What's new

5 Largest Ethnic Groups in Pakistan

Why are so annoyed with your forefathers? They did not leave you any inheritance?:D

You could still comeback to the family like this.:D

Farooq%20Abdullah-Omar%20Abdullah-Sachin%20Pilot.jpg

Farooq Abdullah
Newly sworn-in Union minister for Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah along with his son and Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah and son-in-law Minister of State for Communications and IT Sachin Pilot poses for photograph soon after the swearing-in-ceremony of Union Council of Ministers by President of India Mrs Pratibha Patil, at Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi on May 28, 2009.
Do you have any idea about different laws for Hindus and Muslims in Dogra Kashmir?
We were second rate citizens consumption of beef carried the death oenalty and Muslim leaders were routinely taken out

Why are so annoyed with your forefathers? They did not leave you any inheritance?:D

You could still comeback to the family like this.:D

Farooq%20Abdullah-Omar%20Abdullah-Sachin%20Pilot.jpg

Farooq Abdullah
Newly sworn-in Union minister for Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah along with his son and Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah and son-in-law Minister of State for Communications and IT Sachin Pilot poses for photograph soon after the swearing-in-ceremony of Union Council of Ministers by President of India Mrs Pratibha Patil, at Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi on May 28, 2009.
Do you have any idea about different laws for Hindus and Muslims in Dogra Kashmir?
We were second rate citizens consumption of beef carried the death oenalty and Muslim leaders were routinely taken out

Interesting... I am equally curious why some Kashmiri pandits like Abdullahs and your family converted to Islam.

1: Pashtun People
33,000,000 +
(55,000,000+ including Pathans of Punjab)

image_20121125104321.jpg

Pashtuns speak Pashto language and follow Pashtunwali, which is a traditional set of ethics . The origin of Pashtuns is unclear but historians have come across references to various ancient peoples called Pakthas (Pactyans) between the 2nd and the 1st millennium BC, who may be their early ancestors. Often characterised as a warrior and martial race,
The Pashtun are said to be elegant, colorfully attired, hospitable, considerate, fierce in hatred, and kind in friendship. Though very dedicated to their religious beliefs, they are also fond of pleasure. They are known for their marksmanship and their love of honor.
2: Jat Tribe
32,000,000 +
4c578f84314748b4b48fbe4e0f60e706.png

The Jat People are a traditional agricultural community mostly found in Pakistan and North India. Originally pastoralists from the Sindh region of Pakistan; Jats migrated northwards during the late Medieval era and now hold a considerable influence in Punjab, they have also played an important part in the development of Sikhism. Jat people have a history of being brave and ready fighters. They are fiercely independent in character and value their self respect more than anything, which is why they offered heavy resistance against any foreign force that treated them unjustly. They are known for their pride, bravery and readiness to sacrifice their lives in battle for their people and kinsmen.
3: Rajput Tribe
17,000,000 +
34500f401532451db787e1a37cd754c9.png

The name Rajput is derived from the Sanskrit word rajaputra, meaning son of a ruler. The Rajputra constitutes a class of nobility. The origins of the Rajputs is a matter of constant debate, but many historians seem to agree they may have originated from the Hephthalites during their invasion of South Asia. The Rajputs have always been a fiercely independent people who were known for their vigorous resistance against foreign invaders. Many Rajputs converted to Islam through a series of marriage alliances with the Mughal Empire and efforts by Sufi missionaries. These Muslim Rajputs would eventually regain power in Sindh and form a long-lasting Dynasty. Rajputs today are recognized for their warrior heritage and strict loyalty towards kinsmen.
4: Shaikh Tribe
13,000,000 +
caeaaef62f4f473bbcaf262011f7ef32.png

'Sheikh' is an honorary Arabic title; common among lords, elders and Islamic scholars. Shaikh in South Asia however, is a tribe made up of 2 different groups. Islamic rule in South Asia attracted many technocrats, bureaucrats, soldiers, traders, scientists, architects, teachers, theologians and sufis who flocked from the rest of the Arab and Muslim world, to the Islamic Sultanate in South Asia and settled permanently; being among a higher status they were known as Shaikhs. The second group emerged after many high caste (Brahmins and Khatris) tribes converted to Islam and adopted the title to signify their status. Shaikhs today make up a significant portion of the Pakistani upper class and are often stereotyped as business acumen.

5: Arain Tribe
11,000,000 +

849d1dac2cfe4d4db6ddbf25a4f11c06.png

The Arains are an agricultural caste that over the years has reached the echelons of lawmakers and politicians. Arains claim to be descendants of Arab settlers brought by Muhammad Bin Qasim's invasion of Sindh; supported by the fact they populate the routes taken by Muhammad Bin Qasim's invasion. However some scholars link Arains with Persian and Rajput origins. The British favoured them for their "hard work, frugality and sense of discipline". Subsequent development of towns and cities and increasing urbanisation resulted in the value of the land settled by Arain to rise significantly, and Arain families thus flourished. Education was prioritised with the new-found wealth and the Arain came to dominate the legal profession amongst urban Punjabi Muslims. Many used law to enter politics.

Great I belong to the fourth one, didn't know Iqbal was a shaikh.

I am from no 4 but it means nothing to me its just an identity nothing more

If you are a Shaikh, then your ancestry potentially goes back to Sahabas, you should be proud if you have their blood in you.
Being proud of you race isn't bad, looking down on others is.

Great I belong to the fourth one, didn't know Iqbal was a shaikh.

If you are a Shaikh, then your ancestry potentially goes back to Sahabas, you should be proud if you have their blood in you.
Being proud of you race isn't bad, looking down on others is.
Not really Kashmiri Sheikhs are different people you see in the valley Sheikh was a title for any Brahmin who embraced Islam
I dont want to promote biradrism because it promotes stupid criteria for electibility and promotes superiority complex especially among Syed,s

Not really Kashmiri Sheikhs are different people you see in the valley Sheikh was a title for any Brahmin who embraced Islam
I dont want to promote biradrism because it promotes stupid criteria for electibility and promotes superiority complex especially among Syed,s

Understood.

1: Pashtun People
33,000,000 +
(55,000,000+ including Pathans of Punjab)

image_20121125104321.jpg

Pashtuns speak Pashto language and follow Pashtunwali, which is a traditional set of ethics . The origin of Pashtuns is unclear but historians have come across references to various ancient peoples called Pakthas (Pactyans) between the 2nd and the 1st millennium BC, who may be their early ancestors. Often characterised as a warrior and martial race,
The Pashtun are said to be elegant, colorfully attired, hospitable, considerate, fierce in hatred, and kind in friendship. Though very dedicated to their religious beliefs, they are also fond of pleasure. They are known for their marksmanship and their love of honor.
2: Jat Tribe
32,000,000 +
4c578f84314748b4b48fbe4e0f60e706.png

The Jat People are a traditional agricultural community mostly found in Pakistan and North India. Originally pastoralists from the Sindh region of Pakistan; Jats migrated northwards during the late Medieval era and now hold a considerable influence in Punjab, they have also played an important part in the development of Sikhism. Jat people have a history of being brave and ready fighters. They are fiercely independent in character and value their self respect more than anything, which is why they offered heavy resistance against any foreign force that treated them unjustly. They are known for their pride, bravery and readiness to sacrifice their lives in battle for their people and kinsmen.
3: Rajput Tribe
17,000,000 +
34500f401532451db787e1a37cd754c9.png

The name Rajput is derived from the Sanskrit word rajaputra, meaning son of a ruler. The Rajputra constitutes a class of nobility. The origins of the Rajputs is a matter of constant debate, but many historians seem to agree they may have originated from the Hephthalites during their invasion of South Asia. The Rajputs have always been a fiercely independent people who were known for their vigorous resistance against foreign invaders. Many Rajputs converted to Islam through a series of marriage alliances with the Mughal Empire and efforts by Sufi missionaries. These Muslim Rajputs would eventually regain power in Sindh and form a long-lasting Dynasty. Rajputs today are recognized for their warrior heritage and strict loyalty towards kinsmen.
4: Shaikh Tribe
13,000,000 +
caeaaef62f4f473bbcaf262011f7ef32.png

'Sheikh' is an honorary Arabic title; common among lords, elders and Islamic scholars. Shaikh in South Asia however, is a tribe made up of 2 different groups. Islamic rule in South Asia attracted many technocrats, bureaucrats, soldiers, traders, scientists, architects, teachers, theologians and sufis who flocked from the rest of the Arab and Muslim world, to the Islamic Sultanate in South Asia and settled permanently; being among a higher status they were known as Shaikhs. The second group emerged after many high caste (Brahmins and Khatris) tribes converted to Islam and adopted the title to signify their status. Shaikhs today make up a significant portion of the Pakistani upper class and are often stereotyped as business acumen.

5: Arain Tribe
11,000,000 +

849d1dac2cfe4d4db6ddbf25a4f11c06.png

The Arains are an agricultural caste that over the years has reached the echelons of lawmakers and politicians. Arains claim to be descendants of Arab settlers brought by Muhammad Bin Qasim's invasion of Sindh; supported by the fact they populate the routes taken by Muhammad Bin Qasim's invasion. However some scholars link Arains with Persian and Rajput origins. The British favoured them for their "hard work, frugality and sense of discipline". Subsequent development of towns and cities and increasing urbanisation resulted in the value of the land settled by Arain to rise significantly, and Arain families thus flourished. Education was prioritised with the new-found wealth and the Arain came to dominate the legal profession amongst urban Punjabi Muslims. Many used law to enter politics.
There are many many more. Soch hai aapki. :D

No Indian I've ever met knows anything about Kashmir under Dogra rule, even the ones who claim to be Kashmiri. Several people on this forum also don't believe me when I say my maternal family is converted Kashmiri Brahmins and claimed there is no such thing.

No Indian I've ever met knows anything about Kashmir under Dogra rule, even the ones who claim to be Kashmiri. Several people on this forum also don't believe me when I say my maternal family is converted Kashmiri Brahmins and claimed there is no such thing.
They only know 3 lines
Hindus were forcefully con erted

Demographic change took place in Kashmir Azad Kashmir is Punjab :-\\

They only know 3 lines
Hindus were forcefully con erted

Demographic change took place in Kashmir Azad Kashmir is Punjab :-\\

Are you saying Kashmiri Brahmins converted to Islam because the then Dogra ruler prevented your forefathers from eating beef?

Awans, Ghakars, Baloch, Sindhi and many others you forgot bro.

Well since we are breaking down Punjabi people in to separate ethnic groups, here's mine:

"Awan (Urdu: اعوان‎), is a tribe living predominantly in northern, central, and western parts of Pakistani Punjab, with significant numbers also residing in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Azad Kashmir and to a lesser extent in Sindh and Balochistan.

People of the Awan community have a strong presence in the Pakistani Army
and have a strong martial tradition.[2]Christophe Jaffrelot says:

The Awan deserve close attention, because of their historical importance and, above all, because they settled in the west, right up to the edge of Baluchi and Pashtun territory. [Tribal] Legend has it that their origins go back to fourth caliph Hazrat Ali(R.A.) by his wife, Hanafiya. Historians describe them as valiant warriors and farmers who imposed their supremacy on their close kin the Janjuas in part of the Salt Range, and established large colonies all along the Indus to Sind, and a densely populated centre not far from Lahore.

Whereas Prof
Ahmad Hasan Dani claimed that the Awans were, in fact, indigenous to Northern Punjab, and might well be the ancientAbanii mentioned by Greek and Roman travelers and historians.

On a rural level, Awans historically were of the
zamindar or landowning classand many Awan families to this day live on and cultivate land, which their ancestors have held for centuries. They often carry titles typical to Punjabis who own tracts of ancestral land."
Contrary to what wiki says, Awans are not arabs.

@dadeechi Are there any Awans in India. I have never heard of any there.
u awan? :eek: :enjoy:

No offense but Jats and Rajput aren't a tribe, at least in India. These people don't refer to themselves as a tribe nor do they do tribal things.

I myself is a Indian Muslim JAT.......... we were and are not a tribe.. thanks.

Awans, Ghakars, Baloch, Sindhi and many others you forgot bro.

Ghakars are JATs in India......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom