What's new

Bangladesh Navy

013351p0k7989979lo0739.jpg

Somebody said these two are type 035G sold to BD, though it needs to be confirmed (if they removed the Navy Flag afterwards)

Last edited:
thanks a lot for posting..... can you mention their pennant numbers?

Could Pennant numbers be ready at this point? Wouldn't the subs need a overall cleaning up, refurbishment and refit before pennant numbers are assigned? I saw two different subs in the last image @aliaselin posted (maybe two different Ming versions?).

Here's a link for an article from last December with some information. I couldn't help but laugh out loud at how a pair of obsolete subs (but useful to Bangladesh as first training subs) like the late Ming class could spark high-flying discussion of the Indian navy being 'unsettled'. Of course Indians have an AC group in the area (I forget whether Eastern or Southern command). So much BS and hogwash...

China to Sell Bangladesh 2 Submarines | The Diplomat

Could Pennant numbers be ready at this point? Wouldn't the subs need a overall cleaning up, refurbishment and refit before pennant numbers are assigned? I saw two different subs in the last image @aliaselin posted (maybe two different Ming versions?).

Here's a link for an article from last December with some information. I couldn't help but laugh out loud at how a pair of obsolete subs (but useful to Bangladesh as first training subs) like the late Ming class could spark high-flying discussion of the Indian navy being 'unsettled'. Of course Indians have an AC group in the area (I forget whether Eastern or Southern command). So much BS and hogwash...

I take that comment back - they're the same subs, the inboard one has the top cover on the prow open and is not as loaded (and submerged) as the other one.

Last edited:

I take that comment back - they're the same subs, the inboard one has the top cover on the prow open and is not as loaded (and submerged) as the other one.

:drag::drag::drag:
10245398_740350122672258_5001579459626820483_n.jpg

There are two reasons why Bangladesh is getting these old junk subs:

1. It does not affect India's security as they will never be much effective against Indian navy
2. Hasina and others will pocket bigger kickbacks

The only positive in this sorry saga is that the deal is with China, our potential ally and that Bangladesh navy will get sub experience.

There are two reasons why Bangladesh is getting these old junk subs:

1. It does not affect India's security as they will never be much effective against Indian navy
2. Hasina and others will pocket bigger kickbacks

The only positive in this sorry saga is that the deal is with China, our potential ally and that Bangladesh navy will get sub experience.
There's 3 actually. The third being that since the country doesn't have a submarine service yet, and these are proven, if relatively simple, boats with which the trade can be learned, while adding a layer of complexity to the national defence posture for any external force.

Last edited:
Could Pennant numbers be ready at this point? Wouldn't the subs need a overall cleaning up, refurbishment and refit before pennant numbers are assigned?
well, I was actually referring to the pennant in PLAN service.... some of the subs used to show big pennants.... with pennants we can at least guess a little bit about more specifics....

and about these subs' usefulness..... I talked about it before, and would talk again...... if you know how to use something, you can make it count..... the first advantage of these subs is obviously training..... the second one is deterrent.... think about it.... can only one ship track one of subs after it leaves our port?..... you need at least several units to track a single sub..... that way, those enemy units won't be able to face our surface fleet..... thats called a force multiplier.... we don't have a surface fleet that would scare anyone to a point where our enemy would be forced to field twice strong a force.... but a submarine, even an old one, can...... the effectiveness of these increases several fold when we place them against one of our neighbour's forces that has serious ASW deficiency.... and don't forget that subs are not just effective for interdiction..... they're one of the most effective intelligence platform, able to provide vital early warning to a fleet..... subs would hardly be effective against strongly-held fleets.... most effective against SLOC, where protection is limited.....

Not very likely, since they are of an old model. However, while noisy, if you equip them with sub-launched antiship missiles and don't move them too much (i.e. strategc locations), they would give a opposing naval commander something which cannot be easily ignored.Egypt equipped its old Chinese Ming's with Sub-Harpoon, for example.

Not very likely, since they are of an old model. However, while noisy, if you equip them with sub-launched antiship missiles and don't move them too much (i.e. strategc locations), they would give a opposing naval commander something which cannot be easily ignored.Egypt equipped its old Chinese Ming's with Sub-Harpoon, for example.

Well I think the chances of Bangladesh getting sub-launched Harpoons with India's objections are close to nil. And I don't know if the Chinese offer a retrofit of the Ming G model with the C-801Q which is a Submarine-launched C-801 model. More importantly - does the threat from Myanmar Navy necessitate an AShM of this caliber (so to speak)?

Meanwhile as an aside - review this piece of hogwash from the Forbes magazine last January (inaccuracies are legion and who is this Arafat Kabir Mossad guy?),

China Making A Play At Bangladesh? - Forbes

Well I think the chances of Bangladesh getting sub-launched Harpoons with India's objections are close to nil. And I don't know if the Chinese offer a retrofit of the Ming G model with the C-801Q which is a Submarine-launched C-801 model. More importantly - does the threat from Myanmar Navy necessitate an AShM of this caliber (so to speak)?

Meanwhile as an aside - review this piece of hogwash from the Forbes magazine last January (inaccuracies are legion and who is this Arafat Kabir Mossad guy?),

China Making A Play At Bangladesh? - Forbes

:cuckoo:

Or e.g. the SM-39 Exocet. Or the Russian Club family? It is a free market...

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom