What's new

1965 war with India was Pakistan's biggest blunder, says Ishtiaq Ahmed

He has disqualified himself by saying partition was a blunder. Anything else he says is invalid.
The failure to achieve a comprehensive population exchange between India and Pakistan can be considered a grave oversight, as it continues to generate challenges even today. The substantial presence of radicalized Muslim communities in India has further exacerbated the already strained relations between India and Pakistan. Instances of terrorism and derogatory rhetoric against the Hindu religion by certain segments of the Muslim population in India have fueled polarization among non-Muslim voters, leading to increased support for right-wing political parties. Given the association of Indian Muslims with Pakistan, which already has contentious relations with India, these right-wing parties, once in power, tend to view Pakistan through the lens of Indian Muslims as well. Consequently, this complex interplay of demographics, religious sentiments, and geopolitical tensions has contributed to the ongoing hostility between the two nations.

Stopped reading after this. Thanks but no thanks.

View attachment 936946
Ishtiaq Ahmed, Swedish political scientist and author of Pakistani descent who is on a visit to Bengaluru, speaks on a wide range of subjects in an interview with N B Hombal of DH. The Professor Emeritus of Political Science at Stockholm University gives his take on partition, Pakistan’s economy and how relations can be normalised between India and Pakistan. Excerpts:

How has been your India tour?

Fantastic. It’s been so good that I actually run the risk of forgetting names of people who have been kind to me, because I am meeting so many people and so many on the same day. It seems that I came here many, many moons ago, whereas I have been here since May 7.

What are your views on partition?

I strongly believed that partition was a blunder by many and its consequences have been devastating to the social understanding and building trust, which reflects in the politics of India and Pakistan. I am not too sure, but strongly hope that at some point, borders may disappear in this region too, like in the European Union.

What are the ways to help improve the relations?

Coming to India has greatly reinforced my belief that we people (peace lovers) will certainly isolate those who oppose these kind of activities (building relationships) in the years to come. I think both nations can take risks, allowing people from both sides to mingle with each other, by relaxing the present Visa regimes. This will greatly benefit Pakistan, as India has already proved that it can do without Pakistan.

Prior to the India visit, you had been to Pakistan. How do you analyse the socio-economic development of both countries.

India is doing good on most fronts, though it might be lagging in some areas. What India I have seen, it is progressing rapidly. On social parameters, women here are dressing freely, roaming around freely on motorbikes and public transport. But in Pakistan, it is still not the case, only the elite who can afford cars can roam around freely. But ordinary girls/women need to be very careful and always face hostile situations wherever they go. It is highly impossible for them to go out alone after 10 pm.

What is the biggest mistake Pakistan committed post-partition?

I think the 1965 war with India was in some ways responsible for what Pakistan is today
. Soon after partition, USA and World Bank invested heavily there, which helped the country achieve a certain degree of progress. But post the 1965 war with India, investment slowed down drastically. From then on, Pakistan was never able to recover economically. The textile industry, which was once flourishing, has now shifted to Bangladesh, where cotton is not even grown. Presently, the Pakistani economy is so bad that it can’t even raise a billion dollars to manage loans. It’s a failing state.

How can both countries handle the Kashmir issue?

Pakistan must abandon terrorism completely.
Only then both countries can come to terms for real peace. Both countries accepting Line of Control as international border might help resolve the issue.

What does the future holds for Wahhabism?

I don’t think Wahhabism has any future, as Saudi Arabia itself is doing all it can to end Wahhabism. Someone needs to tell them what the real story is. Perhaps Saudi Arabia has taken the first step towards this. Hopefully, others will follow. I only hope they don’t assassinate the Saudi crown prince who has begun the reform process. There must be forces working within to ensure he doesn’t succeed.

What is your opinion about Uniform Civil Code?

I strongly believe in UCC. I believe in equality and everyone to gain from the same laws.

and no follies of india?..

lol

try and put some balance if you are to have any credibility

Without a doubt, Pakistan made a series of blunders in 1965.

Pakistan had many better tanks, and weapons, including aircraft's with AA missiles, and submarine (India didn't)...

But ended with saving Lahore, a complete disaster by performance and tactical moves.

Without a doubt, Pakistan made a series of blunders in 1965.

Pakistan had many better tanks, and weapons, including aircraft's with AA missiles, and submarine (India didn't)...

But ended with saving Lahore, a complete disaster by performance and tactical moves.

It had to save Lahore,z because India was being hammered in Kashmir

If it continued India would have lost Kashmir or at least a significant portion of it

India attacked Lahore which was a heavily populated uncontested city simply to stop the hammering was receiving in Kashmir

Pakistan then had to defend Lahore which it successfully did and the war petered out

If you go by Indians fantasy realm history then India has never lost anything for a millennium

Hindus are fantasy driven,, and the fantasy bolster the Hindu ego

Take any event, give it a little time and Hindus will build a new narrative and history

That machod Shivaji is an example, if you look through his history, both he, his father, family etc were basically dick suckers to the mughals for the most part,, his daughters were married to Muslims, he had Muslims in major roles in his military

And you look at the reimagining history of the sanghis and the guy is some sort of fantasy Hindu superhero

You can't debate with a people this delusional
FzuN6D2WwAA8zgw.jpeg

And now you have tweets

See what I mean

In 1965 their was no logical reason to attack Lahore

Pakistan/India conflicts had just been about Kashmir up until then

There was no reason to attack any city,, not Pakistani or Indian

So ask yourself why??? Why would India need to attack Lahore?
It didn't happen before, so why then?

Because India was taking a beating in Kashmir, that's why,, India panicked, saw no way out and knew that if they targeted Lahore, Pakistan would be forced to redeploy resources and the war petered out

Everything else is propaganda and bullshit and fantasy

It's you who has been diverting itself from the original topic. By the way, you converted mussies are no match to the marathas and rajputs. They'd literally whoop your a** down the line
Then how did a million and one of your most important temples and religious sites get destroyed?

Were the mighty Hindu warriors of history having a day off

View attachment 936946
Ishtiaq Ahmed, Swedish political scientist and author of Pakistani descent who is on a visit to Bengaluru, speaks on a wide range of subjects in an interview with N B Hombal of DH. The Professor Emeritus of Political Science at Stockholm University gives his take on partition, Pakistan’s economy and how relations can be normalised between India and Pakistan. Excerpts:

How has been your India tour?

Fantastic. It’s been so good that I actually run the risk of forgetting names of people who have been kind to me, because I am meeting so many people and so many on the same day. It seems that I came here many, many moons ago, whereas I have been here since May 7.

What are your views on partition?

I strongly believed that partition was a blunder by many and its consequences have been devastating to the social understanding and building trust, which reflects in the politics of India and Pakistan. I am not too sure, but strongly hope that at some point, borders may disappear in this region too, like in the European Union.

What are the ways to help improve the relations?

Coming to India has greatly reinforced my belief that we people (peace lovers) will certainly isolate those who oppose these kind of activities (building relationships) in the years to come. I think both nations can take risks, allowing people from both sides to mingle with each other, by relaxing the present Visa regimes. This will greatly benefit Pakistan, as India has already proved that it can do without Pakistan.

Prior to the India visit, you had been to Pakistan. How do you analyse the socio-economic development of both countries.

India is doing good on most fronts, though it might be lagging in some areas. What India I have seen, it is progressing rapidly. On social parameters, women here are dressing freely, roaming around freely on motorbikes and public transport. But in Pakistan, it is still not the case, only the elite who can afford cars can roam around freely. But ordinary girls/women need to be very careful and always face hostile situations wherever they go. It is highly impossible for them to go out alone after 10 pm.

What is the biggest mistake Pakistan committed post-partition?

I think the 1965 war with India was in some ways responsible for what Pakistan is today
. Soon after partition, USA and World Bank invested heavily there, which helped the country achieve a certain degree of progress. But post the 1965 war with India, investment slowed down drastically. From then on, Pakistan was never able to recover economically. The textile industry, which was once flourishing, has now shifted to Bangladesh, where cotton is not even grown. Presently, the Pakistani economy is so bad that it can’t even raise a billion dollars to manage loans. It’s a failing state.

How can both countries handle the Kashmir issue?

Pakistan must abandon terrorism completely.
Only then both countries can come to terms for real peace. Both countries accepting Line of Control as international border might help resolve the issue.

What does the future holds for Wahhabism?

I don’t think Wahhabism has any future, as Saudi Arabia itself is doing all it can to end Wahhabism. Someone needs to tell them what the real story is. Perhaps Saudi Arabia has taken the first step towards this. Hopefully, others will follow. I only hope they don’t assassinate the Saudi crown prince who has begun the reform process. There must be forces working within to ensure he doesn’t succeed.

What is your opinion about Uniform Civil Code?

I strongly believe in UCC. I believe in equality and everyone to gain from the same laws.

Partition was the best thing which happened to India and hindus, it would have been better if all muslims had gone to pakistan. Even after 20 percent of muslims left in India we were in better condition than pakistan , pakistan oscillate between military and civil govt which hampered growth of pakistan , India remained democracy with visionary leaders who worked for the development plans .

It had to save Lahore,z because India was being hammered in Kashmir

If it continued India would have lost Kashmir or at least a significant portion of it

India attacked Lahore which was a heavily populated uncontested city simply to stop the hammering was receiving in Kashmir

Pakistan then had to defend Lahore which it successfully did and the war petered out

When Pakistan attacked on Kashmir... it was even as unprotected as Lahore. PAK army mobilized most of the units, to attack Kashmir.....

If it continued India would have lost Kashmir or at least a significant portion of it Very wrong assumption that you have it on it. ..... it could be, might be..... you can make the story on it

Overall, India gained more land compared to Pakistan before settling the war and further withdrawing.

Planners of pak army were behaving as present-day many PDF members do as they dream, as we will attack Kashmir and grab it.... Indian army is not capable.... blah blah blah,

I would rather say, India successfully defended Kashmir, by declaring that if you attack Kashmir, you will need to deal with at other borders as well. We are always ready to fight if you attack Kashmir.

From that day on, Pakistan never tried again till today

Pak did win wars but begged for Haji Pir, Pak won war with 93k POW, & yes Pak did a strategic withdrawal with a stragey that it didn't even claim back it's soldiers whom IA finally cremated
- This is wonderful example of the delusion which permeates through most of the Pakistanis, courtesy the stories & fables which are told to them by their army.
- Thats why most of them are in shock when the same army has turned on them (means, Punjabi Pakistanis)

What destruction are you talking about man? We're spreading our wings throughout the world
View attachment 937007

So your great Hindu warriors took 1000 year break

Then against a nation 7 times smaller in population,, you helped Bangla get partition which they would have done anyway as Pakistan had no ability or resources to keep that many people under control but did manage to pole axe millions of hindus thus ensuring Bangla remained a free Muslim state as per Partition

Most Hindus exist only in the overpopulated slum that is called India, population wise India represents about 99% of all hindus

Other countries allow a temple to be built for migrants to worship is not some great feat

When Pakistan attacked on Kashmir... it was even as unprotected as Lahore. PAK army mobilized most of the units, to attack Kashmir.....

If it continued India would have lost Kashmir or at least a significant portion of it Very wrong assumption that you have it on it. ..... it could be, might be..... you can make the story on it

Overall, India gained more land compared to Pakistan before settling the war and further withdrawing.

Planners of pak army were behaving as present-day many PDF members do as they dream, as we will attack Kashmir and grab it.... Indian army is not capable.... blah blah blah,

I would rather say, India successfully defended Kashmir, by declaring that if you attack Kashmir, you need to deal with at other borders as well. We are always ready to fight if you attack Kashmir.

From that day on, Pakistan never tried again till today

India was taking a hammering in Kashmir

It panicked and shamefully attacked a populated city

The war between two 3rd world countries petered out

Hindus with some fake magical history of India greatness is pitiful

Having lived throughout 2019 and 2020 two skirmishes which India lost

The CRAZY coping mechanisms of hindus is SHOCKING

Now think about that fantasy and coping mechanisms in action for events 50-60 years ago or even 1000

Then you have weird stories of Hindu bravery and kings and heros and no one can ever explain where we're these great kings and heros when so many of your most important temples were destroyed

So either history is obvious,, you took a beating
Or it's baffling Hindu cope

Last edited:
Pakis are religious zombies. That is why the country went bankrupt

Economy goes up and down

For the most part of our history, Pakistan has been ahead in most indicators compared to India

Even today I would say I have never seen in Pakistan the same level of pitiful poverty that is present in India

Nations continue to grow and change and Pakistan will continue also

We hate hindus their is no two ways around this,, Hinduism is a disgusting and worthless practice and the rise of hindutva has reaffirm that hatred and why Indian Muslims were always mistaken about India

Truth be told we don't give a monkeys *** about India or Hindus

All we ever wanted was a PROPER PARTITION

it was Indian or Hindu desperation to hold onto land with massive Muslim populations that led to the situation in Kashmir and other parts of India

rather then making that stupid goofy Hindu face and calling for mass GENOCIDE

partition India properly,, let Kashmir go free and allow Indian Muslims to have free states away from Hindu extremists

So your great Hindu warriors took 1000 year break

Then against a nation 7 times smaller in population,, you helped Bangla get partition which they would have done anyway as Pakistan had no ability or resources to keep that many people under control but did manage to pole axe millions of hindus thus ensuring Bangla remained a free Muslim state as per Partition

Most Hindus exist only in the overpopulated slum that is called India, population wise India represents about 99% of all hindus

Other countries allow a temple to be built for migrants to worship is not some great feat

India was taking a hammering in Kashmir

It panicked and shamefully attacked a populated city

The war between two 3rd world countries petered out

Hindus with some fake magical history of India greatness is pitiful

Having lived throughout 2019 and 2020 two skirmishes which India lost

The CRAZY coping mechanisms of hindus is SHOCKING

Now think about that fantasy and coping mechanisms in action for events 50-60 years ago or even 1000

Then you have weird stories of Hindu bravery and kings and heros and no one can ever explain where we're these great kings and heros when so many of your most important temples were destroyed

So either history is obvious,, you took a beating
Or it's baffling Hindu cope
2019 :lol:...... A very small incident is an achievement of pak army after the independence.... You people should declair a victory day, public holiday or something..

Israel beated to 7 country at the same time.... It doesn't matter what population is.... Matter is most about available resources.... Pakistan was having better technological advantages ( thanks to USA) over india during in 1965 war, but was unable to achieve anything..

Last edited:
2019 :lol:...... A very small incident is an achievement of pak army after the independence.... You people should declair a victory day, public holiday or something..

Israel beated to 7 country at the same time.... It doesn't matter what population is.... Matter is about available resources.... Pakistan was having better technological advantages ( thanks to USA) over india during in 1965 war, but was unable to achieve anything..

Yeah but if Indians had won either it would have been grand Hindu victory day

But you didn't

It wouldn't actually matter if it wasn't for Indians so desperate to live in a fantasy world and declare victory

And now you have tweets

See what I mean

In 1965 their was no logical reason to attack Lahore

Pakistan/India conflicts had just been about Kashmir up until then

There was no reason to attack any city,, not Pakistani or Indian

So ask yourself why??? Why would India need to attack Lahore?
It didn't happen before, so why then?

Because India was taking a beating in Kashmir, that's why,, India panicked, saw no way out and knew that if they targeted Lahore, Pakistan would be forced to redeploy resources and the war pet

So the attacker pakistan wanted enemy country India to follow some rules and logic in which pakistan believed ?
Was it some boxing match in which you are not allowed to attack below the belt ?
My dear it was a full fledged war imposed by pakistan , only a fool will not use war tactics to divert concentration of enemy army . It was foolish of the generals who thought Indian army will not attack lahore to save Kashmir .

Back
Top Bottom