What's new

Artillery Divisions of Pakistan Army

Gryphon

Reaction score
We have dedicated threads for Pakistan Army Infantry Div's, Armoured Div's and Mechanized Div's. Here I have created one for Artillery Div's.

Raising history: Large-scale exercises code-named Zarb-e-Momin (1989) conducted by Pakistan Army in response to Operation Brasstacks helped develop its offensive-defense strategy or Doctrine of the Riposte. Assessments completed after the exercise noted that for the Strike Corps to make a significant breakthrough in the north, Artillery concentrations with adequate logistics were essential. This led to the raising of 2 Artillery Division in the 1990s, subordinate HQ 1 Strike Corps.

In the south, 21 Artillery Division came into existence in the late 2000's. This was placed under HQ 5 Corps and tasked to repel enemy offensives with massive artillery firepower.

Current chain of command: Currently, 2 and 21 Artillery Divisions are subordinate to Central and Southern command respectively with the regional command HQ at liberty to assign the formation to any corps - strike and/or holding. The Div's GOC is a two-star general from Arty.

Structure: In PA, Artillery Divisions have a three brigade structure as summarized below:

1st Artillery Brigade: 1x Heavy Regiment (203mm towed) + 2x Medium Regiment (155/130mm towed) + 1x Field Regiment (122/105mm towed)

2nd Artillery Brigade: 3x Medium Regiment (155/130mm towed) + 1x Field Regiment (122/105mm towed)

3rd Artillery Brigade: 2x SP Heavy Regiment (203mm SP) + 1x SP Medium Regiment (155mm SP) + 1x Medium Regiment (155/130mm towed)

Side note: As may be required, the 3rd Artillery Brigade (being SP mostly) can be detached from the Arty Division and used to support Strike Corps operations.

NOWO9iQ.png

M110A2 203mm self-propelled howitzer with insignia of 21 Artillery Division during Pakistan Day Parade

In addition to 3x Artillery Brigades, there is the divisional artillery component directly under GOC consisting of:
  • 1x MLRS Regiment (300mm A-100)
  • 1x MBRL Regiment (122mm KRL 122)
  • 1 x Locating Regiment (SLC-2 radars and UAVs)
The brigades and the divisional artillery component each have 1x Meteorological and Survey Battery attached.

The Arty division also includes support units like Signals, Engineers, Supply & Transport, Medical, EME, Ordnance, MP, etc.

Involvement in War on Terror: Units and brigades from Artillery Divisions have actively fought in War on Terror in KPK incl. ex-FATA. Some may be surprised to know that even SP Medium Regiments with M109s have served terms on the western border.

zeVW4Tj.jpg

Pakistan Army Artillery - striving to be true to its motto of Izzat-O-Iqbal

by: Gryphon
Corrections, if any, are appreciated.

We have dedicated threads for Pakistan Army Infantry Div's, Armoured Div's and Mechanized Div's. Here I have created one for Artillery Div's.

Raising history: Large-scale exercises code-named Zarb-e-Momin (1989) conducted by Pakistan Army in response to Operation Brasstacks helped develop its offensive-defense strategy or Doctrine of the Riposte. Assessments completed after the exercise noted that for the Strike Corps to make a significant breakthrough in the north, Artillery concentrations with adequate logistics were essential. This led to the raising of 2 Artillery Division in the 1990s, subordinate HQ 1 Strike Corps.

In the south, 21 Artillery Division came into existence in the late 2000's. This was placed under HQ 5 Corps and tasked to repel enemy offensives with massive artillery firepower.

Current chain of command: Currently, 2 and 21 Artillery Divisions are subordinate to Central and Southern command respectively with the regional command HQ at liberty to assign the formation to any corps - strike and/or holding. The Div's GOC is a two-star general from Arty.

Structure: In PA, Artillery Divisions have a three brigade structure as summarized below:

1st Artillery Brigade: 1x Heavy Regiment (203mm towed) + 2x Medium Regiment (155/130mm towed) + 1x Field Regiment (122/105mm towed)

2nd Artillery Brigade: 3x Medium Regiment (155/130mm towed) + 1x Field Regiment (122/105mm towed)

3rd Artillery Brigade: 2x SP Heavy Regiment (203mm SP) + 1x SP Medium Regiment (155mm SP) + 1x Medium Regiment (155/130mm towed)

Side note: As may be required, the 3rd Artillery Brigade (being SP mostly) can be detached from the Arty Division and used to support Strike Corps operations.

NOWO9iQ.png

M110A2 203mm self-propelled howitzer with insignia of 21 Artillery Division during Pakistan Day Parade

In addition to 3x Artillery Brigades, there is the divisional artillery component directly under GOC consisting of:
  • 1x MLRS Regiment (300mm A-100)
  • 1x MBRL Regiment (122mm KRL 122)
  • 1 x Locating Regiment (SLC-2 radars and UAVs)
The brigades and the divisional artillery component each have 1x Meteorological and Survey Battery attached.

The Arty division also includes support units like Signals, Engineers, Supply & Transport, Medical, EME, Ordnance, MP, etc.

Involvement in War on Terror: Units and brigades from Artillery Divisions have actively fought in War on Terror in KPK incl. ex-FATA. Some may be surprised to know that even SP Medium Regiments with M109s have served terms on the western border.

zeVW4Tj.jpg

Pakistan Army Artillery - striving to be true to its motto of Izzat-O-Iqbal

by: Gryphon
Corrections, if any, are appreciated.

Some questions.

How many guns are usually in 203 mm regiments. 12 or 18?

What about 155 mm SP ones. 12 or 18?

What about MLRS? How many trucks per regt?

Just wanted to sum up assets at disposal to each division for my orbat day dreaming.

Pakistan Army loves this Giant tracked howitzer ,each pounding the enemy with a 203 mm (8 inch)artillery shell. Many nations have surplus stocks of them ready to be deposed. Turkey and Egypt are one of them, i specially like the Turkish models.

These things aren’t secret though, common knowledge. It’s available online. No one will say any sensitive stuff anyways.
information about orbat should not be shared on open forums. i am glad that information given above is inaccurate.
Yes MLRS are under artillery. All kinds of rockets and missiles are.
18 guns per regiments for 155, both towed and SPs. Can’t say about the 203s.

isn't it about time to phase out M110?
The 203s are still relevant for Pakistan, we have even older ones in stock. They’re still guns capable of firing a huge projectile, say past the LOC, to a pretty long range with high accuracy. No need to phase them out.

I was intentionally not posting Artillery thread :P hehehe, but its great that you posted.

information about orbat should not be shared on open forums. i am glad that information given above is inaccurate.
Mixture of accurate info with inaccuracy is alright on open forums. Wiki reference can be given so people don't take info seriously to the heart. Posting style can also mix up info. Most members like to read numbers, not tech details.

isn't it about time to phase out M110?

Not even close!

Its SP, and the huge projectile it fires can absolutely decimate enemy bunkers. Check for surplus, PA may add more 8-)

Some questions.

How many guns are usually in 203 mm regiments. 12 or 18?

What about 155 mm SP ones. 12 or 18?

What about MLRS? How many trucks per regt?

Just wanted to sum up assets at disposal to each division for my orbat day dreaming.

12 in SP Heavy & MLRS/MBRL Regiments.

18 in SP Medium Regiments.

Does MRLS comes under Artillery Divisions ?

Yes.

I was intentionally not posting Artillery thread :P hehehe, but its great that you posted.

Why? I even asked you once.

@Gryphon @Signalian

Pals, too much info is being released in such threads. :fie:

Relax, nothing classified in here. :p:

Nuke assets and Artillery are very close in nature.

For nuclear, there is a separate chain of command: HQ ASFC > Strategic Forces > Strategic Missile Groups > Missile Regiments.

Last edited:
fun fact: the mortars regiment were once also part of the artillery. I think after 2005, all of them were converted to either field of medium regiments and the mortars were handed over to the infantry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom