What's new

Being an Indian Woman Living through the trials & tribulations of womanhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't associate yourself with Indian women ... better call yourself a muslim woman or pakistani... degraded persons like yourself can in no way be associated with India or Indian...

Is being born as a girl really a curse?

There is something that I haven’t been able to forget for a day since last 21 months & 25 days when I had just come back with my new-born daughter. Though my husband had deserted us (the mother & the child) at the hospital itself, I was happy. The gate watchman at my parents’ house asked us, “Is it a Boy” and I replied happily, its my sweet daughter. He became sad and said with a crying gesture, “Oh Don’t worry. Next time God will give a son”. Initially I avoided the notion but when neighbourhood aunties also went on in the same lingo, I have asked this question every since, to myself – Is being born as a girl really a curse that everyone wishes boyhood for you?

However, somehow I have been able to pin down the problem that is prevalent in the Indian society.

All cultured girls in India, no matter what religion they come from, are taught from the childhood by their parents that the house in which they are born is not actually their’s rather they are like guests and one day they need to go to their real home, that is of their husband and in-laws. The girls have to “manage” and “adjust” in their so-called actual homes, no matter what the case is. And today if you look at it legally, married women do not have any ownership of shared marital households.

Married women not only have to deal with ever rising demands from in-laws (which many a times ruin the happiness of the households they were born in) & work as a domestic help, but also deal with physical, social, emotional & physical harassments coming from their darling husbands, or should we say, “pati parmeshwar” (meaning a husband who has a stature not lower than God for his wife).

Women fast for the long life of their husbands in the name of rituals. They are denied right to wear colour if the husband dies. And in case of divorcees, they are looked down upon as if it was all their fault for the breakdown of marriage. Most of our society does not even consider women to be human beings if they are stuck in a bad marriage. Things are changing slightly in urban India but it still hasn’t been easy for divorcees.

The problem lies in a quintessential question: Is it really correct to make your own daughter so separate from yourself after marriage ? What was it that you gave to her in her years before marriage ? What is really love or just a comfort that we give to our guests when they come to stay with us at our home ?

Here, I am not talking about that there is no difference between girl and boy, I am talking about the authority and responsiblity of parents towards a girl even after her marriage.

To put it in perspective, would like to put forth a distinct point: Do cast an eye on the percentages of girls versus boys in class 10 and class 12 board exams. It would just bring forth how girls are far ahead of boys. And to “equalise classroom basis sex “, colleges in Bangalore have a higher cut-off for girls and a lower for boys! None ever did that for girls when few came to school?

So in times like this, shouldn’t we teach not only our daughters but also their parents, that the girls are not equal to boys, rather they are superior! And thus all this though process of girls being paraya dhan (belonging to other), is nothing but sheer crap. Girls should not “adjust” and “manage” in their in-laws just to please the parents or the society in general, rather they should be a judge in their own rights, their respect and for their own honour. This jigsaw called our society has to have a different set of constituents to remain symmetrical now & high time we all learn to accept it.

Please don't associate yourself with Indian women ... better call yourself a muslim woman or pakistani... degraded persons like yourself can in no way be associated with India or Indian...
What is your problem????A person as disgusting as urself is curse to everything indian and India.

Btw thats not my blog.

How do you know her ? It seem you are new member with just two posts..or you are one of those with multiple IDs :p

Putting flag of India in your profile and pretending to be an Indian... and that too an Indian woman ... really are you that ashamed with your real self ... that you can not even put both flags of your country ... follow your leader jinnah and become a pakistani ... we Indians dont want to be associated with you people.. you disgust us...

The blog gives a poor example... IPad vs Holiday !!!

Really ??

Like this post if anyone thinks there are bigger problems than IPad or Holidays being solved by both husband and wife together amicably everyday.

Feminism, Sita & Draupadi

Tavleen Singh

“A free race cannot be born of slave mothers.”
On the occasion of celebrating womanhood worldwide through International Women’s Day, many remembered this saying - probably for a day. It is a reminder of what we forget and ignore about women in our society everyday. It is apt to remember a few heroic women from the epics of Indian mythology, women who are perhaps the first inspirers in upholding the ideals of womanhood and feminism.

The two greatest epics of Indian mythology - the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, have been composed centrally around two women & their stories - Sita and Draupadi. Both, of the five ‘Sreshta Naris’ (literally pure & chaste women), have shaped the Indian psyche. They were torch bearers of women’s rights who have only grown more relevant in this modern age.

Initially known to be the perfect "docile" wife to the ideal Prince Rama, Sita’s personality matured in the fire of self-realisation. She forced her way to accompany Rama in exile, when custom demanded she stay put in the palace. After her abduction by Ravana, a series of events unfolded to test not just her integrity and chastity, but also her strength and belief in herself and the courage to rise out of those adversities with her head held high.

In Lanka, she had to protect herself from the advances of Ravana. After her rescue, when she was unexpectedly and cruelly rejected by Rama, she had to take the test of fire, or ‘Agnipariksha’, to prove her purity and truthfulness, to stop wagging tongues that cursed her for living with another man (wholly disregarding the fact that she was a captive against her will). [Bear in mind that Rama was considered the ideal man as he chose not to take more than one wife - a hypocritical yet socially accepted & expected norm of that time. This obsession with chastity of women seems very symptomatic of the past & so several times seems to have formed a controversial crux of the story.]

Even after putting her self-respect aside and accepting Rama back, she was again deserted by him in the forests when she was pregnant with his two sons. It was no surprise when this woman of steel still managed to come through and raise her twins without their father. This was a critical juncture in Ramayana when a woman who was always taught how to be a good, obedient & socially-acceptable wife, found this immense strength in her to lead an independent life and be a single-mother.

A strong and beautiful princess, Draupadi, was known to be an aggressive woman who spoke her mind in a world where women would silently suffer rather than speak. She was known to challenge the male ego without the typical cause and effect analysis that stopped all women of her time. The first famous-infamous polyandrous woman, she proudly & deftly handled the love of five brothers. She was the only known woman to have, shockingly for her time, openly insulted the Kuru elders and her husbands. Well versed with laws of the state, she questioned the very concept of Dharma. A pioneer of feminism - she fought for her rights when her enslaved husbands lost her in a game of Chausar (modern day Ludo). Step back thousands of years - imagine the spine in a woman who stood for herself in the court of the most powerful kings of that time & literally stood her ground. Not just that, with striking dignity she refused to take the third boon Dhritarashtra offered as peace offering; because with her husbands free and in possession of their weapons (with the first two boons), she did not need any more favours.

Draupadi was a woman proud of her choices in life, not afraid to make her own rules. She taught, way back then, that a woman eventually can be ‘husbanded’, yet be unprotected. This remarkable woman never asked anything for herself. Born unwanted, thrust abruptly into a polyandrous marriage, she seemed to have had a profound awareness of being an instrument in bringing about the end of an effete epoch so that a new age could begin. She transcended her lower self and became an instrument of higher design.

Can anyone imagine what it must have been to suffer attempted disrobing (Draupadi vastraharan) at the hands of a brother-in-law in front of all the elders of the family? To be married to the five most fierce warriors of the age and instead of retribution, to be exiled. Then to be molested & kidnapped, only to have the criminal (Jarasandh) forgiven for the sake of "dharma". To be molested a third time in a court (Keechak) and swallow the acid of "peace" yet again. And finally she found victory when all her sons, kith and kin (sans her husbands) were slain. Still she remained sane. Cursed was a woman so beautiful. But did she buckle down? If she had, we probably wouldn't have heard of the Mahabharata.

It is hard not to notice a pattern here - that of the voice of moderation & peace mongering of Yudhishthir. Right up to the end, he along with Draupadi's best friend, Krishna, 'fought for peace'. Back in those days, and in most cultures even today, the role of a man was to protect his wife. That Yudhishthir was always able to place the State & Dharma over his duties to his wife (except when he conveniently wanted to put the kingdom at stake on a whim) speaks volumes. If the most coveted and powerful queen had to suffer this, how could a simple woman have fared better? Thankfully land & kingdoms are no more linked to livelihood. Today women can be self-dependent. Men are now companions, not protectors. Some semblance of balance is being restored in our universe.

