What's new

Commonwealth Games Scottie dogs 'disrespectful to Muslims'

AbhimanyuShrivastav

Reaction score
Commonwealth Games Scottie dogs 'disrespectful to Muslims' - Telegraph

Malaysian politicians and religious leaders have attacked the use of Scottie dogs during the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, claiming it was disrespectful to Muslims.

Around 40 Scottie dogs were used in the opening ceremony in Glasgow last Wednesday to lead teams around Celtic Park.

The dogs, which all wore tartan dog coats with the name of each team on them, were widely praised on social media, with many people stating they thought they had "stolen the show". Hamish, who led out the Scotland team, received one of the biggest cheers of the night.

Judy Murray tweeted after the ceremony: "Scottie dogs in tartan coats at CG opening ceremony. Barkingly brilliant."

However, not everyone was as impressed. Political and religious leaders in Malaysia have claimed the use of dogs connected to Muslim countries was "disrespectful".

Many Muslims refuse to have direct contact with dogs, which are considered by some to be "unclean" in Islamic culture. Some overseas Muslim groups have reportedly previously called for a jihad on dogs.

Possibly making matters worse was the fact that Jock, who was supposed to lead out the Malaysian team, sat down and refused to move as soon as his coat was put on, meaning he had to be carried by the team representative.

Mohamad Sabu, the deputy president of the opposition Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party said: "Malaysia and all Islamic countries deserve and apology from the organiser. :lol:

"This is just so disrespectful to Malaysia and Muslims – especially as it happened during Ramadan. Muslims are not allowed to touch dogs, so the organiser should have been more aware and sensitive on this issue.

"It is hoped this incident can teach other Western countries to be more respectful in the future."

Dato Ibrahim Bin Ali, a far-Right politician, former MP and founder and president of Malay supremacist group Perkasa also called for an apology.

"I think it is unbecoming. The hosts have not been sensitive enough – especially in a so-called knowledgeable and civilised society like Britain," he said. "It is shameful and has offended not only Malaysia as a Muslim country, but Muslims around the world."

A Glasgow 2014 spokesman said: "Glasgow 2014 have received no complaints from the Commonwealth Games Associations of the competing nations and territories following the Opening Ceremony."

I hate dogs too, I support Malaysia on this one.

Dogs are part and parcel of Pakistani culture and have been for centuries. They can exclude us from the "offence" to Muslim countries.

There are massive differences in culture between Muslim nations and from what I have seen East Asians, Arabs and horn of African states do not like dogs. Where as Turkey, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Central Asian states like them.

Here is Pakistan's national dog, the Bully Kutta.

8479395_orig.jpg

1342671165625.jpg

AchPio-20081214-GJ0D1658.jpg

the show was abut all things scot.. and I guess dog is part of that...
apparently they even banned union jack and wanted only scottish flag.

THIS IS WHY ALIENS WONT VISIT US.
We have been visiting you guys for millennias. We are still debating on what to do with you Humans. We Elders are seriously considering steering the Necromongers your way.

Dogs are part and parcel of Pakistani culture and have been for centuries. They can exclude us from the "offence" to Muslim countries.

There are massive differences in culture between Muslim nations and from what I have seen East Asians, Arabs and horn of African states do not like dogs. Where as Turkey, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Central Asian states like them.

Dude and to all kindly do little goggling prior to releasing ur fatwas.......

Dogs have been part of every human culture irrespective of religion or culture....

some of the famous breeds from Arabia

Saluki-Dog.jpg

saluki.jpg

keeping a dog is different and getting licked by it is different......

The only reason Islam advises is because of dogs unhygienic habits .

damn... seriously...
wtf is wrong with muslims....:confused:

Some overseas Muslim groups have reportedly previously called for a jihad on dogs.
These mullahs have completely lost it!! Why can't the ordinary Muslim call for a jihad against these hare brained mullahs who keep spouting shit 24x7?

Musharraf with his pets. But no mullah called for a jihad against him? Why fatwas and jihad against Scottie dogs now?

Dog-Musharraf.jpg

I would prefer dogs to those maniacal mullahs any day! A dog is a man's best friend, not those turds masquerading as the men of God!

Back
Top Bottom