What's new

BREAKING : MODI govt wants a 3 year jail for offensive&amoral messages on social media

isupportaap

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Justifying retention of penal provision of Section 66A of Information Technology Act for posting offensive material on social networking sites, the Centre on Wednesday told the Supreme Court that reach and impact of internet was wider and the level of restriction on this medium should be higher in comparison to print and television.

Unlike print and electronic media, the web did not exist and operate in an institutional form and there was a need for some mechanism to put checks and balances on this medium although it was impossible to regulate it, additional solicitor general Tushar Mehta argued before the apex court.

"There are institutions which are working in other media whether it is paper, television or cinema. There is an institutional approach and there are checks like pre-censorship for TV and films. But in internet there is individual approach and there is no checks and balances or license," Mehta told the bench of Justices J Chelameswar and Rohinton Fali Nariman.

He said that restriction on freedom of speech and expression changed with the change in medium and higher level of restriction should be applied to the web.

"Considering the reach and impact of medium, leeway be given to legislature to frame rules. On internet every individual is a director, producer and broadcaster and a person can send offensive material to millions of people at a same time in nanosecond just with a click of button," he said.

"In case of internet, it is very easy to invade someone's privacy. Morphing of images can be done and put on internet or some rumour can be spread through internet which can create social disorder in society. It is not possible to outrage someone's modesty through print and television but it can be easily done through internet," the ASG said.

The bench, however, said that reasonable restriction allowed under Article 19(2) of Constitution on freedom of speech and expression did not recognize any form of medium.

Mehta said that the apex court in its various judgements had recognized different threshold of restrictions for different mediums depending upon their reach and impact.

Emphasizing the need to continue with Section 66A, making posting of offensive messages on social networking site an offence punishable up to three-year jail term, Mehta said that it cannot be quashed or thrown out just because the provision is vague on defining the word "grossly offensive".

The court is hearing a bunch of petitions challenging constitutional validity of Section 66A on the ground that it violates fundamental right to freedom of speech and expression.

The court had earlier said that the term offensive was "vague" and highly "subjective" term and Section 66A is prone to misuse.

The government had said that posting pictures and comments on social networking sites which hurt religious sentiments cannot be tolerated and people must be prosecuted under Section 66A. It had said that hurting religious sentiments comes under the category of "grossly offensive" under the provision and such acts must be penalized.

Internet needs stricter curbs than print, TV: Centre to SC - The Times of India

AAP condemns the @narendramodi government's attempt to stifle freedoms on the internet.

Internet needs stricter curbs than print, TV: Centre to SC - The Times of India

@
jamahir

I condemn this move. Plain and Simple. :tdown:

Unlike TV, Movies and Radio which is a one way communication, Internet is a TWO WAY COMMUNICATION. Every party gets to have its say and be heard. It is ABSURD to censor it.

BJP must NOT walk down this path. I&B ministry and Law Ministry must ask the legal team representing them to tone this down.

Idiotic move, I sincerely hope it doesn't fructify.

Does @isupportaap ever post any non-pro-AAP/anti-BJP news? Ever? Even once?

Why do you prefix the title with ' Breaking" ? Whats breaking news about this ?

This is yesterdays news

Also, why is the title doctored for effect ? The convention here is that for a copy & paste job the original title is retained.

First of all AAP is Party of foreign funded NGO Owners.. These NGOs are anti-national... These NGOs are involved in spreading lie , rumors and terrorism.

Before posting any comment, we need to check if AAP is telling truth (AAP is famous of telling lie)...

If by any chance Modi is doing it, it is wrong.. It can be be misused by police to harass common man.

This censorship should stop, I do not understand why the govt. is keen on doing it.

Introduce a clause that if any thing on internet threaten law and order situation of the country then its fine but this is stupid.

This is yesterdays news

Also, why is the title doctored for effect ? The convention here is that for a copy & paste job the original title is retained.
Did you read his username? He is an AAPtard.

Idiotic move, I sincerely hope it doesn't fructify.

Does @isupportaap ever post any non-pro-AAP/anti-BJP news? Ever? Even once?

why should i?do you bhakts post anything positive about AAP?i am your opponent ,AAP is here to point out your mistakes,we are not here to shout har har modi ji jay shri ram ji ki

This is yesterdays news

only bhakts are allowed to prefix headings my bad, what do you mean doctored title?
i was quoting this tweet so the title is fine ,feel free to report if you are so butthurt about it!lol

expected,bhakts were getting trolled big time

I condemn this move. Plain and Simple. :tdown:

Unlike TV, Movies and Radio which is a one way communication, Internet is a TWO WAY COMMUNICATION. Every party gets to have its say and be heard. It is ABSURD to censor it.

BJP must NOT walk down this path. I&B ministry and Law Ministry must ask the legal team representing them to tone this down.

With the speed with which our courts operate...one can put a case of amoral or offensive social media content on anyone until the court decides...This, if it goes through, which I highly doubt, will be abundantly misused like blasphemy law.

only bhakts are allowed to prefix headings my bad, what do you mean doctored title?

Firstly, whom are your referring to as Bhakt ?

Next, the TOI article you copied & pasted was not written by you. It was merely copied & pasted therefore you do not have the lien to alter it in any manner & this includes the title. Making changes in the body or title amounts to doctoring it.

Hope this helps

With the speed with which our courts operate...one can put a case of amoral or offensive social media content on anyone until the court decides...This, if it goes through, which I highly doubt, will be abundantly misused like blasphemy law.

Exactly. Its a dangerous move to curtail freedom and expression.

Congress did enough damage with their forcible censorship and actions of citizens who posted against Sharad Pawar and Chidambaram.

BJP must never walk down that path. Its the first step towards emergency.

what abut thoses 3500 pages i like abut desi bhabhi desi aunty desi housewifes ?:p:

Back
Top Bottom