What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Meanwhile as an aside - review this piece of hogwash from the Forbes magazine last January (inaccuracies are legion and who is this Arafat Kabir Mossad guy?),

Do your research:

China Making A Play At Bangladesh? - Forbes
Arafat Kabir Upol is an observer of national and global politics, foreign policy and diplomacy. A native from Bangladesh, his works have appeared in the Diplomatic Courier, International Policy Digest, The Diplomat and other publications. He is a multilingual member of Young Professionals in Foreign Policy.
Arafat Kabir Upol

Arafat Kabir is a regional politics analyst based in Bangladesh.
Arafat Kabir Profile | The National Interest

Crimea and Bangladesh: Behind the Controversy
Dhaka’s abstention on the UN resolution on Crimea should not have been a surprise.
[Arafat Kabir is a Bangladesh based analyst of regional and global affairs. His articles have appeared in outlets including The Wall Street Journal, The National Interest and International Policy Digest.]
Crimea and Bangladesh: Behind the Controversy | The Diplomat

Bangladesh: Lessons from Estonia?
Two very different countries, with a common vision. But there are some differences
Bangladesh: Lessons from Estonia? | The Diplomat

Modi-fying our strategy | Dhaka Tribune

Bangladesh: Indian Cooperation Sparks Public Discord

Diplomacy Bridging the U.S-Iranian Divide

Global | Young Professionals in Foreign Policy

_crop2Passport-size-photograph-Arafat-Kabir-1.jpg

Arafat Kabir | Conflict Resolutions and World Security Solutions | worldsecuritynetwork.com

Last edited:
Well I think the chances of Bangladesh getting sub-launched Harpoons with India's objections are close to nil. And I don't know if the Chinese offer a retrofit of the Ming G model with the C-801Q which is a Submarine-launched C-801 model. More importantly - does the threat from Myanmar Navy necessitate an AShM of this caliber (so to speak)?

Meanwhile as an aside - review this piece of hogwash from the Forbes magazine last January (inaccuracies are legion and who is this Arafat Kabir Mossad guy?),

China Making A Play At Bangladesh? - Forbes
some inaccuracies for sure....
I think the biggest fault of his writing is that he totally missed out the parts played by India, US and Russia to highlight his point.... the title gives away his stance towards Chinese involvement.....

some inaccuracies for sure....
I think the biggest fault of his writing is that he totally missed out the parts played by India, US and Russia to highlight his point.... the title gives away his stance towards Chinese involvement.....

Agreed on all counts. He conveniently forgot to mention (at an interesting and possibly deliberate attempt to 'sensationalize' the story) the well-known fact that Missile/UAV batteries and Naval bases at Sagar Island and a deep draft port for AC group vessels including Arihant subs at Paradip (a few miles North of Vizag) has been in planning for ages by the Eastern command of the Indian Navy. Such planning far precedes any Chinese attempt to string a pearl necklace of ports across Asian countries by China in trying to create a 'maritime' silk road. If there is going to be a Gwadar East it could hardly be Chittagong (Bangladesh is not nearly as hostile to India as Pakistan is). As @kalu_miah interjected above - purchase of obsolete late Ming subs could itself be a concession paid by the Bangladesh Govt. to Indian diplomatic pressure. Bangladesh could easily afford Yuan class subs if not Kilo class copies made by China outright which of course are in another gradation strategy-wise as @Ideas_R_Bulletproof stated earlier.

I think he either does not get (or chooses to ignore) the larger geopolitical roles being played by players other than China and ends up being a convenient mouthpiece for Neocon (read Anti-Chinese) interests. Sad...

Agreed on all counts. He conveniently forgot to mention (at an interesting and possibly deliberate attempt to 'sensationalize' the story) the well-known fact that Missile/UAV batteries and Naval bases at Sagar Island and a deep draft port for AC group vessels including Arihant subs at Paradip (a few miles North of Vizag) has been in planning for ages by the Eastern command of the Indian Navy. Such planning far precedes any Chinese attempt to string a pearl necklace of ports across Asian countries by China in trying to create a 'maritime' silk road. If there is going to be a Gwadar East it could hardly be Chittagong (Bangladesh is not nearly as hostile to India as Pakistan is). As @kalu_miah interjected above - purchase of obsolete late Ming subs could itself be a concession paid by the Bangladesh Govt. to Indian diplomatic pressure. Bangladesh could easily afford Yuan class subs if not Kilo class copies made by China outright which of course are in another gradation strategy-wise as @Ideas_R_Bulletproof stated earlier.

I think he either does not get (or chooses to ignore) the larger geopolitical roles being played by players other than China and ends up being a convenient mouthpiece for Neocon (read Anti-Chinese) interests. Sad...
his write-up was imbalanced from the start.... none of the powers is having a hands-off policy here in the Bay of Bengal.... if we want to address it, we should address the whole picture instead of picking up just one part of it.... if someone does the latter, he most definitely favours the plays of one or more of the other parties.... we must not forget that, to survive we need to balance all the powers' interests.... to listen to one or the other is the biggest mistake we can possibly make.... our situation is unique.... so, we should go our unique way, rather than following a magic potion suggested by someone.....

Two related earlier threads, one before the sub purchase and one when the deal was finalized:
Future Submarine fleet for Bangladesh
SUBMARINE PURCHASE: Dhaka finalises deals with Beijing

The US is not going to last too long in this region, my personal opinion, the safer bet is to go with China. Myanmar will become a Chinese vassal as it had been in past centuries. US Pivot to Asia will fail. US influence will keep going down with every passing year and the gap being filled by China. US led west is a formidable power economically with technology that no one can match yet, but the gap is closing fast. The main reason why China will win in East Asia is because its close proximity. China sits in the eastern end of Eurasian land mass with borders with many countries, from Central Asia to Korean peninsula. The US led West are faraway and there is only so much that can be done with projected power using seaborne vessels and a few bases. Economies of these countries will get much more integrated with China, because of close proximity, much more than they can become integrated with the West.

India is trying very hard to make China allergic to Muslims using Uighur violence and separatism, looking at some posts in this forum. One of our biggest drawback is that we are Muslim, no one trusts or likes us. But alliances are based on mutual need, not likes or dislikes.

A nation has to make an educated guess about the future and throw their lot with the most likely winner. Fence sitting is for confused people, it is tantamount to wasting time and giving enemy the opportunity to succeed.

Another reason for China selling the obsolete subs could be that due to current govt. close relationship with India, China is not comfortable to sell their latest tech, as the Indians may get access to inspect them closely, according to quite a few posters in above threads.

Last edited:
I hope you speak for yourself .

Where are you from, by the way, why not show your flags?

Specifically what do you want to know about that statement, that religion has no bearing on people's likes and dislikes?

ignore it, every where brings religion :angry:

Mind your own business, he asked me a question, I can answer it.

Where are you from, by the way, why not show your flags?
Antarctica doesn't have a flag as it is not a nation nor is it ruled by a single government or body.
distribution-graphic1.gif

BearPolarPenguin.jpg

Specifically what do you want to know about that statement, that religion has no bearing on people's likes and dislikes?
I don't want to know anything about any statement. I merely stated that I hoped you spoke for yourself only when you said "we are Muslim, no one trusts or likes us."

Last edited:
Antarctica doesn't have a flag as it is not a nation nor is it ruled by a single government or body.
distribution-graphic1.gif

BearPolarPenguin.jpg

I don't want to know anything about any statement. I merely stated that I hoped you spoke for yourself only when you said "we are Muslim, no one trusts or likes us."

Ok, good, I understood and acknowledge your statement. Sorry if I was being nosy.

Wish Bangladesh can bought more modern subs such as Amur Class or Lada class or even improved U-209/U-214 instead of second tier diesel subs from Chinese

India is trying very hard to make China allergic to Muslims using Uighur violence and separatism, looking at some posts in this forum. One of our biggest drawback is that we are Muslim, no one trusts or likes us. But alliances are based on mutual need, not likes or dislikes.
India is doing nothing in Uighuir.Stop posting your retarded conspiracy theories.Whatever happening in Uighuir is the fault of Muslims themselves who are living there.

Two related earlier threads, one before the sub purchase and one when the deal was finalized:
Future Submarine fleet for Bangladesh
SUBMARINE PURCHASE: Dhaka finalises deals with Beijing

The US is not going to last too long in this region, my personal opinion, the safer bet is to go with China. Myanmar will become a Chinese vassal as it had been in past centuries. US Pivot to Asia will fail. US influence will keep going down with every passing year and the gap being filled by China. US led west is a formidable power economically with technology that no one can match yet, but the gap is closing fast. The main reason why China will win in East Asia is because its close proximity. China sits in the eastern end of Eurasian land mass with borders with many countries, from Central Asia to Korean peninsula. The US led West are faraway and there is only so much that can be done with projected power using seaborne vessels and a few bases. Economies of these countries will get much more integrated with China, because of close proximity, much more than they can become integrated with the West.

A nation has to make an educated guess about the future and throw their lot with the most likely winner. Fence sitting is for confused people, it is tantamount to wasting time and giving enemy the opportunity to succeed.

Another reason for China selling the obsolete subs could be that due to current govt. close relationship with India, China is not comfortable to sell their latest tech, as the Indians may get access to inspect them closely, according to quite a few posters in above threads.

I hope that BN should make a deal of 6 S-20 with 2 from China and 4 local production till 2020.

Back
Top Bottom