What's new

Afghan troops kill 100 Taliban during 5-day battle in Helmand

It has always been so, the brits and americans failed to beat the Taliban, and now ANSF have to finish the job.

I think the lesson learned over and over around the world is that it is hard to use force to "defeat" an enemy that wears no uniform, and retreats into civilian camouflage instead of fighting. Taking away the motivation and providing alternatives for young males is needed as well as military action.

Tha tajiks of ANA are doing genocide gainst pashtuns in helmand afghanistan and labeling them as taliban.

Last edited:
This thread is not about how many Pakistan killed but rather how many Afghanistan killed.
Yes it is. However since you contested the claim of 100 killed in 5 days as being an exaggerated claim, I am simply pointing it out to you that it is not an impossible statistics, since Pakistan itself has claimed to kill a higher number of terrorists in the same span of time.

PS: I understand you unease in continuing this line of reasoning ;)

Just asking, do these terrorists come from somewhere else or reside in Afghanistan itself?
Western and Pakistani media reports have indicated that significant numbers of the Taliban (Haqqani, Gul Bahadur, TTP) moved into Afghanistan prior to the start of the Zarb-e-Azb military offensive, that would suggest that the Taliban carrying out attacks within Afghanistan have a significant enough support base within Afghanistan to hide and survive.

Yes it is. However since you contested the claim of 100 killed in 5 days as being an exaggerated claim, I am simply pointing it out to you that it is not an impossible statistics, since Pakistan itself has claimed to kill a higher number of terrorists in the same span of time.
A large percentage of the total casualties inflicted by the Pakistani military on the Taliban/IMU occurred during the first few airstrikes (140 dead, mostly uzbeks). The Afghans have neither the air force resources nor the combat experience for favorable comparisons to be drawn with the PA/PAF.

Great job, we must eliminate all terrorists at all costs.

AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

More than 800 Taliban insurgents have launched a major offensive in southern Afghanistan to try to gain territory recently vacated by US troops, officials said Wednesday, with 40 civilians killed in five days of fighting.

About 100 Taliban have been killed, according to the interior ministry, in clashes that erupted as Afghanistan wrestled with a political crisis over alleged fraud in the June 14 election to choose a successor to President Hamid Karzai.

Local officials in Helmand province said that 800 militants were involved in attacks centred on the Sangin district of Helmand province, a hotbed of fighting during the 13-year insurgency.

The last US troops pulled out of Sangin only last month, handing over their remaining bases to Afghan soldiers and police who have now taken over responsibility for tackling the fierce Taliban insurgency.

"About 800 fighters started to storm four districts of Helmand last Thursday night," Helmand provincial governor spokesman Omar Zwak told AFP.

"At least 21 Afghan forces have died and close to 40 civilians were killed."

A government official in Kabul confirmed the figure of 800 Taliban.

Zwak said reinforcements had been sent to repel the attacks in Sangin, Nowzad, Kajaki and Musa Qala districts, where 2,000 families have fled the violence.

Interior ministry spokesman Siddiq Siddiqi told AFP: "There was a major attack by the Taliban and their supporters.

"We are reinforcing Afghan national security forces and have suffered no major loss of territory. About 100 Taliban have been killed so far."

The Himalayan Times : Afghan troops kill 100 Taliban during 5-day battle in Helmand - Detail News : Nepal News Portal

Western and Pakistani media reports have indicated that significant numbers of the Taliban (Haqqani, Gul Bahadur, TTP) moved into Afghanistan prior to the start of the Zarb-e-Azb military offensive, that would suggest that the Taliban carrying out attacks within Afghanistan have a significant enough support base within Afghanistan to hide and survive.

A large percentage of the total casualties inflicted by the Pakistani military on the Taliban/IMU occurred during the first few airstrikes (140 dead, mostly uzbeks). The Afghans have neither the air force resources nor the combat experience for favorable comparisons to be drawn with the PA/PAF.
Welcome back :)

True, but they have the advantage of being in an eyeball to eyeball fight with the Taliban which Pakistan is not at the time since there are no large scale battles happening in NW yet

True, but they have the advantage of being in an eyeball to eyeball fight with the Taliban which Pakistan is not at the time since there are no large scale battles happening in NW yet
I doubt there will be any large scale battles in NW - the TTP buggered out of SW when the PA deployed there, carrying out small scale hit and run attacks. The reports indicating that the rats have moved out of NW into Afghanistan strongly support the assessment that PA ground troops are not going to meet significant resistance, but only time will tell.

Swat and Bajaur were probably the toughest campaigns in terms of going up against a very well entrenched enemy that actually attempted to hold ground in some fashion.

I doubt there will be any large scale battles in NW - the TTP buggered out of SW when the PA deployed there, carrying out small scale hit and run attacks. The reports indicating that the rats have moved out of NW into Afghanistan strongly support the assessment that PA ground troops are not going to meet significant resistance, but only time will tell.

Swat and Bajaur were probably the toughest campaigns in terms of going up against a very well entrenched enemy that actually attempted to hold ground in some fashion.
So you agree to what I said.

btw, welcome back. Are you back for good ?

Well for the matter of holding ground, then we can only hope that no French training was included :D

lol....that was a wink to the Americans for sure...lol.....the poor French...hahahaha....

What a terrible span of events Helmand has endured in recent years.

Yet a couple of months back, a brutal mud-slide in far northern Badakhshan prompted people in Helmand to forego their wages in helping out their brethren up north.

Last edited:

Long time brother. Kahan tha app.

On topic he is merely trolling AM and wants to derail the thread something Indians are well known off.

Long time brother. Kahan tha app.

On topic he is merely trolling AM and wants to derail the thread something Indians are well known off.
Anyone not agreeing to the Pakistani POV is derailing the thread ? :lol:

Anyone not agreeing to the Pakistani POV is derailing the thread ? :lol:

I dont know what you are referring to as a Pakistani POV since i never gave any but only asked to refrain from derailing the thread.:rolleyes:

I asked for another source which he gave it to me and thats about it, neither i disputed the claim nor challenged it, it was only you who insists otherwise. And this is trolling.

Back
Top Bottom