversed because of lack of foresight of our political leaders and criticism from ‘experts’ under the disguise of ‘patriotism’.

Time is not yet over, Government should reconsider the situation and take necessary steps as early as possible at least to be at par with other neighbors

Due to the upside down V shape of the Bay of Bengal and being Bangladesh at the apex, we have a better opportunity to set up a Deep Sea Port, which might be used by Bangladesh, India, Nepal , Bhutan, and China. What we need to do at the moment, is to take the lead ahead of India. Otherwise the chance will go out of our hands. What that mean to us are:

a. Handling more cargo for the region and support the export an import.
b. Get revenue in FC from the neighbors by providing Transit Services.
c. Create new jobs and industries along the East Coast.
d. Develop the communication on the East Coast Belt.
e. Find alternatives for Chittagong and Mongla Port.
f. Reduce the affect of political and labour unrest.
g. Ultimate development of the South East Region.

New Delhi, June 15: Movement of transshipment cargo to North-eastern India could gain momentum, if the proposed deep sea port (DSP) comes up in Bangladesh. Highly-placed sources say that as Bangladesh is almost at the centre of South-East Asia, the DSP could act as a regional hub to transport goods to North-east India. The cost of constructing the port is put at around $800 million.

"Currently shipping lines that ferry cargo to Bangladesh have to unload at Haldia or Kolkata port. The cargo is then transported to the neighbouring country via road. With another port in the neighbourhood, shipping lines would have an economically viable option in terms of transportation of their goods," said a senior shipping ministry official.

Officials however rule out any negative repercussions on India in terms of trade, if the DSP comes up.

They say at the most, traffic meant for Bangladesh, which presently has to go to Kolkata en route, would directly go to Bangladesh. That, however, won’t have any impact on Indian economy.
Apart from improving movement of transshipment cargo in the North-eastern part of India, the DSP could also prove useful to other neighbouring nations like Myanmar, southern China, and landlocked countries like Nepal and Bhutan.

Though the exact location of the DSP would be known only after a feasibility study is done, sources pointed out that it may come up at Cox’s Bazar district of Greater Chittagong.

Bangladesh is said to be keen to construct a deep sea pot, because of limitations of draught channels in the country’s two existing ports.

It has contacted some international organisations for financial aid in setting up the DSP.

Senior officials said that Singapore too is keenly watching the development, as it might enhance business possibilities in the region.

UAE group keen to develop deep-sea port in Bangladesh
October 24, 2008 · No Comments
http://www.newagebd.com/2008/oct/24/busi.html#4

UAE group keen to develop deep-sea port in Bangladesh
Kazi Azizul Islam . Abu Dhabi

A top investment and industrial group of United Arab Emirates is interested in developing and operating a modern deep-sea port in Bangladesh.

The UAE group will prefer invitation from Bangladesh government for developing the sea-port, CEO of the group said.

The chief executive officer of Ras Al Khaimah Investment Authority, Khater Massaad, said they were operating two ports in the UAE, one in Georgia and developing one in Andrapradesh of India.

‘We are very much interested to develop and operate a modern deep-sea port in Bangladesh,’ said Massaad while talking to New Age correspondent at his office in UAE.

He told New Age that their company could put $2-3 billion on developing a deep-sea port in Bangladesh.

Massaad claimed that RAKIA was the largest investor from the Middle East in Bangladesh, owning a ceramic tiles and sanitary ware manufacturing plants, and a pharmaceutical factory, which would be opened next month.

The company, few months back, also proposed to invest over $1 billion in hotel, tourism and real-estate sectors in Dhaka and Cox’s Bazar.

‘We will complete within two months feasibility studies on our earlier proposals, which include two 5-star hotels – one in Dhaka and one in Cox’s Bazar,’ said Massaad.

Constituted in 2005, RAKIA is headed by crown prince Sheikh Saqr Bin Mohammed Al Qassimi, supreme council member and ruler of the Ras Al Khaimah.

RAKIA manages diversified business ventures including, ceramics, cement, steel, real-estates and tourism, airlines, and financial institutions.

It started operation in Bangladesh 13 years back with RAK Ceramics, a big tiles and sanitary ware manufacturer in Bangladesh.

Massaad said the existing investment climate in Bangladesh was good and the incentives for foreign investors were also encouraging.

UAE group keen to develop deep-sea port in Bangladesh Bangladesh Economic News

Before I answer any of your question, "Why do you oppose to Deep Sea Port? because Indians will be allowed to use it?" If that is the case then there is no need for further discussion as deep sea port will only be viable if we do let India to use it, and Indian will be given access to it.
Now if you do accept this fact then we can talk about how feasible will it be and how much implication will it have in the overall socio economic condition in our country.

Please allow me..........
I do understand you have weakness for your Indian brothers and that's O.K by me though I find it abnormal. You are not the only share holder so hold your horse my so called bd bro.

Main reason.
1---I am not interested to implement a deep sea port with our hard earn money that more likely satisfy Indian interest than Bangladesh as of now because our need is limited. I rather like to see the fraction of money to improve our existing ports and modernize our internal river linkages. We need more dredgers to widen and deepen our river to restore it's original flow of water so that these river route can be use to utilize internal traffic and that will ease the traffic on the road. It will boost the tourism industry in the country and produce thousands of jobs for the locals. These natural god given rivers can do wonder for us if we just pay little more attention than building deep sea port. We can't build a 100 story tower with 10 story foundation. can we?

Other reasons comes in mind even if we do build a deep sea port in the future.

1--India better stop interfering with our internal politics and let bd people to decide the outcome of the country. An Islamic or secular republic.

2--They must stop making dam like Farakka to desertize our home land. No water, no life, no Bd iajdani. Wake up.

3--Active step toward eliminating enormous trade gap even though there are tremendous amount of desire for Bangladeshi products in eastern region.

So yeah no and never to serve India with bd infrastructure unless they change their mind set and recognize our sovereignty with respect. I mean respect.:smokin:

Last edited:
Originally Posted by iajdani

Govt is pushing very hard for TAR(Trans asian railway) which will connect the port with Myanmar and China. I belive this port will be the key to our move towards a middle income country by 2025 (5000 USD per capita income).

Thanks

India, China, Myanmar all repeatedly requested Bangladesh for the port access.

[Repost for an answer]

We have seen Awami lie and decption from pre election day. But when it is time to deliver or proof, Awami stooges outright lied that they never promised such thing.

You are doing exactly the same here.

You are yet to come up any credible proof on deep sea port earning and how it will push per capital income to $5000. You even added more claim that Myanmar and China seeking BD port access.But you have not showed any credible proof on your stack of lies.

As such you are pushing propaganda bs for indo-awami cause not for Bangladesh. We know how to read your intention for indo-awami cause and we are calling it.

@AL-ZAKIR ^^^^^^^^^^
I dont have any weakness for anybody outside Bangladesh. Not for India neither for Pakistan, nor even for Ummah or Kaffirs.
You should have already known that.
By saying above, Yes I do strongly believe, we need co-operation from any country which have BD stake with them and one of them is India.
India does not respect Bangladesh???? What kind of respect you expect??? Pakistan style???
I am a proud man and dont have any inferiority complex as I bear the ideology of 1971 and a free citizen of a free country. That is our biggest honor and we bought it through our blood and sweat.

I view this port with economic term the way Pakistan view IPI project as well as gadwar port. Whatever it is, which you call as a view of yours is nothing but a deep rooted inferiority complexity and hatred.
Regarding trade gap I already commented on that. Yes we need to keep on pressing India on water sharing which are legitimate but those should not come into our way when we should reap our advantages on India and deep sea port is one of them which is our advantage and not other way around.

Last edited:
Why are you keep on posting the same thing????

Govt is pushing very hard for TAR(Trans asian railway) which will connect the port with Myanmar and China. I belive this port will be the key to our move towards a middle income country by 2025 (5000 USD per capita income).

Thanks
This is my view and you can buy it or not.. its up to u. But I strongly belive that.

Quote:

[Repost for an answer]

We have seen Awami lie and decption from pre election day. But when it is time to deliver or proof, Awami stooges outright lied that they never promised such thing.

I already posted few articles and also see the feasibility study at the very first post. You should find the answer.

You guys also need to read how Calcutta/Myanmar and Singapore is anxious about this port. 10 Bln dollar port not a joke. It will just kill all of them in this region.

Bangladesh, Yunnan discussing rail link
Bangladesh Communications Minister Syed Abul Hossain met with Yunnan government officials last Thursday to discuss a proposed rail line between Kunming and its sister city in Bangladesh, the port city of Chittagong, according to Bangladeshi media reports.

In recent years the Yunnan government and China's central government have expressed their desire to have transport links to Chittagong, which lies on the Bay of Bengal. Port access in the Bay of Bengal would reduce Chinese reliance upon the Malacca Strait, which occasionally has piracy problems. The Malacca Strait is also patrolled by the US and its allies, which adds to Beijing's uneasiness.

A rail line connecting Chittagong with Kunming would pass through mountainous northern Myanmar. In his visit to China, Hossain also met with Chinese President Hu Jintao and Prime Minister Wen Jiabao to seek technical and financial assistance for the project.

GoKunming: Kunming news, events, listings, travel, business, living

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this is a chinese news.. not bd news. SATISFIED????

You guys also need to read how Calcutta/Myanmar and Singapore is anxious about this port. 10 Bln dollar port not a joke. It will just kill all of them in this region.

Nowhere in any article showed any official expression of interest by Chinese or Myanmar govt to use deep sea port for transit purpose. I would not surprise if indo awami news outlet manufacture such news to push indian agenda.

Thanks

You are doing exactly the same and admittedly promoting indian agenda with lure of deceptive income figure.

Look at you, presumably a lone operator, using deceptive income figure to sell indo-Awami propaganda. Thats how indo-Awami nexus deceived most people (who do not verify) with baseless and deceptive promise. It will not be surprise when indo-awami media nexus come with those dime a dozen expert analysis to dupe people with propaganda income figure.

As such we know how to read your intention for indo-awami cause and we are calling it.

Nowhere in any article showed any official expression of interest by Chinese or Myanmar govt to use deep sea port for transit purpose. I would not surprise if indo awami news outlet manufacture such news to push indian agenda.

An excellent point. The Chinese have never dictated where we should have the deep sea port but have proposed in enlarging the size of the Chittagong port to cater for the increased load.

You are doing exactly the same and admittedly promoting indian agenda with lure of deceptive income figure.

Look at you, presumably a lone operator, using deceptive income figure to sell indo-Awami propaganda. Thats how indo-Awami nexus deceived most people (who do not verify) with baseless and deceptive promise. It will not be surprise when indo-awami media nexus come with those dime a dozen expert analysis to dupe people with propaganda income figure.

As such we know how to read your intention for indo-awami cause and we are calling it.

I lost taste of aruguing with any kid.. go to rest...... YOu cant wake anybody up when he is pretending to be asleep....
Deep sea port is a reality and will be materialized... I dont think Bangladesh have any more time to jack around with the people like you who are anti development and anti bangladesh.

An excellent point. The Chinese have never dictated where we should have the deep sea port but have proposed in enlarging the size of the Chittagong port to cater for the increased load.

Are you from Khulna or Jessor???? sounds like to me when you talk irrational and can not get out of regional prejudice.

Are you from Khulna or Jessor???? sounds like to me when you talk irrational and can not get out of regional prejudice.

I am from Kushtia but that has nothing to do with it. The question really should be why you are working an Indian agenda?

Back
Top Bottom