What's new

A women-only market in AJK provides way around conservative beliefs

Read the OP, re-read it, then re-read it again. Then correlate it with law and order in your country, be realistic, then comment.

Thank You

I have sir ... and after thinking it over ... I came to the conclusion that I did ...
I'm not assuming anything, you and your friend have jumped on the anti-feminist band wagon, without fully understanding ground realities, and the issue at hand.

The issue here is of women empowerment, of how to provide jobs for women in a safe environment, keeping in mind the conservative nature of that particular segment of rural society.

Law and Order issues do not get solved over night, but what is the interim solution? Abandon these women?

13 shops, that double as a women's shelter for battered women, is what has gotten you two going nuts, and screaming anti-feminism?

Shame on both of you! I thought only your neighbors were capable of such retarded comments, but you two have really disappointed me.

So saying that "not every man is a domestic abuser/sexual predator and the assumption of that is absurd" is a "retarded comment" .... Let me tell you what's retarded ... the over reliance of "interim solutions" because such "interim solutions" are put in place with the assumption that they have no negative effect what so ever in the grand scheme of things .. correct? ...

Wrong! there is this one fine 77 year old lady by the name of Erin Pizzey in the United Kingdom. You might have not heard her name ... but she has to her credit the first domestic violence shelter in the modern world. She should be a legit women empowerment hero right ?
Not exactly ... women empowerment groups/ feminist groups ... heck even the same trust she started disowned her ... when she started saying that her research shows that domestic violence is not a one way street and that women commit violence too and that partner violence is mostly reciprocal

Suddenly the woman who introduced this concept of domestic violence shelters to the modern world was threatened to the point that she had to go in to exile ... and the only reason that happened ... was that ... respected folks like you ... who were in their mind doing the right thing by " helping those poor women" through such "interim solutions" ... didn't consider that demonizing people simply based on gender is rather idiotic for a "solution" .... interim or otherwise ...

We really need to reduce this needless divide between two group male / female , it is rediculous people are created so they can communicate and live side by side with each other. This constant demand for segregation has to be reduced

Not fan of segregation of people based on gender it makes communication difficult

:tdown:

We really need to reduce this needless divide between two group male / female , it is rediculous people are created so they can communicate and live side by side with each other. This constant demand for segregation has to be reduced

Not fan of segregation of people based on gender it makes communication difficult

:tdown:

Live like normal people and jail the men who cause trouble.

This segregation mindset just makes things hard , becasue it creates two societies a society of women , and society of men and the groups don't talk or interact

Even in old age / time such segregation was not normal as people lived side by side

A women-only market in AJK provides way around conservative beliefs

583a9ccc5b755.jpg

Pakistani Kashmiri woman Sara Rasheed (L) sells border trim cloth to a customer at her shop in the women's market.— AFP
A narrow path winds through Kashmir's Valley of Pearls towards 13 tin-roofed shops hidden in a rickety row, a women-only market that doubles as a space for those seeking help against the violence of patriarchy.

The market, in a small village outside the main city of Rawalakot in a conservative corner of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, began simply as a place run by women for women.

There they could buy and sell sewing supplies, visit clothing boutiques or train as beauticians — a welcome outlet for many struggling with the restraints on women in the deeply traditional area.

583a9cdc884f0.jpg

Kashmiri women wait outside the office of social worker Nusrat Yousuf to discuss their social issues with her in the women's market.—AFP

Social worker Nusrat Yousuf, who works with victims of domestic violence through the non-governmental organisation (NGO) she heads, helped persuade a generous landlord to provide the land to set up the market in 2011.

Women in the area, she says, are forbidden by their families to work in the main markets in the area's towns and cities.

"They become frustrated when they can't get jobs and spend their lives at home," the 48-year-old widow tells AFP.

The market, from which men were at first banned, provided a way around conservative beliefs, making women "economically strong".

583a9cd8403f3.jpg

Kashmiri women select ornaments from a shop in the women's market.—AFP

Yousuf describes it as a place "where they can visit and freely discuss all their issues — such as childbirth, menstruation, cooking, and domestic issues, and we find solutions".

From talking to fighting
That increasingly includes how to help divorced women and victims of domestic violence lodge complaints with police and fight their cases in the courts.

583a9ccde4926.jpg

Kashmiri social worker Nusrat Yousuf (L) listens to the social issues of women at her office in the women's market—AFP

Women have battled for their rights for decades in Pakistan. Hundreds are murdered each year — usually by male relatives — in so-called 'honour killings' and disfiguring acid attacks are still common.

Rights groups and politicians have for years called for tougher laws to tackle perpetrators of violence against women in Pakistan.

"Police were not arresting an influential man who cut off the nose of his wife three months ago," she says, describing just one of the cases she has handled from her office in the market.

"She approached us, and our NGO staged a protest against police," Yousuf explains, adding that she then met with police officials and lodged a complaint.

"Now the culprit is in police custody. We have hired a female lawyer to fight the case." she says.

583a9cdf90a9f.jpg

Kashmiri girls stitching cloth during their class in the women's market.—AFP

Razia Bibi, a 35-year-old mother of two whose husband divorced her five months ago, described how Yousuf is helping her navigate the courts to seek alimony from her children's father.

"I am hopeful that the verdict will be in my favour," she says.

Yousuf says her NGO, the Pearl Rural Support Programme, which brings together women's organisations in seven local villages, is also lobbying the government for a separate desk for women at every police station, where they can speak to a female officer "more comfortably".

Businesswomen
Yousuf says that, originally, men were banned from entering the market. Now they can enter — but only in the company of a woman.

The market has made life easier, says customer Ayesha Bibi.

"We had to travel to the main markets for such things in the past, and we needed the company of a male family member to go there," she explains.

It is also providing economic opportunity for those such as computer graduate Sara Rasheed, whose family refused her permission to work in any area dominated by men.

583a9ce7c5d00.jpg

Kashmiri girls cut cloth during their class in the women's market.—AFP

She convinced them to allow her to open a beauty parlour and a garment shop in the market, she says.

"I am earning a good income and saving lots of money for my future and family," she adds proudly.

Khurshid Begum, a 42-year-old widow and mother of four, opened a tailor's shop and teaches sewing to young girls there.

"My business has flourished... My income has increased," she says.

"We are trying to make more and more women skillful in future," Yousuf says. "I am very happy that I am achieving my goal."

Thanks for sharing.

If its helps the women folk, its a great initiative.

I have sir ... and after thinking it over ... I came to the conclusion that I did ...

So saying that "not every man is a domestic abuser/sexual predator and the assumption of that is absurd" is a "retarded comment" .... Let me tell you what's retarded ... the over reliance of "interim solutions" because such "interim solutions" are put in place with the assumption that they have no negative effect what so ever in the grand scheme of things .. correct? ...

Wrong! there is this one fine 77 year old lady by the name of Erin Pizzey in the United Kingdom. You might have not heard her name ... but she has to her credit the first domestic violence shelter in the modern world. She should be a legit women empowerment hero right ?
Not exactly ... women empowerment groups/ feminist groups ... heck even the same trust she started disowned her ... when she started saying that her research shows that domestic violence is not a one way street and that women commit violence too and that partner violence is mostly reciprocal

Suddenly the woman who introduced this concept of domestic violence shelters to the modern world was threatened to the point that she had to go in to exile ... and the only reason that happened ... was that ... respected folks like you ... who were in their mind doing the right thing by " helping those poor women" through such "interim solutions" ... didn't consider that demonizing people simply based on gender is rather idiotic for a "solution" .... interim or otherwise ...

You are simply not in touch with ground realities.

You are simply not in touch with ground realities.

I would disagree with that .. Women face problems .. Nobody denies that ...

The issue I have is the "interim solution" and what it implies ... i.e. "Every man is a predator" which is why the entrance to the market has restrictions for men ..

I've also quoted a relevant example of one Erin Pizzey who employed this solution .. rather .. she was the first one in the modern world to do so .. She should be hailed as a pioneer ... as a symbol for empowerment ... yet was and still is disowned by the very trust she founded because she raised her voice about men's issues ... You can see a plethora of statistics of male suicides, male victims of domestic violence yet even in the west ... if you talk on that issue and deviate from the line of "Women are victims and men are the perpetrators" ... Even if your someone that should be an icon ... your reduced to nothing ...

If this solution is acceptable and effective would you be comfortable applying it in a racial situation ..

Let's say a group of white people came together ... now all of these are victims of robbery, battery, assault etc. and they went ... "well the perpetrators in each our cases were black ... So what we're going to do is create a market place which will not allow black people to enter entirely ... and down the line we're going to allow black people if they are brought along by one of our white victim friends ..."

Would that fly as an interim solution ... after all ... the only difference is the basis of segregation ... in this case it was gender ... in my example its a race ... So if one's acceptable ... the other should be too right ?

Sir, this topic does have alot to do with feminism. The very reasons you cite to justify this effort prove it i.e. sexual harassment which is a very big issue in the feminist movement and the fact that men were actually banned in this market in the start but now can come if there is an accompanying woman. Somehow that reeks of feminism for me... I don't know about you though ...
Secondly, we are living in a society that is very cultural but is going through a phase of liberation where many western ideas are now being incorporated.....But the idea of a safe space amidst all the feminist rhetoric of we're equal/we're strong etc. etc...... really ?

Let's not forget what the basic assumption of this action is ... i.e. that

"men like you and me ... our sons and fathers are inherently rape-y"

In my simple mind ... Here is the way to deal with a crime --- enforce the law .... instead of grouping "potential victims" and giving them a "safe space" ...
what exactly is feminism?

Back
Top Bottom