What's new

CHENGDU REPORTEDLY ACHIEVES MILESTONE IN JF-17 BLOCK-III DEVELOPMENT

That's your own views,,, but, with due respect: all relevant blogs and articles which i read ...... the speed of block 3 mentioned in these blogs and articles 2.0+
we can easily accept this up-gradation in speed through common sense that if all main functions of aircraft would be upgraded than why not the speed of aircraft which is the core feature of a fighter aircraft.

Hi,

Speed is not the core feature of a fighter aircraft per say.

Hi,

In testing---the aircraft are put into 10 and 11 G turns---but in actual---they maybe limited to 8 or 9---.

And is it inducted and utilized? One wonders why it was then not done for the f35? That remains a question rather than a sarcastic remark so feel free to educate me.
A

The F35 is underpowered. They are developing a new engine that will bring up the speed.

Supersonic flight IS actually used during fights:

1. To quickly close the distance. This was actually employed by one of our Viper drivers against encroaching Russian plane.

2. To increase the range and lethality of BVR. A BVR fired from higher speed and height will carry more potential and kinetic energy, resulting in longer range and more force at impact. This is used by Russian Flankers.

3. To quickly escape after launching a nuclear strike. On of the factors limiting the max yield of nuke you can carry is the speed at which you can escape.

4. If your customers require a Mach 2 speed, you will build it just like u had to build the B version to fulfill market demand.

5. Gripen, a plane of similar class, has a max speed of Mach 2. If it is so irrelevant, then why did they put this feature on it?

This is the theory. Should it apply to Thunder? I will leave that for discussion. Personally, I am keenly waiting for the specs of Block 3 to be released.

The F35 is underpowered. They are developing a new engine that will bring up the speed.
First of all i would like to say f35 is not underpowered its uses the variant f119 ( high by pass ratio turbo fan remember f119 is a low bypass turbo fan used in f22 high bypass turbo fan limit its speed and also intake design does matter in 50's when the jets were strictly subsonic/transsonic intake design were fixed like f-102, supersaber etc, when fighter jets of 3rd and 4th gen reaching MACH 2 and beyond jets like f4 f15 uses variable ramp intakes to control flow of air to the engine and within 4th gen light weight jet uses supersonic fixed intakes like F16, so DSI limits its speed to near MACH 2 so dear sir do research on intake configurations @CriticalThought

Time to get serious. You dont have to post pictures to impress me. I have access to some information too, dont you think? But I will call it a spade
Hi @Bilal Khan 777 ,
I did not really wish to comment here to correct gigantic fallacies being tossed around as "facts". I feel that we should not feed trolls, any Indian who wishes to derail the thread by posting irrelevant information should be warned and banned. But since you choose to reply to an Indian troll with your own, I feel obliged to correct a few fallacies.
LCA is completely a French design. Don't tell a life long fighter pilot what he saw from his own eyes in France is incorrect. Regardless, thats not the issue here. JF17 itself is a Russian derived design. The issue is that LCA is late, and the emerging developments have far superseded the original designs, or the 20 design updates it has gone through. It was not till the US warmed up to the Indians with the Engine and FBW that it could even fly. Its just too late, and IAF will opt for for a more proven platform from elsewhere for its requirement. Any contract for the local LCA would be just face saving for the Billions of dollars wasted on these superb R&D examples(that you amply demonstrate) with nothing to show: No operational squadrons and no field deployment.
LCA is not french at all! Not unless you "assume" french consultancy to be equal to french designing the entire planform, doing the wind tunnel tests etc etc. There are various reasons for the same-
1) All the wind tunnel tests were performed at NAL, ADA and IISc. If you notice something, the scaled models for wind tunnel tests that is used to obtain various aerodynamic coefficients, stability derivatives, damping derivatives against AoA, side slip angle etc were performed and evaluated by Indian teams at NAL. I can furnish papers, should you require more rigorous proof.
2) Secondly, numerous LCA designs were tried before settling onto the double cranked delta configuration. Various designs ranging from- (a) Simple delta. (b) Static canard to (c) all movable canards were passed through numerous wind tunnel tests throughout late 80s and early 90s.
3) What you "conveniently" ignored are the facts that -
(a) French backed out of the program in very early stages itself and
(b) US never really offered a digital FBW for relaxed static stability requirement. I would stress RSS(relaxed static stability) because the design requirement for such a control can not be easily met with gain scheduling strategies that some other fighters employ like the Chinese JF-17.
In case you are totally ignored there is a CLAW team at NAL that has done really "wonderful" work related to control design of the plane. They have got an "iron-bird" facility which is like HILS(hardware in loop simulation) wherein they can test integrated(quad redundant) flight control system with all the actuators and sensors. The current director of ADA is a Btech from IIT Bombay and PhD US/Canada. He was one of the driving forces behind the digital FBW and has plethora of research papers in top journals like AIAA.
4) LCA is being inducted into the forces at a rate of 8per annum, which is being augmented to 16/annum. All the deficiencies paid media in India tirelessly highlight have been gradually overcome.
Now if this doesnt count as organic R&D then what does? I can understand your concerns that in this en devour they didnt do anything revolutionary or that most of the technology already existed somewhere else, however let me point out that, the main was to design not only the aircraft but various sub systems at home.
The real reason for the delays is entirely different--one that you have conveniently ignored. It was poor technology management and un coordinated R&D efforts across various organizations. Sadly folks responsible for such mis management rarely gets flaked.

The only way DRDO seems to succeed when they take a kit of material, like from PIT poland(a TWT based PESA 3D radar, already obsolete and expensive technology Poland is replacing), and name it after Indian Mythical Characters. What a fraud with the Indian people. Yes, in some cases you also use local vehicles, which shows great promise to the future transportation industry in India.
This is partly true and partly false. I will highlight both.
1) Firstly Rohini is not a PESA, I repeat, it is not a PESA in the traditional sense that you have thousands of phase shifters fed by a horn.
2) It is true that DRDO bought the IPRs of this particular radar in question from poland and thus have been manufacturing in India with various modification on Indian carriers. However what you fail to realize that the radar in question is not considered state of the art in india.
3) You really need to study real reports, research papers and attend seminars to assess what is the research scenario in india in the field of radars. India has come a long long way off the rohini system which is from 90s era. A lot of AESA radar related technology have been patented for instance quad channel TRMMs in S,L and X-band. They have gone from beam forming in analog domain to full digital beam forming AESAs that have instrumented range of 400kms. And no I am not talking about Israeli ELTA 2082 but an Indian designed MPR

The State of India, like their Neighbor Pakistan, has so much internal rot that it kills most indigenous talent from ever delivering.

No doubt India isnt perfect, but it surely is much better than Pakistan in various facets of governance. As for the talented people, a lot of them(much more than Pakistanis living abroad) are returning back.

Hi,

We used to have a supersonic aircraft F104---over Mach2---that could supposedly supercruise as well---.

What was the worth of that aircraft---nothing---its top speed was worthless---it was basically a useless aircraft---.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Supercruise

why was the f-104 worthless ? it was a good interceptor
i would say it was more useful than a mig-25

Hi,

Speed is not the core feature of a fighter aircraft per say.

Hi,

In testing---the aircraft are put into 10 and 11 G turns---but in actual---they maybe limited to 8 or 9---.
With due respect Sir, Can you tell me that in such scenario where two fighter aircraft are busy in dog fighting, one of them have the speed up-to mach 2 but the other has only 1.8 mach.......... in such scenario, Is the speed is core feature of aircraft or not???

With due respect Sir, Can you tell me that in such scenario where two fighter aircraft are busy in dog fighting, one of them have the speed up-to mach 2 but the other has only 1.8 mach.......... in such scenario, Is the speed is core feature of aircraft or not???

Hi,

Dogfights are held between speeds of 350-500 +- knots range---higher the speed---more difficult it gets to turn sharply---.

The slower the speed---the faster you can turn---. Turning and positioning is more important in a dog fight.

Hi,

Dogfights are held between speeds of 350-500 +- knots range---higher the speed---more difficult it gets to turn sharply---.

The slower the speed---the faster you can turn---. Turning and positioning is more important in a dog fight.
If speed is not primary concern for fighter aircraft than why Russia is building those aircraft which having the speed over 2.35 (Sukhoi Su-27, Mig-31)............ china also have majority of fighters which has the speed over 2.0 mach.......... F-35 have the speed over 1.8 mach
....................... you are right in your direction but my point is that speed is much essential for aircraft as all other features have their importance.

If speed is not primary concern for fighter aircraft than why Russia is building those aircraft which having the speed over 2.35 (Sukhoi Su-27, Mig-31)............ china also have majority of fighters which has the speed over 2.0 mach.......... F-35 have the speed over 1.8 mach
....................... you are right in your direction but my point is that speed is much essential for aircraft as all other features have their importance.

Russia built Mach 3 capable jets because of the vastness of territory they have to cover and hence getting to station/intercepting US spy planes was a major priority. Pakistan does not have any such requirements, and neither do most countries.

First of all i would like to say f35 is not underpowered its uses the variant f119 ( high by pass ratio turbo fan remember f119 is a low bypass turbo fan used in f22 high bypass turbo fan limit its speed and also intake design does matter in 50's when the jets were strictly subsonic/transsonic intake design were fixed like f-102, supersaber etc, when fighter jets of 3rd and 4th gen reaching MACH 2 and beyond jets like f4 f15 uses variable ramp intakes to control flow of air to the engine and within 4th gen light weight jet uses supersonic fixed intakes like F16, so DSI limits its speed to near MACH 2 so dear sir do research on intake configurations @CriticalThought

This how one reaches wrong conclusion using logical jumps between correct facts. You failed to realize that if the engine could provide such thrust, the intake would have been modified accordingly. The main thing limiting it is the engine. You need to learn a lot before telling someone to go research a topic.

Russia built Mach 3 capable jets because of the vastness of territory they have to cover and hence getting to station/intercepting US spy planes was a major priority. Pakistan does not have any such requirements, and neither do most countries.

First of all, Mach 2.2+ is not used for combat but rather for reconnaissance. Since the advent of hypersonic SAMs, the era of Mach 2+ recon is essentially over.

But covering distance IS NOT the only reason. Increasing range and lethality of missiles is another valid aim.

It means Block 1 and 2 can't be upgraded to 3

and they have 150 frames ready, according to Soahil Aman

Reported changes include modifications to the airframe for an AESA radar

It means Block 1 and 2 can't be upgraded to 3

and they have 150 frames ready, according to Soahil Aman
Sir, can you mention the related link of ACM's speech about denying that block 3 air-frame modifications & redesigning

Sir, can you mention the related link of ACM's speech about denying that block 3 air-frame modifications & redesigning
No, he never denied
It was more than a year old interview, in which he mentioned just number of frames available.

He never mentioned if theses were block 2 frames or 3.

No, he never denied
It was more than a year old interview, in which he mentioned just number of frames available.

He never mentioned if theses were block 2 frames or 3.
You are right Sir, but as my little info about this project, the total frames of JF-17 .......... As each block consist of 50 air-frames, (block 1, 2 & 3) to complete the figure 150.......
so, block 3 is in these 150 air-frames.
block 1 completes 50
block 2 is somewhere at 40+
block 3 in designing phase

Back
Top Bottom