It is a little difficult to relate to Sita when compared to the fierce tongued Draupadi. For feminism is mostly equated with bra-burning and some angst. That is as incorrect & stereotypical as slotting athletic women as "good-enough-to-be-a-man". Being a woman means not having to be a man. Physical strength does not set us apart. It is an established physiological fact. But will a man ever be able to bear the pains of childbirth? No, a woman's strongest strengths are love, kindness and much more that makes the world a more beautiful place. Picture that and you see how Sita was full of strength and love. How she protected all that was hers until her last breath. Yes, her story was a sad and unfair one. But with all the downs she saw, she managed to keep the beauty in her life. She chose to remain standing, the first single mother of our culture.

In the present era, one of the biggest ironies in the Indian culture is that where many worship Mother Nature, Mother Earth, and powerful women as Goddesses depicting wealth, prosperity, health and knowledge; the actual social situation of Indian women remains being the stark opposite of this. A woman might want to fight back, but in a rigid social set-up, there are a lot of mental, emotional and social barriers that are restraining her from truly fighting her way out. When your enemy is a stranger, a third person, it is easier to gather strength and fight, but when it is someone who lives in your own home and shares a life with you, it becomes nearly impossible to fight & change so many hearts and minds.

Women have a lot of rigid morals and ideals indoctrinated right from birth. She realizes that being ‘lady-like’, ‘not retaliating’ and ‘enduring pain and hurt' are a natural heritage & should be accepted that way. When we talk about feminism and celebrating womanhood, we often say that women must come out of their cocoons and fight back for what they truly deserve. But, we must never forget that, it is very hard to fight an enemy who is also in your heart.

So, women, pledge instead to never let the hands that hold us, hold us down. Let us declare that being a woman, the greatest sin is to do nothing and not help fellow-women. Let us today, raise and honour those who inspire us, right from our mythological heroines to the modern day feminists and human rights workers. Follow the paths of many such real- life heroines who have shown the courage to open their minds and respect womanhood and their very being - our everyday Draupadis and Sitas!

The blog gives a poor example... IPad vs Holiday !!!

Really ??

Like this post if anyone thinks there are bigger problems than IPad or Holidays being solved by both husband and wife together amicably everyday.
one should be a avid reader then just scanning through the lines.

Sita Ya Draupadi?

Women’s day! Ring any bells? Yes…it is that time of the year again when the world wakes up from its year-long slumber to celebrate womanhood. In India, we have a unique way of celebrating. We take stock of all the successful women we have, from business to Bollywood, and then wave them as placards of a society which values and loves its women. And well…that is about all we do. At the stroke of the mid-night hour, these placards are once again stuffed into big bags, carefully preserved for use next year.
For the rest of the year, women faithfully take up their role as the oppressed, depressed and suppressed.

From birth till death, their lives are claimed by males, then be it their father, husband or son. A typical female in the Indian society spends the first 25 years obeying the rules and regulations set by her father. For the next fifty years (average) she is expected to comply with all the whims and fancies of her husband. If she is still lucky enough to survive, she becomes a full-time, non-paid maid for her sons (Pardon me for my bluntness, but that is exactly how it is.).

So where is the time when she lives for herself? When she does things as she likes, on her own terms? When does she express her individuality? In a country like India, where the girls are not welcome right from the time they are conceived, it is tough being a woman. Each day is a war for survival. There are no allies, just enemies.

The Indian woman has always been expected to take up the role of the ideal homemaker (catch any daily soap to see what I mean). They should be able to resolve conflicts peacefully, stand by their husband’s side even if he is wrong. They should be the ultimate example of patience and perseverance. If she wields her power, it is only for her husband’s sake. She never uses it for her own because that would be selfish and Indian women are not selfish.

Maybe this attitude towards women has roots in our mythology. We have Sita, Sati and Draupadi. Sita, who didn’t say a word when her husband questioned her character. Instead of putting up a fight, she sank down into the Earth. She knew she was right but couldn’t bring herself to oppose her husband. Sati, who jumped into flames, when it came to choosing between husband and father. Who willingly gave up her life, rather than dishonor one of the men who controlled her life. And Savitri, who undertook a long and difficult journey to get her husband back.

Obviously , a married woman can’t raise her voice today because Sita wouldn’t have done that. We do not have choices because Sati didn’t have any. We cannot just dump our husbands, even if he turns out to be an authoritative fool, because Savitri wouldn’t have done that. All along the way, we forget Draupadi, who is often called the very reason for Mahabharat. She defied all the normal marital laws. The very people who want us to be like Sita, refrain from commenting about Draupadi. She, who had five husbands, who claimed back her body when they gambled her as their property, who unbound her hair and challenged her husbands to bathe them with the blood of those who dishonored her. She has always been the controversial one.

From her view-point, Sita chose to go back to mother Earth because she didn’t consider it worth living with a man who didn’t trust her. Sati took the leap because she was fed up of this male-dominated world. They seem to be the most misinterpreted women to me. Their bold actions have been toned down and wrapped in the soothing fabric of ‘womanly duties’. What they did for themselves, has been projected as acts of selflessness and devotion to their husbands by the male pundits and gurus. The result: Unrealistic expectations from the women today.

Women seem to have no voice of their own. All they have is their body and soul, which has also been claimed by the administrators of society. They are worshipped as creators of life, yet their own life is one of never-ending pain, sacrifices and prejudices.

But why go back to their era? You’ll get concrete proof of what I want to say soon enough. This year, Holi and women’s day coincide. See for yourself the incidents of eve-teasing and harassment that the young girls will be subjected to. Is that how we treat our women? Sadly, yes, it is.

Such issues exist across various parts of Asia and middle east where women are given a lower status than men in some way or the other... I have heard anecdotes pointing to similar issues from friends in various countries in these regions. However these issues are being more talked about.. Social perceptions are changing....it is a slow change which is expected since it takes time to change mindset of an entire population.

Incidentally the inequality towards women is not just propagated by men, women also do the same to other women...whether by favoring male child or by giving up their own self respect or by teaching their daughters to be subservient or by even being abusive towards other women.

A good read Ajtr ! I confess that, most regrettably, the situation of women in Pakistan is more or less the same and even worse in some of our tribal areas. Lets hope that the NGO would make some difference in the lives of women in both in Pakistan and India.

Now...come to gmail ! :)

Raja Pakistani... i have been following this forum from past few months .. and I know which member belongs to India and which pretends to be an Indian... like majority of Chinese member originate from pakistan here ... and this ajrt /// which is a pakistani ... is pretending to be an Indian ... just like .. pakistani;s in west pretends to be Indian... and when you really wanna know from where they really are .. just tell them I am pakistani ... and the same moment the pakistani pretending to be Indian.. shows his/her true colors... ajrt is a classic case of a Pakistani ... he/she really should not be ashamed of the country he/she belongs..

Raja Pakistani... i have been following this forum from past few months .. and I know which member belongs to India and which pretends to be an Indian... like majority of Chinese member originate from pakistan here ... and this ajrt /// which is a pakistani ... is pretending to be an Indian ... just like .. pakistani;s in west pretends to be Indian... and when you really wanna know from where they really are .. just tell them I am pakistani ... and the same moment the pakistani pretending to be Indian.. shows his/her true colors... ajrt is a classic case of a Pakistani ... he/she really should not be ashamed of the country he/she belongs..

She most probably might be an Indian married to Pakistan , living in India.

If you have nothing to offer, kindly learn to keep your sorry opinions to yourself. You don't like the OP, fine! Move on & continue moving. You would be better advised to respond to the post, not bother yourself with the poster as much. Certificate issuing is a disgraceful habit. Nothing in the article posted warranted such a reaction.

Syama ... no she is a pakistani pretending to be an Indian.. that is what disgust me most.. these pakistanis should better put arabian flags in their profile than Indian... and if they are putting Indian flags then they are as shameless as one can be...

Syama ... no she is a pakistani pretending to be an Indian.. that is what disgust me most.. these pakistanis should better put arabian flags in their profile than Indian... and if they are putting Indian flags then they are as shameless as one can be...

In that case she must be a Pakistani with good command over Telugu :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom