What's new

China reports big data miss in July, stops releasing youth unemployment numbers

The reason given translated "The release of urban surveyed unemployment rates by age groups such as young people will be suspended. The main reasons are: the economy and society are constantly developing and changing, statistical work needs to be continuously improved, and labor force survey statistics also need to be further improved and optimized."

I guess what that mean is that there are differences in way the statistic is calculated and reported.

it would probably not deem necessary to review or revise if it has not been hype up so much in western media.
I do a lot of statistic analysis, both from my work as an intelligence officer in the United States Army and as a Think Tank analyst (not on PDF) with some commercial think tank.

You never withhold data because you want to refine the way to represent it. That does not make any sense, because data is a data, you process those data to become an information, you can withhold the analytic result if you think the current method is not up to date. but those data will not change.

It's very simple. you have each row of data, for example.

Unemployment rate for 18 years old - W%
Unemployment rate for 19 years old - X%
Unemployment rate for 20 years old - Y%
Unemployment rate for 21 years old - Z%

You can draw any conclusion with regards to any method you choose, Say you can change the parameter of school leaver from 18 -21 years old to 19-21, then you exclude that W% of unemployment. That does not mean reporting W% unemployment should be suspended. Because no matter how you manipulate the data, it will still be fix as that is the hard number. W% will remain W% regardless of how you change the calculated method

Number is number, whatever you interpret it is whatever after those number, if China think there are different in the way the statistic is calculated, you don't releases the processed result, you can still release the number, unless you think those 18 years old you interviewed is not actually 18 years old, that is not a change of calculation method, that's fraud.

I do a lot of statistic analysis, both from my work as an intelligence officer in the United States Army and as a Think Tank analyst (not on PDF) with some commercial think tank.

You never withhold data because you want to refine the way to represent it. That does not make any sense, because data is a data, you process those data to become an information, you can withhold the analytic result if you think the current method is not up to date. but those data will not change.

It's very simple. you have each row of data, for example.

Unemployment rate for 18 years old - W%
Unemployment rate for 19 years old - X%
Unemployment rate for 20 years old - Y%
Unemployment rate for 21 years old - Z%

You can draw any conclusion with regards to any method you choose, Say you can change the parameter of school leaver from 18 -21 years old to 19-21, then you exclude that W% of unemployment. That does not mean reporting W% unemployment should be suspended. Because no matter how you manipulate the data, it will still be fix as that is the hard number. W% will remain W% regardless of how you change the calculated method

Number is number, whatever you interpret it is whatever after those number, if China think there are different in the way the statistic is calculated, you don't releases the processed result, you can still release the number, unless you think those 18 years old you interviewed is not actually 18 years old, that is not a change of calculation method, that's fraud.
lol looking at how they dealt with covid numbers pretty sure they will just get together at dinner and make up numbers

Back
Top Bottom