What's new

BBC-Miss India contest: Why do all the finalists 'look the same'?

just because you ask the question: "How will you change the world"
for which they are prepared in advance by a pageant coach for month to get few things in their head.
Only if every question asked in the contest is "How will you change the world" most of the time.
Every competition requires training, that's why the white looking chicks (according to some here) do not always win. They coach, answer tough questions, eat healthy, workout and be confident. All of them, at least from India are successful women, they achieved great success in fashion or other industries.

Only if every question asked in the contest is "How will you change the world" most of the time.
Every competition requires training, that's why the white looking chicks (according to some here) do not always win. They coach, answer tough questions, eat healthy, workout and be confident. All of them, at least from India are successful women, they achieved great success in fashion or other industries.

I always find it funny that models, acctreses and singer "achieve great success in fashion"

Its because they just put their name on a product which is designed and produced by an already established business in that industry!! do you really think a singer knows shit about making perfumes yet they all have one

South Asian families are conservative to send their daughters to the fashion or movie industry. Just like how it's haram in Islam to expose body parts and many muslim families restrict their women to pursue careers on those lines, conservative Indians also tend to do the same resulting in participants who's parents are liberal enough.

Again, I'm not defending everyone in India is good looking and just like how Pak's punjabis look different to Karachites, the facial features and complexion widely varies from region to region in India

I agree.

This girl is my favourite:

View attachment 562719

Garima Yadav from Uttar Pradesh.

The three I named are far better.

In that case, your Chinese masters all look the same with pale faces and still your so called extremely good looking Pakistani women are flocking to em. What'd you say about that?

Stop making stupid comments, they're not masters of no one, and no extremely good looking women are flocking to them. There is a niche of very poor, Christian women who have married Chinese men.

I always find it funny that models, acctreses and singer "achieve great success in fashion"

Its because they just put their name on a product which is designed and produced by an already established business in that industry!! do you really think a singer knows shit about making perfumes yet they all have one
It is funny when you guys reason with illogical comments.

So, what are you saying? An actor or say singer who acts in Adidas ad should be a chemical engineer? Or a model who models for a car company should be an automobile Engineer?

A well known personality say "Sachin" who acts in MRF (A tyre company) acts in it because the company could afford to pay millions in advertisements to boost their company, these millions come from their customers, which means customer trust. If MRF had a bad rep, people would stop buying them and their revenue goes down so they don't spend money on Ad.

That's the logic behind people buying from such brands.

yes i know but look at those women pics they looks like a 50 plus anties
Not surprised. The contestants should be unmarried and should be more than 18 years old. Guess that's a rarity in some countries.:lol:

It is funny when you guys reason with illogical comments.

So, what are you saying? An actor or say singer who acts in Adidas ad should be a chemical engineer? Or a model who models for a car company should be an automobile Engineer?

yes that what I am saying, when you are saying the idea of pageant is brain behind the beauty. Otherwise a farm working girl can give you answer to how to make this world a better place...because there is no right answer but only who you like more.

yes that what I am saying, when you are saying the idea of pageant is brain behind the beauty. Otherwise a farm working girl can give you answer to how to make this world a better place...because there is no right answer but only who you like more.
You missed the point completely. A farm girl who looks good in a certain way, who is fairly intelligent to endure tough questions in every rounds, these are not cliche questions like "How to make the world better" btw, is well deserved to be a miss world if she make a run for it.

Also, there maybe better "beauty with brains" out there. But the one who contest in them are the ones who deserve it. Not the farm girl who never stepped outside her world.

apki umer ki meera ha.
200.gif

Yeah, well, the organiser tend to pick the hotter ones.

Everyone looks like crap in that group photo, though.

Miss India contest: Why do all the finalists 'look the same'?
By Geeta PandeyBBC News, Delhi
  • 30 May 2019
_107146421_gettyimages-1139018051.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionCritics say many participants in this year's beauty pageant look similar
It is the contest that kick-started Bollywood superstar Priyanka Chopra's career, so it is unsurprising that this year's Miss India finalists have such wide smiles in their publicity shots.

After all, this is a competition with the power to change lives.

But instead of being able to enjoy their success, they have found themselves at the centre of a storm over a photo collage which, critics say, suggests the organisers are obsessed with fair skin.

The collage published in the Times of India newspaper - which belongs to the group that organises the annual beauty pageant - depicts 30 headshots of beautiful women.

But when a Twitter user shared it and posed a question: "What is wrong with this picture?" it began to gain traction.

Skip Twitter post by @Naa_Cheese
"); background-position: 16px 13px; border: 0px solid rgb(255, 255, 255); border-radius: 4px; font-weight: initial; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; visibility: visible; display: block; position: static; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px;">
View image on Twitter

Sameer@Naa_Cheese

What is wrong with this picture?

12:50 AM - May 28, 2019

435 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

End of Twitter post by @Naa_Cheese

_105914179_blank_white_space-nc.png

With their tame, glossy, shoulder-length hair and a skin tone that is virtually identical, some quipped that they all looked the same. Others wondered out loud - albeit as a joke - if in fact they were all the same person.

As the picture gained traction on Twitter, critics made the point that while there was nothing wrong with the image of the women themselves, the lack of diversity in skin colour has once again highlighted India's obsession with being fair and lovely.

As social media chatter grew, we tried to get in touch with the organisers but there has been no response so far.

Beauty pageants have been serious business in India since the mid-1990s. The country has produced several famous Miss Indias, like Aishwarya Rai, Sushmita Sen and Ms Chopra, who also won global titles. Many pageant winners have also gone on to have lucrative Bollywood careers.

Over the years, institutions that train young women aspiring to participate in beauty pageants have mushroomed across the country.

But again, many of their biggest successes have been women who are light-skinned.

_107152466_gettyimages-541261326.jpg
Image captionAishwarya Rai soon after she was crowned Miss World 1994
_105914179_blank_white_space-nc.png

This is hardly surprising.

India's obsession with fairness, especially when it comes to women, is well known and many regard fair skin as being superior to darker tones.

It has always been accepted for instance, that fairer is better in the marriage market.

And ever since the 1970s, when Fair and Lovely - India's first fairness cream - was introduced, skin whitening cosmetics have been among the highest selling in the country and, over the years, top Bollywood actors and actresses have appeared in advertisements to endorse them.

Commercials for such creams and gels promised not just fair skin but also peddled them as means to get a glamorous job, find love, or get married.

And pageants like this, which favour a particular type of skin tone, only serve to perpetuate that stereotype.

Media caption#unfairandlovely: Women speak out against skin lightening
In 2005, some bright spark decided that it was not just women who needed fairer skin, so along came India's first fairness cream for men - Fair and Handsome.

Endorsed by Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan no less, it soon became a huge success.

In recent years, there have been campaigns such as Dark is Beautiful and #unfairandlovely, questioning "colourism" and calling on people to celebrate dark skin. And last year, I wrote about a new campaign that re-imagined popular Hindu gods and goddesses with a darker skin.

But this has not stopped the flood of new creams and gels that claim to lighten everything from armpit hair to - hold your breath - female genitalia.

Their popularity in India can be gauged from the fact that fairness creams and bleaches sell for hundreds of millions of dollars every year and, according to one estimate, the market for women's fairness products is expected to be 50bn rupees ($716m; £566m) by 2023.

The defenders of skin whitening products say it's a matter of personal choice, that if women can use lipstick to make their lips redder, then what's the big deal about using creams or gels to appear fairer?

It may sound logical, but campaigners point out that this obsession with fair skin is grossly unfair - the "superiority" of light skin is subtly, but constantly, reinforced and that perpetuates societal prejudice and hurts people with darker complexions who grow up with low self-confidence. It also impacts their personal and professional success, they say.

We've heard models with darker skin colours say how they were overlooked for assignments and I can remember only a few darker-skinned Bollywood actresses in leading roles.

_107152470_gettyimages-52285663.jpg
Image captionBeauty pageants have been accused of favouring a particular skin tone
In 2014, the Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI), a self-regulatory body of advertisers, issued a set of guidelines barring commercials from depicting people with darker skin colour as "unattractive, unhappy, depressed or concerned" and said that they should not be shown as being at a disadvantage when it came to "prospects of matrimony, jobs or promotions".

The ads, however, continue to be made, even though they are a bit more discreet now compared to the earlier in-your-face sort of campaigns. Popular film actors and actresses also continue to endorse them.

But as I write this piece, a heart-warming piece of news is just being reported: South Indian actress Sai Pallavi has confirmed that she rejected a 20m rupee deal to appear in a fairness cream advertisement earlier this year.

"What am I going to do with the money I get from such an ad? I don't have... big needs.

"I can say that the standards we have are wrong. This is the Indian colour. We can't go to foreigners and ask them why they're white.

"That's their skin colour and this is ours," she was quoted as saying.

Pallavi's comments are being hailed as a breath of fresh air by commentators, especially as they are seen in context to the Miss India collage where all contestants look the same - whitewashed.

The look all the same because they are from the 1% caste.

I wonder what caste are they all from??? I don't see must caste diversity here?

Maybe next time the pageant organizers will embrace some diversity to reflect the other underrepresented 99% caste members.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom