jerry_tan

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36591123

China ambassador Wu Jianmin's death sparks foreign policy debate
_90044673_gettyimages-52065125.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
The sudden death of former Chinese ambassador and influential foreign policy "dove" Wu Jianmin has sparked shock and mourning. But, more unusually, it has also prompted a rare moment of reflection in China over how the country should deal with its foreign policy challenges. The BBC's Vincent Ni explains why.

Who was Wu Jianmin?
Mr Wu was one of China's most senior and outspoken diplomats. He served as an interpreter for Mao Zedong and his premier Zhou Enlai, and was also China's ambassador to France, the Netherlands and the United Nations in Geneva at various points in his career.

Before his retirement, he also headed China's Foreign Affairs University in Beijing, which has trained generations of Chinese diplomats.

Following his death in a car crash in Wuhan on Saturday, Mr Wu's views have been the subject of discussion on the Chinese internet and among China's intellectuals and foreign policy commentators.

On Weibo and Wechat, two of China's most popular social media platforms, the hashtag #WuJianminDiedinCarCrash# was read more than 180 million times; with over 24,000 comments.

Why has his death sparked such a reaction?
Mr Wu's views have not always coincided with those of China's leaders. He has argued that China should keep a low-profile in the international arena - a popular policy during the 1990s and 2000s, which many analysts believe has been altered by President Xi Jinping's more assertive stance since 2012.

_90062090_ee1137be-d120-43f5-ba5d-9c8838a2a4c6.jpg
Image copyrightAP
Image captionWu Jianmin warned against nationalism and urged China to follow the lead of Deng Xiaoping (above)
In a 2014 TV debate with a hawkish major general, Mr Wu warned that those who engage in conflicts will themselves be dragged into trouble. More recently, he also pointed out that China's parochial nationalism is rising and urged China to reject it for continued progress.

"Narrow-minded nationalists often tend to tout military confrontation when dealing with territorial disputes, as opposed to Deng Xiaoping's advice to 'set aside differences and pursue joint development'," Mr Wu wrote in a recent article.

Mr Wu has also shared his opinions with Western media. In a rare interview with the BBC's Hard Talk programme in London last year, he said that China is not a superpower, nor is it in a position to replace the United States.

Media captionAmbassador Wu Jianmin tells Zeinab Badawi that China does not seek to dominate in the South China Sea
Mr Wu's comments still resonate with many in China right now, coming at a time of high tensions in China's bitter territorial disputes with its neighbours in the East and South China seas.

Many worry that the current war-of-words might eventually lead to military standoff in the Asia Pacific region, and have been sharing Mr Wu's previous remarks on how China should deal with its neighbours and the West to make a point.

Why else was he important?
By openly expressing views that were not fully in line with the government's, Mr Wu also provided the outside world a rare glimpse into the kind of debate within China's close-knit and closed-off foreign policy circles.

_90062092_0272bc7b-d506-49fe-9885-fb02d937452c.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionChina's wealth and power have risen dramatically and it now plays a much more assertive role in global affairs
In a speech delivered to the Foreign Affairs University in April, Mr Wu summarised China's diplomatic dilemma with a saying: "One who can't find friends also offends many". And he revealed to students that China's foreign policy is not set by its foreign ministry, but by the central government.

He has also had a war of words with the editor of the often sensational and nationalistic tabloid Global Times, which is frequently viewed as a party mouthpiece.

Mr Wu criticised the paper for printing "very extreme articles" and lamented that its editor Hu Xijin "doesn't quite understand the situation".

This prompted a lengthy response from Mr Hu, who dismissed Mr Wu's views as outdated and "typical" of dovish diplomats. Mr Hu also argued that the media is always more hawkish than diplomats.

Such arguments are nothing unusual in many Western countries - but in China official statements and the media are carefully controlled, so the row caught the attention of many analysts.

"Such debates suggest that behind the scenes, there's probably a much more vigorous, perhaps even destabilising debate going on," Orville Schell, who heads the Asia Society's US-China Centre and has known Wu Jianmin for more than a decade, told the BBC.

"It's a pity that there aren't more of them."

What do his critics say?
Mr Wu's critics argue that his views were simply out of date, and did not reflect China's real strength and the current international dynamics.

"He bears the strong hallmark of foreign policy making from the Deng Xiaoping era," said Qiu Zhenhai, who moderated Mr Wu's 2014 debate with the major general on Hong Kong's Phoenix TV.

"What he had advocated was entirely correct, but he neglected the fact that time has changed and China has also changed structurally. Therefore, frictions between China and the West are inevitable," Mr Qiu told the BBC.

On the internet, Mr Wu's critics lamented his view of the world as "too nice to Americans".

One commenter on the Global Times website urged: "At a time when Americans are suppressing us, please do not praise this man. It will backfire."

"Narrow-minded nationalists often tend to tout military confrontation when dealing with territorial disputes, as opposed to Deng Xiaoping's advice to 'set aside differences and pursue joint development'," Mr Wu wrote in a recent article.

Mr Wu has also shared his opinions with Western media. In a rare interview with the BBC's Hard Talk programme in London last year, he said that China is not a superpower, nor is it in a position to replace the United States.

Media captionAmbassador Wu Jianmin tells Zeinab Badawi that China does not seek to dominate in the South China Sea
Mr Wu's comments still resonate with many in China right now, coming at a time of high tensions in China's bitter territorial disputes with its neighbours in the East and South China seas.

Many worry that the current war-of-words might eventually lead to military standoff in the Asia Pacific region, and have been sharing Mr Wu's previous remarks on how China should deal with its neighbours and the West to make a point.

I really like this Guy, Chinese should emulates Ambassador Wu Jianmin.

In a speech delivered to the Foreign Affairs University in April, Mr Wu summarised China's diplomatic dilemma with a saying: "One who can't find friends also offends many". And he revealed to students that China's foreign policy is not set by its foreign ministry, but by the central government.

He has also had a war of words with the editor of the often sensational and nationalistic tabloid Global Times, which is frequently viewed as a party mouthpiece.

Mr Wu criticised the paper for printing "very extreme articles" and lamented that its editor Hu Xijin "doesn't quite understand the situation".

True :cheers:

Military confrontation will be avoided by all major power at all cost. It is no more World War I and World War II becos no major power can capture each other capital with the invention of nuclear weapon. Cold War proves that and SCS will prove that too..

US needs to slowly accept Asia is China turf.

Wu is a traitor, if such guys managing the government too long China will become next former Soviet ... i think now China already defined this guy, he is someone's foreign ambassador in China not the Chinese ambassador for China interest. His idea belong to some Gorbachev ppl not fit for China developing, and we know what result Gorbachev will bring to us ! 此人死后进不了八宝山!

Last edited:
Wu is a traitor, if such guys managing the government too long China will become next former Soviet ... i think now China already defined this guy, he is someone's foreign ambassador in China not the Chinese ambassador. 此人死后进不了八宝山!
他的级别根本进不了八宝山,进八宝山得是元老、烈士、中央政治局委员及以上才进的去,他算哪根葱。

Wu is a traitor, if such guys managing the government too long China will become next former Soviet ... i think now China already defined this guy, he is someone's foreign ambassador in China not the Chinese ambassador for China interest. His idea belong to some Gorbachev ppl not fit for China developing, and we know what result Gorbachev will bring to us ! 此人死后进不了八宝山!

I don't think he is calling or advocating anything against China's interests.

It is extremely sad that even a moderate person advocating for more reform and opening up, and cooperation can be branded a traitor. It seems that these days instead of expertise China is seeking Yes-Men.

@AndrewJin

Military confrontation will be avoided by all major power at all cost. It is no more World War I and World War II becos no major power can capture each other capital with the invention of nuclear weapon. Cold War proves that and SCS will prove that too..

US needs to slowly accept Asia is China turf.

Okay, except what do you mean by Asia? Do you think you can somehow dominate the whole of Asia?

Well that will be resisted by many countries including Japan, Korea, India, Australia, Russia etc. Someone's hegemony is never in the interest of others.

It is extremely sad that even a moderate person advocating for more reform and opening up, and cooperation can be branded a traitor. It seems that these days instead of expertise China is seeking Yes-Men.

@AndrewJin

Okay, except what do you mean by Asia? Do you think you can somehow dominate the whole of Asia?

Well that will be resisted by many countries including Japan, Korea, India, Australia, Russia etc. Someone's hegemony is never in the interest of others.
Clearly you don't know how serious his traitor behaviours are.

I think XJP's reign in China is very negative for China for the following reasons:

1. He is totally unwilling to try to take on economic challenges and launch bold reforms like in the era of Zhu Rongji.
  2. The strength of China today is due to the period from 1980-2010, the bold reforms and pragmatic policy. XJP comes in and is altering all the dynamics on their head. China isn't strong enough to take on the US, far from it. You are inviting US in the region by unnecessarily creating hostility with the neighbouring countries and challenging US. Phillippines was a very neutral, even friendly country to China. But this all changed. Similar with many other countries.
  3. He is creating an army of Yes-Men, and purging people who speak anything different. Tighter controls on all forms of civil liberties, and debate on state policy.

Clearly you don't know how serious his traitor behaviours are.

Please explain to me what are his "traitorous" behaviors?

I think XJP's reign in China is very negative for China for the following reasons:

1. He is totally unwilling to try to take on economic challenges and launch bold reforms like in the era of Zhu Rongji.
  2. The strength of China today is due to the period from 1980-2010, the bold reforms and pragmatic policy. XJP comes in and is altering all the dynamics on their head. China isn't strong enough to take on the US, far from it. You are inviting US in the region by unnecessarily creating hostility with the neighbouring countries and challenging US. Phillippines was a very neutral, even friendly country to China. But this all changed. Similar with many other countries.
  3. He is creating an army of Yes-Men, and purging people who speak anything different. Tighter controls on all forms of civil liberties, and debate on state policy.

Please explain to me what are his "traitorous" behaviors?
U can read Chinese.
China's problems should be solved by her people, not by inviting foreign powers to interfere.
Bad or good, our own responsibility.

U can read Chinese.
China's problems should be solved by her people, not by inviting foreign powers to interfere.

Absolutely. And you are crushing a Chinese person because he has different views.

I don't think he recommended China to give her territory or be less bold.

Tell me, you saw Hari Prasad. Despite his nationalism, can he ever achieve anything? Does it make sense to have him anywhere near decision making?

U can read Chinese.

China's future is totally her and her citizens responsibility. No body is either capable of doing anything, nor are you people going to listen to any foreign voice however well meaning.

屏幕快照 2016-06-24 00.58.51.png

He was the one believing in his own extremism.
When people did not agree with him, then he called people anti-reforms.
How moderate was that?
Anyone who has ever listened to his discourse may vomit.
I heard the voice of Qing Dynasty....
A country declares failure even before any confrontation.

Last edited:
Absolutely. And you are crushing a Chinese person because he has different views.

I don't think he recommended China to give her territory or be less bold.

Tell me, you saw Hari Prasad. Despite his nationalism, can he ever achieve anything? Does it make sense to have him anywhere near decision making?

China's future is totally her and her citizens responsibility. No body is either capable of doing anything, nor are you people going to listen to any foreign voice however well meaning.
India is no substance that is why his view and action are wrong. But China had substance and anything is within the ahieveable.

@AndrewJin

Before western colonization , China is dominating Asia harmonious.

China is just returning to her position. As China is getting stronger and stronger, slowly these countries will get used to China as number one and not US. Can view and power be build in a day? Slowly Japanese and other Asia countries will soften their stance when China grows more relevant and dominating.

@AndrewJin
As the Chinese living in China, my family in here, my parents in here, my child in here, my bros & sisters in here, my interests in here ... so i have my standpoint for this country.
For foreign West the Gorbachev also is a moderate person advocating for more reform and opening up in Soviet Union, they even awarded him the Nobel Peace Prize ... but some more reform to kill original society + to sacrifice underlying folks' interest + to kill "Made in China". Some senior officers already sold their soul to the West ... this is not some reform, there's another name called "Peaceful Evolution" from outside.

As the Chinese living in China, my family in here, my parents in here, my child in here, my bros & sisters in here, my interests in here ... so i have my standpoint for this country.
For foreign West the Gorbachev also is a moderate person advocating for more reform and opening up in Soviet Union, they even awarded him the Nobel Peace Prize ... but some more reform to kill original society + to sacrifice underlying folks' interest + to kill "Made in China". Some senior officers already sold their soul to the West ... this is not some reform, there's another name called "Peaceful Evolution" from outside.
Exactly.
He represented very dangerous over-pacifying viewpoints.
According to him, in the context of Amerio's pivot to Asia, China is supposed to do nothing and waits for the peace which will come at no cost.
Naive, naive, naive.
He was a good translator for Mao, but never a qualified diplomat.

他的级别根本进不了八宝山,进八宝山得是元老、烈士、中央政治局委员及以上才进的去,他算哪根葱。
Since his tragedy happened in my city's 11km-long East Lake Tunnel, I think we can just bury him in East Lake besides Wuhan University which was supposed to be his destination.
I respect him as a diplomat who worked his whole life for diplomacy, but I can't really agree with him.
W020151229276406701977.jpg

W020100615781429212883.JPG

He was the type of diplomat which could be easily bullied and humiliated.
Some people call his diplomacy "prostitute diplomacy", there was some reason behind it.

Back
Top Bottom