What's new

Artillery Divisions of Pakistan Army

Yar woh turkey k pass bahut saray M-110 kharray huay hain. Unka bhi koi bandobast karayo PA mein :wub:
I think Pakistan is looking to retire its own M110 and you are saying about getting more from Italy.

Shouldve just upgrade those M110 with modern FCS and loading system like what the russian did with their 2S7 Pion

Sometimes there's just no substitute for large caliber howitzer raining the battlefield with heavy shells

Shouldve just upgrade those M110 with modern FCS and loading system like what the russian did with their 2S7 Pion

Sometimes there's just no substitute for large caliber howitzer raining the battlefield with heavy shells
The one place where Russia takes the cake over the US is self propelled artillery, the 2S7, 2S19 and now even the 2S35 are quite a major step up from the equivalent era and role US SPs (those being M110, M109A5 and M109A7). The M109 and M110 chassis don’t have the same room for improvement or the same ranges as those Russian guns did, they also have little to nothing in the way of automation and hence slow reload rates, even with a modern FCS the M110 can’t really compare to the 2S7 because of the M110s limited firing range. A modern 155 can go much further and deliver more deadly ammo while doing so, still, the M110 are good workhorses for PA especially since india has a rather small SP fleet at the moment.

The one place where Russia takes the cake over the US is self propelled artillery, the 2S7, 2S19 and now even the 2S35 are quite a major step up from the equivalent era and role US SPs (those being M110, M109A5 and M109A7). The M109 and M110 chassis don’t have the same room for improvement or the same ranges as those Russian guns did, they also have little to nothing in the way of automation and hence slow reload rates, even with a modern FCS the M110 can’t really compare to the 2S7 because of the M110s limited firing range. A modern 155 can go much further and deliver more deadly ammo while doing so, still, the M110 are good workhorses for PA especially since india has a rather small SP fleet at the moment.
Lets hope PA found a new way to deliver 180 anti-personnel/anti-material grenades through one round only.

Last edited:
Lets hope PA found a new way to deliver 180 anti-personnel/anti-material grenades through one round only.
They very easily can, with modern SPs, that are able to fire twice as far, twice as fast and can instead fire two rounds to accomplish the same task, granted they buy the correct ammo. This time there is no real argument in the favor of an old system, the M110 is used because its there and because it’s cheap, not because it has any unique capabilities, it was never a good SP when compared to its counterparts.

They very easily can, with modern SPs, that are able to fire twice as far, twice as fast and can instead fire two rounds to accomplish the same task, granted they buy the correct ammo. This time there is no real argument in the favor of an old system, the M110 is used because its there and because it’s cheap, not because it has any unique capabilities, it was never a good SP when compared to its counterparts.
Mobile warfare combined with shoot and scoot ability of MLRS/tube - how does range of Arty factor in then ?

Mobile warfare combined with shoot and scoot ability of MLRS/tube - how does range of Arty factor in then ?
I’m sorry, but I’m not sure I follow your question or point this time.
I think more range is always profitable in a shoot and scoot situation too because you can be further back from the enemy and have more engagement options. If you’re say 25 kilometers away then you have a higher chance of running into enemy fire or air or UCAVs than you’d be 50 kilometers into your own territory.

Modern SPs are also far more mobile than an older M110 and have significantly faster set ups and pack ups before and after firing (usually faster than MLRS systems as well)

Or did you mean MLRS over normal artillery? In which case price, reload- ability, mobility etc still make them viable, a long with a larger selection of ammunition. (tracked or wheeled SPs are significantly more mobile than MLRS systems, on which note KRL122s have an underpowered chassis, I wonder if PA has thought about doing anything for it)

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure I follow your question or point this time.
I think more range is always profitable in a shoot and scoot situation too because you can be further back from the enemy and have more engagement options. If you’re say 25 kilometers away then you have a higher chance of running into enemy fire or air or UCAVs than you’d be 50 kilometers into your own territory.

Modern SPs are also far more mobile than an older M110 and have significantly faster set ups and pack ups before and after firing (usually faster than MLRS systems as well)

Or did you mean MLRS over normal artillery? In which case price, reload- ability, mobility etc still make them viable, a long with a larger selection of ammunition. (tracked or wheeled SPs are significantly more mobile than MLRS systems, on which note KRL122s have an underpowered chassis, I wonder if PA has thought about doing anything for it)
Armor forces are highly mobile, they are constantly moving, usually towards enemy, closing gap - how would range of howitzer help?

Armor forces are highly mobile, they are constantly moving, usually towards enemy, closing gap - how would range of howitzer help?
Range means more mobility options, even if the armor is moving towards the enemy, the further back the artillery is, the safer it is, the more terrain it can use and the farther it can retreat in case needed.

Let’s put it like this, the armored forces have pushed into enemy territory and you have two types of artillery pieces, one has a shorter range and hence you need to put it some 25KM behind your forces so they can engage effectively, another with a 50KM range can be stationed further back. Both have the same mobility. Now what if the terrain 50km behind the frontline is safer, has better ground, has better cover/concealment, is closer to your supply and communication lines. Has better AD coverage and less chance of enemy counter fire etc. in that case range definitely does matter, even when advancing with an armored column and using shoot and scoot tactics. It matters even more so in defensive situations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom