What's new

British chancellor Rishi Sunak on his last legs?

Dude, I ama gonna keep laughing because you are frickin funny....

Some people keep laughing because they cannot even afford to cry.

1648411024923.png

Rishi Sunak is already putting together another cost-of-living bailout after his personal ratings slumped to a record low in the wake of the mini-Budget.

The Chancellor has tried to calm anger over soaring inflation and energy bills promising the government 'will continue to stand by your side'.

But amid claims of tensions with Boris Johnson the Treasury is already said to be assembling another bailout, with council tax identified as the best mechanism for helping families.

In interviews this morning, Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi stressed there is a 'global battle' against inflation but admitted it was not 'job done' for Mr Sunak.

'He's put £22bn for one year of help... I think he will continue to keep an eye on this,' he said. 'It would be absolutely irresponsible to say ''job done''.'

Mr Sunak was accused of being an 'illusionist' last week as he hailed his 'tax-cutting' Spring Statement, despite the burden being on course to reach the highest level since the 1940s.

The government's own watchdog has predicted that this year will see the biggest fall in disposable incomes since records began in the 1950s.

An Opinium poll found Mr Sunak, once one of the most popular members of the government, has seen his ratings tumble into negative territory for the first time.

Research carried out after the mini-Budget showed 35 per cent disapprove of his performances, compared to 31 per cent who approved.

The net figure of minus four was a drop of 15 points from a fortnight ago, and compares to Mr Sunak's previous low of plus seven in October last year.

The political toxicity of the cost-of-living crisis was underlined last week in a presentation by Tory election strategist Michael Brooks to No10 staff.

It suggested the issue had 'shot up' and overtaken the NHS as the most important issue.

'The cost-of-living issue is a train about to hit us,' a source told the Sunday Times.

In February Mr Sunak gave a rebate of £150 to those living in properties in council tax bands A to D, and a £200 reprieve on energy bills, to be paid back over five years.

Writing in the Sun on Sunday, Mr Sunak said: 'I know people are deeply anxious about making ends meet.

'While we can't completely shield everyone from the global challenges we face, we can, and will, help you deal with these rising costs.'

He added: 'I cannot pretend that we can completely protect people from the difficult and uncertain times ahead.

'But this government will continue to stand by your side and do all that we can to support you.'

Rishi Sunak

Boris Johnson

There have been claims of tensions between Mr Sunak (left) and Boris Johnson (right), and the Treasury is already said to be assembling another bailout
Shadow work and pensions secretary Jon Ashworth branded the Chancellor 'Mr Tax' as he warned that pensioners have been 'cutting back on hot meals' and 'forgoing hot showers' as they cannot afford the cost.

Mr Ashworth told Ridge On Sunday on Sky News: 'Rishi Sunak absolutely had more room for manoeuvre in this spring statement and mini budget, but rather than acting in the interests of the British people, he was playing games.

'He was acting in his own interest because he thinks by offering an income tax cut in two years that'll help him politically with Conservative MPs if there's a leadership contest or that'll fit the Tory election grid.

'I don't believe that putting 1.3 million people into poverty because you're imposing a very severe real-terms cut to universal credit, you're imposing the biggest cut to the pension in 50 years, is fair.'

The inflation rate is expected to average nearly 8 per cent over the coming year, but benefits will only be uprated by 3.1 per cent in April as the mechanism used is retrospective.

Mr Ashworth said Mr Sunak should have imposed a 'windfall tax' on the profits of oil and gas companies to generate funds to help struggling families and pensioners with energy bills.

One of the worst ratings of any chancellor in history and there were some Indian posters saying that this guy will be the first British Indian prime minister.....I did predict this and the man is hated universally now. He seems to have no compassion for what people are going through. The clock is ticking....

View attachment 827988

It's still better than Boris' ratings, so he can still reach the PM chair with his rating in 30%

Off topic, it’s heartening to know that a lot brown people have representation in US/UK. If only India and Pakistan solve their issues(necessary otherwise the focus would be on competing for offices of power to bring the other party down, this diluting the potential of working together), we can create a virtuous loop between expats going abroad, gaining prominence and then sending money as well bringing skills back to kick start our economies. Given the rut we are in and have been for the last 80 years, this may be one of very few ways our people can taste prosperity.

LOL

Infosys makes more money from the US and NATO than Russia.

This is pure racism at its best.

British can't accept brown skin in high offices.
And sadly brown people can't seem to accept each other either.

LOL

Infosys makes more money from the US and NATO than Russia.

This is pure racism at its best.

British can't accept brown skin in high offices.

True to some extent. But when his ratings were high, he was touted to replace Boris Johnson as next PM. And at that time, it looked like he will be next PM.

Off topic, it’s heartening to know that a lot brown people have representation in US/UK. If only India and Pakistan solve their issues(necessary otherwise the focus would be on competing for offices of power to bring the other party down, this diluting the potential of working together), we can create a virtuous loop between expats going abroad, gaining prominence and then sending money as well bringing skills back to kick start our economies. Given the rut we are in and have been for the last 80 years, this may be one of very few ways our people can taste prosperity.

I think Pakistanis and Indians support each other a lot when abroad. More recently, I have seen this Hindutva streak in common Indians here. This is unfortunate and is a knock on effect of India's highly combustible local politics based on hatred for Muslims.

True to some extent. But when his ratings were high, he was touted to replace Boris Johnson as next PM. And at that time, it looked like he will be next PM.

I can understand that his competitors will try to undermine his chances but this crass racism should never be tolerated.

What's up with you?

Not everything is race related. He is low in poll because he cannot curb the inflation rampaging in the UK, I personally know a lot of Asian don't like him, which is a problem worldwide. People want change, I don't think people care about what color they want to change from.

Dude, are you some kind of "Brown Supremist"?
You are really bad at spotting trolls. Some people make every post with an intention to elicit a reactionary response. Often they are successful :laugh:

Last edited:
Rishi Sunak is already putting together another cost-of-living bailout after his personal ratings slumped to a record low in the wake of the mini-Budget.

The Chancellor has tried to calm anger over soaring inflation and energy bills promising the government 'will continue to stand by your side'.

But amid claims of tensions with Boris Johnson the Treasury is already said to be assembling another bailout, with council tax identified as the best mechanism for helping families.

In interviews this morning, Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi stressed there is a 'global battle' against inflation but admitted it was not 'job done' for Mr Sunak.

'He's put £22bn for one year of help... I think he will continue to keep an eye on this,' he said. 'It would be absolutely irresponsible to say ''job done''.'

Mr Sunak was accused of being an 'illusionist' last week as he hailed his 'tax-cutting' Spring Statement, despite the burden being on course to reach the highest level since the 1940s.

The government's own watchdog has predicted that this year will see the biggest fall in disposable incomes since records began in the 1950s.

An Opinium poll found Mr Sunak, once one of the most popular members of the government, has seen his ratings tumble into negative territory for the first time.

Research carried out after the mini-Budget showed 35 per cent disapprove of his performances, compared to 31 per cent who approved.

The net figure of minus four was a drop of 15 points from a fortnight ago, and compares to Mr Sunak's previous low of plus seven in October last year.

The political toxicity of the cost-of-living crisis was underlined last week in a presentation by Tory election strategist Michael Brooks to No10 staff.

It suggested the issue had 'shot up' and overtaken the NHS as the most important issue.

'The cost-of-living issue is a train about to hit us,' a source told the Sunday Times.

In February Mr Sunak gave a rebate of £150 to those living in properties in council tax bands A to D, and a £200 reprieve on energy bills, to be paid back over five years.

Writing in the Sun on Sunday, Mr Sunak said: 'I know people are deeply anxious about making ends meet.

'While we can't completely shield everyone from the global challenges we face, we can, and will, help you deal with these rising costs.'

He added: 'I cannot pretend that we can completely protect people from the difficult and uncertain times ahead.

'But this government will continue to stand by your side and do all that we can to support you.'

Rishi Sunak

Boris Johnson

There have been claims of tensions between Mr Sunak (left) and Boris Johnson (right), and the Treasury is already said to be assembling another bailout
Shadow work and pensions secretary Jon Ashworth branded the Chancellor 'Mr Tax' as he warned that pensioners have been 'cutting back on hot meals' and 'forgoing hot showers' as they cannot afford the cost.

Mr Ashworth told Ridge On Sunday on Sky News: 'Rishi Sunak absolutely had more room for manoeuvre in this spring statement and mini budget, but rather than acting in the interests of the British people, he was playing games.

'He was acting in his own interest because he thinks by offering an income tax cut in two years that'll help him politically with Conservative MPs if there's a leadership contest or that'll fit the Tory election grid.

'I don't believe that putting 1.3 million people into poverty because you're imposing a very severe real-terms cut to universal credit, you're imposing the biggest cut to the pension in 50 years, is fair.'

The inflation rate is expected to average nearly 8 per cent over the coming year, but benefits will only be uprated by 3.1 per cent in April as the mechanism used is retrospective.

Mr Ashworth said Mr Sunak should have imposed a 'windfall tax' on the profits of oil and gas companies to generate funds to help struggling families and pensioners with energy bills.

One of the worst ratings of any chancellor in history and there were some Indian posters saying that this guy will be the first British Indian prime minister.....I did predict this and the man is hated universally now. He seems to have no compassion for what people are going through. The clock is ticking....

View attachment 827988

My family and I have already experienced the brunt of Sunak’s reforms. Living prices have skyrocketed, with the monthly price for the electricity of our home going up to £400 in a 230% increase.

He tried to fix the fuel crisis currently going on by reducing fuel prices by 5p, and not capping prices.

The only thing he’s done that was good for the economy, was 2020’s furlough scheme, which saved many businesses from crashing during the Covid era

All in all, he’s not doing very well right now and his end is definitely in sight. But then again, Boris’s end was supposedly in sight and that never happened.
I guess we won’t know until it happens

You are really bad at spotting trolls. Some people make every post with an intention to illicit reactionary response. Often they are successful :laugh:
I know he is a troll, I am just having fun with him...

It demonstrates that White colonial powers cannot accept brown skin people in high offices.
I don't know what your fantasy is but unlike India there is very little slack cut to people in power. Compare that to Bojo's part-gate scandal Rishi has had it pretty easy. That has nothing to do with colour of the skin, more to do with position of power.

Wouldn't Dominic Raab is the second most important guy in the UK?

Anyway...
No sir, his role is very much an honory position. Traditionally we don't have a full time deputy PM. This has only been the case during coalition governments to share the power and in this case Bojo wanted to keep Raab in his pocket.

Normally a minister is nominated as a deputy PM when the PM is away on a foreign trip or ill and has the responsibility to stand in the PMQ's.

I don't know what your fantasy is but unlike India there is very little slack cut to people in power. Compare that to Bojo's part-gate scandal Rishi has had it pretty easy. That has nothing to do with colour of the skin, more to do with position of power.

The point is that the British Colonial racists are questioning his wife instead of his performance.

His performance is irrelevant to this issue as is his race.

His performance is surely relevant for his political future.

But the British brought in his wife into the mix because of their racists tendencies.

I think Pakistanis and Indians support each other a lot when abroad. More recently, I have seen this Hindutva streak in common Indians here. This is unfortunate and is a knock on effect of India's highly combustible local politics based on hatred for Muslims.
I have lived in Australia and now in the US. We are very accommodating of each other. In my school, we had the India Business Club which was running cultural and business events for the massive Indian student contingent. We realised that the Pakistani students, who were celebrating the same cultural events, were feeling left out and hence we changed our club’s name to the South Asia club. This is a small example of how we look out for each other, knowing that politics and religious tensions don’t really translate once you move out of the region and its troubles. It helps to hold hands when you are fighting to thrive in an alien world. In the post modi world, things will improve drastically.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom