What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Specs for the Ming 035G models (pretty modest as these are training subs):

Ming035Gspecs_zpsfb13e4b1.jpg

Your country should ordering more of Bongobandhu instead of F22P class

Although a bit late in replying, let me interject.

According to a more or less reliable naval and defense industry source (AMI International) BN has already ordered two additional South Korean smaller frigates or corvettes to add on to the single Bangabandhu (modified Ulsan class). However we don't know details (whether larger or smaller than Bangabandhu Ulsan class, new, refurbished or re-fitted).These corvettes could be refurbished Ulsan I class frigates similar to BangaBandhu - because Ulsan class is now slated for replacement in the Republic of Korea Navy, ROKN and they will be sold off. Or they could be new-build frigates (possibly scaled down versions of the Incheon FFX class being built for the (ROKN) at this time) which succeeds the Ulsan class. A third possibility are not frigates but refurbished Pohang class corvettes that will be retiring from the ROKN over the next several years as well. The Incheon class scaled up or down will carry on the roles for both retired Pohang class corvettes and Ulsan class FFGs.

So it seems there will be two classes of FFGs and corvettes in the BN per classic Navy doctrine, a more numerous 'normal quality' complement to add force numbers (mostly refurbished Chinese, Korean and a few USCG cutters), and a few top echelon 'high quality' hulls with first-world navy electronic warfare suites. The new 056 class corvette when built locally will join the latter group IMHO.

Last edited:
Although a bit late in replying, let me interject.

...snip...

Just to illustrate some similarities and differences,

Images of unmodified ROKN ULSAN I class FFG, Bangabandhu (modified Ulsan class FFG) and new INCHEON class FFG (image credits: Globalsecurity, BN and Jager). Progression of older to new(er) Korean designs.

ffk-951_fffk-2.jpg

21372_482114421829545_801250722_n.jpg

FFG-811Incheon_zps75388bfe.png

Last edited:
Just to illustrate some similarities and differences,

Images of unmodified ROKN ULSAN I class FFG, Bangabandhu (modified Ulsan class FFG) and new INCHEON class FFG (image credits: Globalsecurity, BN and Jager at KODEF.net). Progression of older to new(er) Korean designs.

ffk-951_fffk-2.jpg

21372_482114421829545_801250722_n.jpg

FFG-811%28%C2%F7%B1%E2_%C8%A3%C0%A7_1%B9%F8%C7%D4%29_%C0%CE%C3%B5%C7%D4_-2-.png
BNS Bangabondhu is newly built, not modified old ship. it is only one of its class.

BNS Bangabondhu is newly built, not modified old ship. it is only one of its class.

You are right. The new-build was ordered from the manufacturer heavily modified. I think my statements were not understood in their context. Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME) offered Bangladesh a DW2000H derivative (light frigate). It weighs half as much as most comparably armed frigates yet compares well in endurance and electronic warfare capability.

The FFX-1 Incheon-class is known as a HDF-3000 derivative (next Korean FFX standard) built by Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd. (HHI) instead of DSME.

The production of these common designs (DW2000 & HDF-3000) for ROKN are usually split between DSME & HHI although STX, the third of the three large Korean Shipyards sometimes gets subcomponent work as well.

Korean Joint venture electronic warfare suites and weapons are a better deal compared to their European equivalents.

Samsung-Thales offers a Korean developed combat management system such as,
- Naval Shield Integrated Combat Management System (NS-ICMS);
- Short Range Tracking Radar systems.

which maybe of interest to the Bangladesh Navy as it is planned for integration with the Incheon class FFX or even be offered for retrofit to refitted ex-ROKN Ulsan Class vessels. Image below.

ELEC_FFX_Frigate_Combat_System_SamsungThales_lg.jpg

Hyundai WIA is a part of the Hyundai conglomerate which makes the following naval gun products under license from Oto Melara and Thales Nederland which maybe more economical to buy and integrate in the new FFX compared to the original European products.
- 76mm Super Rapid naval gun (equiv. to OTO MELARA);
- 40mm naval gun;
- Goalkeeper CIWS (equiv. to the US Phalanx CIWS);
- Other small-bore close-in weapons

Last edited:
These are pictures of the proposed Incheon class FFX Batch II (more stealthy design). Compare this to the Original Incheon FFX I and see how the new integrated mast, VLS and goalkeeper in the rear were placed.

IMHO this would be a great design as a successor to the BNS BangaBandhu provided we also get TOT. Of course with 3500+ tons this is sized in the 'Somudro Joy' class (our largest frigate so far) - but of course far more modern.

With almost 200 local shipyards (and about ten major ones) I'm sure subsystems can be "easily made" :pleasantry:. For a small country Bangladesh is well-blessed in this area (making floaty things, and also floaty things with barbs :victory1:)

Images follow.

xdo5.jpg

FFX2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom