What's new

Artillery Divisions of Pakistan Army

Range means more mobility options, even if the armor is moving towards the enemy, the further back the artillery is, the safer it is, the more terrain it can use and the farther it can retreat in case needed.

Let’s put it like this, the armored forces have pushed into enemy territory and you have two types of artillery pieces, one has a shorter range and hence you need to put it some 25KM behind your forces so they can engage effectively, another with a 50KM range can be stationed further back. Both have the same mobility. Now what if the terrain 50km behind the frontline is safer, has better ground, has better cover/concealment, is closer to your supply and communication lines. Has better AD coverage and less chance of enemy counter fire etc. in that case range definitely does matter, even when advancing with an armored column and using shoot and scoot tactics. It matters even more so in defensive situations.
I think range is not the deciding factor when looking for an artillery piece. i do agree that M-110 is an old system however I wanted to read you views so I kept asking you to elaborate as you always have interesting views to share. The utility of M-110 is still there in my view depending how effectively an old system is used by exploiting enemy through M-110 strengths.

I think range is not the deciding factor when looking for an artillery piece. i do agree that M-110 is an old system however I wanted to read you views so I kept asking you to elaborate as you always have interesting views to share. The utility of M-110 is still there in my view depending how effectively an old system is used by exploiting enemy through M-110 strengths.
The main advantage of this piece is simply that its is self propelled. Being mobile, it is able to provide integral fire support for normal fire missions and counter battery fire for mobile armored or mechanized brigades. This way, there is no need for towed artillery to accompany the armor because nether they are mobile nor are protected from small arms fire. Moreover, SP artillery does not require that much time to deploy. These advantages make them ideal as well as necessary fire support pieces to accompany mobile elements in a highly fluid battle.

Dumb question : in modern day scenario how do you position your artillery assets for them too wok optimally and to avoid sabotage(mainly airstrikes)?

Shouldn't we disband these division level formation of Artillery and integrate them Infantry formation to better provide protection and firepower to infantry units? Towed at Battalion level, SP at Brigade level and MRLS and MBRL at division level?

Shouldn't we disband these division level formation of Artillery and integrate them Infantry formation to better provide protection and firepower to infantry units? Towed at Battalion level, SP at Brigade level and MRLS and MBRL at division level?
What if a regiment/bde is in a less threatened sector than the other?

It would be an utter underutilization of very expensive assets.

From a planning perspective, it makes no sense. Usually when operations are planned, artillery fire support for armour and infantry is catered to as needed. Depending on the need, regimental, brigade level or even a divisional artillery groups (multiple artillery guns from across multiple units) is incorporated in the fire plan to be undertaken. As an example, our strike corps would have the benefit of divisional artillery at their disposal as needed. Why take this away and distribute and take away from the aggregated power potential of artillery fire?

The main advantage of this piece is simply that its is self propelled. Being mobile, it is able to provide integral fire support for normal fire missions and counter battery fire for mobile armored or mechanized brigades. This way, there is no need for towed artillery to accompany the armor because nether they are mobile nor are protected from small arms fire. Moreover, SP artillery does not require that much time to deploy. These advantages make them ideal as well as necessary fire support pieces to accompany mobile elements in a highly fluid battle.
I saw these 8 inch guns firing a few times. It is an unforgettable experience.

Those on the receiving end have my sympathies. Maj Gen Shaukat Reza wrote about the 8-inch towed versions being used in the 1965 war against some Indian armor formations (cannot recall where) and the rounds from these guns overturned a couple of Indian tanks.

I think we are probably the only army using both the towed and SP versions of this gun now.

Last edited:
1657601041404.png

1657601055936.png

1657601074602.png

1657601089086.png

Pakistan should turn its Fatah system into something similar like this.

@PanzerKiel

Aren't these both Artillery Divisions converted into Strategic Forces?

Are there any non strategic Artillery Division/s in Army right now?

Aren't these both Artillery Divisions converted into Strategic Forces?

Are there any non strategic Artillery Division/s in Army right now?
By that count, we have more than five strategic and non strategic artillery divisions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom