What's new

5 Largest Ethnic Groups in Pakistan

I am from no 4 but it means nothing to me its just an identity nothing more
Seems like there are more than few Sheikh's on this forum. Although it has never meant anything to me and I usually avoid writing caste in my name but I also find nothing wrong in being proud of your heritage, if anybody wants to explicitly mention it, its entirely up to him

Like the Prophet said, you are no superior to black or white.... and I believe it is only the deeds that will be counted

wo largest ethnic groups in Pakistan are Punjabi and pathan
i think u need to ponder what punjab is... "Land of five rivers" .. it is strictly related to region not with ethnicity.....
whereas Pathan "Pakhtoon" is a race..

i think u need to ponder what punjab is... "Land of five rivers" .. it is strictly related to region not with ethnicity.....
whereas Pathan "Pakhtoon" is a race.
no sir punjabi is also a race its the southern seraikis who are not punjabis
most of punjabis in punjab are punjabis only
their caste what you called tribe or clan is different still punjabis are punjabis

All had differing reasons

If you are not comfortable that is ok. I was only curious what could be the reason and what was the time period as a fellow with similar back ground.

My forefathers decided to leave Sindh when the Hindu kingdoms fell and lost the patronage of the new Islamic rulers who decided to replace the administrators.

But this was over 1000 years ago. Now coming to Sheikh Abdullah's family they converted to Islam in 1722.

The most important source of Sheikh Abdullah's early life is his official autobiography Atish e Chinar.[5] He was born in Soura, a village on the outskirts of Srinagar, eleven days after the death of his father Sheikh Mohammed Ibrahim. His father was a middle class manufacturer and trader of Kashmiri shawls. He was a descendent of a Kashmiri pandit named Ragho Ram Kaul who converted to Islam in 1722 A.D. as per "Atish e Chinar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh_Abdullah#Early_life

Who was ruling Kashmir in 1722 ? Can't be Dogras

Dogra dynasty was a dynasty of Hindu Rajputs who ruled Jammu & Kashmir from 1846 to 1947. They traced their ancestry to the Ikshvaku (Solar) Dynasty of Northern India (the same clan in which Lord Rama was born; he, therefore, is the 'kuldevta' (family deity) of the Dogras).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogra#The_Royal_House_of_Jammu_and_Kashmir_.28Dogra_dynasty.29

Can't be Aurangzeb as he died in 1707

Abul Muzaffar Muhi-ud-Din Muhammad Aurangzeb (3 November 1618 – 3 March 1707),[1] commonly known as Aurangzeb Alamgir and by his imperial title Alamgir ("world conqueror" or "universe conqueror") and simply referred to as Aurangzeb was the sixth Mughal Emperor and ruled over most of the Indian subcontinent during some parts of his reign. His reign lasted for 49 years from 1658 until his death in 1707.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurangzeb

It could not have been Sikh empire either as they seemed to have made foray into Kashmir only in 1825.

Hari Singh Nalwa was Commander-in-Chief of the Sikh Khalsa Army from 1825 to 1837.[23] He is known for his role in the conquests of Kasur, Sialkot, Multan, Kashmir, Attock and Peshawar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh_Empire#Geography

So the conversion took place during the weakest period of the Mughal empire when it was collapsing.

Muslim monarchs ruled Kashmir, including the Mughals, who ruled from 1586 until 1751, and the Afghan Durrani Empire, which ruled from 1751 until 1820.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmir

This is the reason why it is so puzzling to me and I always wondered what may have been the reason.

Since the issue is related to conversion of Brahmins, the social dimension could be easily ruled out. So the reasons could be

1) Economic benefits

2) Security benefits

If you are not comfortable that is ok. I was only curious what could be the reason and what was the time period as a fellow with similar back ground.

My forefathers decided to leave Sindh when the Hindu kingdoms fell and lost the patronage of the new Islamic rulers who decided to replace the administrators.

But this was over 1000 years ago. Now coming to Sheikh Abdullah's family they converted to Islam in 1722.

The most important source of Sheikh Abdullah's early life is his official autobiography Atish e Chinar.[5] He was born in Soura, a village on the outskirts of Srinagar, eleven days after the death of his father Sheikh Mohammed Ibrahim. His father was a middle class manufacturer and trader of Kashmiri shawls. He was a descendent of a Kashmiri pandit named Ragho Ram Kaul who converted to Islam in 1722 A.D. as per "Atish e Chinar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh_Abdullah#Early_life

Who was ruling Kashmir in 1722 ? Can't be Dogras

Dogra dynasty was a dynasty of Hindu Rajputs who ruled Jammu & Kashmir from 1846 to 1947. They traced their ancestry to the Ikshvaku (Solar) Dynasty of Northern India (the same clan in which Lord Rama was born; he, therefore, is the 'kuldevta' (family deity) of the Dogras).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogra#The_Royal_House_of_Jammu_and_Kashmir_.28Dogra_dynasty.29

Can't be Aurangzeb as he died in 1707

Abul Muzaffar Muhi-ud-Din Muhammad Aurangzeb (3 November 1618 – 3 March 1707),[1] commonly known as Aurangzeb Alamgir and by his imperial title Alamgir ("world conqueror" or "universe conqueror") and simply referred to as Aurangzeb was the sixth Mughal Emperor and ruled over most of the Indian subcontinent during some parts of his reign. His reign lasted for 49 years from 1658 until his death in 1707.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurangzeb

It could not have been Sikh empire either as they seemed to have made foray into Kashmir only in 1825.

Hari Singh Nalwa was Commander-in-Chief of the Sikh Khalsa Army from 1825 to 1837.[23] He is known for his role in the conquests of Kasur, Sialkot, Multan, Kashmir, Attock and Peshawar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh_Empire#Geography

So the conversion took place during the weakest period of the Mughal empire when it was collapsing.

Muslim monarchs ruled Kashmir, including the Mughals, who ruled from 1586 until 1751, and the Afghan Durrani Empire, which ruled from 1751 until 1820.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmir

This is the reason why it is so puzzling to me and I always wondered what may have been the reason.

Since the issue is related to conversion of Brahmins, the social dimension could be easily ruled out. So the reasons could be

1) Economic benefits

2) Security benefits
Neither because conversion during Dogra era meant accepting a second class status muslims wrre second rate citizens during dogra raj even our murder carried less punishment as compared with Sikh or Pandit

His conversion was because of a Sufi he even had to leave his family who werent particularly thrilled by this conversion

I'm Jat.... Although it is suppose to be known as an upper cast in Pakistani Punjab to the people who still believe in cast system. and is the 2nd largest ethnic group in Pak as mentioned....but personally it means nothing for me.... I'm proud to be a Muslim only.....

the only thing i feel proud about my Jat cast is that.. Jat were the first converts to Islam after Arabs enterd sindh in seventh century...they were known as warrior tribes and they fought along with Muhammad bin Qasim against western non muslim Jats
Gen Raheel is also Kashmiri .... there are Rajput Kasmiris as well....... like Rajput Rathore etc.....
Source? wiki says this about COAS..
He belongs to a Rajput family[3][6][7] with roots inPunjab (in the town of Kunjah, Gujrat).[3]
I'm from Kunjah, Gujrat District..And as far as i know and according to the info provided by the locals and his relatives here.He is a Rajput Kashmiri , His family migrated here from Kashmir before partition in 1937.
Major Shabeer Sharif shaheed was born here and General Raheel sharif was born in Quetta after his family left Kunjah and were staying in Quetta.
Here in Gujrat,even rajput migrated from Kashmir often call themselve Rana Rajput.... becuase after migration from Kashmir, Kashmiri Rajput started marrying with local Rana Rajput & Shiekh Kashmiri people..... so they all got mixed up.But here in Kunjah General Raheel sharif is only known as Kashmiri Rajput by the locals ...He still have relaitives living here. who are shiekh kashmiri aswell.....and they still meet him ocassionaly.....

Last edited:
your info is wrong these tribes are ethnically all Punjabis and two largest ethnic groups in Pakistan are Punjabi and pathan

Yes, You are right. Punjabis are the largest ethnic group in Pakistan. And probably the largest ethnic group in the world without their own country.

There are more Punjabis in the world than Kurds
yes they lack unity
just what this article has pointed out
they are further divided by religion not by cast
Punjabi muslims
punjabi hindus
punjabi christians
punjabi sikhs

There are more Punjabis in the world than Kurds.
Pakistan has the worlds largest punjabi population
Pakistan has the world's largest Pathan populatin
Pakistan has the world's largest Baloch population
Pakistan has the world's largest sindhi population
Pakistan has the world's largest seraiki population
Pakistan has the world's largest shidi population
Pakistan has the world's largest Hazara population
etc etc etc
not counting minor ethnic groups like Kailash and shena

Hahaha Rajput is an Indian Hindu caste, Pakistani Rajputs are likely fake except Sindhis as Sindh borders Rajasthan. Majority of Pakistanis including myself are Dalit lower caste converts.
We seriously gotta do something bout these false-flaggers :disagree:

Metspalu2011PCA.png

Yes, You are right. Punjabis are the largest ethnic group in Pakistan. And probably the largest ethnic group in the world without their own country.
Punjabi isn't an ethnic group; "Punjab" is a geographic or cultural term.

That proves nothing my fellow Dalit, we Pakistanis are Dalit converts.
Well; my friend across the border - if you see clearly; you'll notice the genetic spread between Pakistani ethnic groups and low-caste Indians (dalits).

Your Brahmins are more related to Dalits than any other Pakistani ethnic group listed.

That proves nothing my fellow Dalit, we Pakistanis are Dalit converts.
Yeah and we should believe it just becuase a random person on an online forum PDF pretending to be a
Pakistani without any credible proof/refrence/source saying this.????
@mods attention needed here

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom