What's new

China does not feel like an economy in crisis, Amid talk of high youth unemployment, trains, cinemas and concerts are full

We Chinese will definitely understand what Chinese words and sentences mean, maybe you Singaporeans don't, you should brush up on your Chinese.

_20230903171406-png.950684

Stop dodging my question. Exactly which quote?

Stop dodging my question. Exactly which quote?
National statistics department expounds China's high youth unemployment rate: many young people in 16-24 years old group are school students, 6 million are looking for jobs.

Lol, this is the link you cited:

This is what it says if you scroll down below:
1693735838566.png

1693736151404.png

Exactly what I said:

There are 96mil youths in China. ~33mil are looking for a job, the remaining ~63mil are studying. Only 33mil is considered part of the labor force.

20% youth unemployment = 20%*33mil=6.6mil > 6mil+ youths are unemployed.

Last edited:
Lol, this is the link you cited:

This is what it says if you scroll down below:
View attachment 950692
View attachment 950693

Exactly what I said:
I didn't read that part, so the real number of the unemployed is rather small comparing to China's overall population in that age group.

The real unemployment rate of youth from 18-24 is actually around 6% cause the vast majority of the population in this age group are still in school.

I didn't read that part, so the real number of the unemployed is rather small comparing to China's overall population in that age group.

So the claim that students are considered as part of the unemployed is bullshit.

Anyone with half a brain knows that's not how you calculate employment figures. Otherwise most countries have an unemployment rate of 40%+ if you include students, housewives, retirees etc.

So the claim that students are considered as part of the unemployed is bullshit.

Anyone with half a brain knows that's not how you calculate employment figures. Otherwise most countries have an unemployment rate of 40%+ if you include students, housewives, retirees etc.
So it's the unemployment of a tiny fraction of the population in age group of 16-24. If this is what the figure is about, Singapore's youth unemployment rate could be higher than China's.

You need to take a step back and go back to read on Beijing's topic.

He is claiming concert hall and movie is full of people, hence the economy does not feel like in crisis....

If that does not show you any form of informed argument is pointless on him, I don't know what is.

This kind of remind me of the Swan Lake story

You need to take a step back and go back to read on Beijing's topic.

He is claiming concert hall and movie is full of people, hence the economy does not feel like in crisis....
I didn't , the OP article did, but I mentioned before I don't feel any crisis here, which indeed coincide with the OP article's sentiment.

微信图片_20230903183247.png

China includes full time students in "Unemployment" figures.

China also uses a different method to calculate "Unemployment" that captures a far higher number than the system used by the U.S.

The only thing this whole propaganda exercise has shown is how few people know anything about the subject matter they pretend to be an "Expert" in.

What this increase in "Youth Unemployment" is actually showing, is that more young people are getting better educated.
How can they include students in Unemployment figures? What kind of logic involves ?

Doesn't this just push up unemployment figures?

Explaining the decision to stop publishing the youth joblessness data, Fu Linghui, a spokesman for the statistics bureau, said the country has 96 million people between the ages of 16 and 24, about two-thirds of whom are students.
“The main task for students is studying. There are different views over whether to include students who are looking for a job before graduation in the labor-force survey and statistics,” he said, adding that more young people are pursuing advanced degrees.
Fu said that officials would look again at how best to define joblessness among young people.

In other words, the survey was including people "looking for work" before they had even graduated or finished school, aka, people that are not seriously looking for work.

How can they include students in Unemployment figures? What kind of logic involves ?

Yes and no, I think.

I think 33 million of young people probably already graduated or some of them didn't go to university.

Of 33 million, there are 6 million who haven't found a job yet, aka unemployment.

At least now we all know that the unemployment is actually very low in the whole population of 16-24 age group.

It didn't really matter until the propaganda storm happened, so they stopped reporting it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom