What's new

Zardari to be next president

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

* PPP CEC to announce the decision tomorrow
* MQM to endorse decision, ANP, JUI-F, PML-Q forward bloc also likely to support PPP​

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), the major coalition partner in the federal government, has decided to nominate its Co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari as the next president of the country.

A source close to Zardari House told Daily Times that this decision had been taken by the top hierarchy of the PPP and the party’s Central Executive Committee (CEC) would formally announce the decision after its meeting on Friday (tomorrow).

“The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) will endorse and second the PPP CEC’s recommendation to nominate Asif Zardari as a presidential candidate,” the source said.

He said in return for its support to the PPP, the MQM would continue to hold the office of Sindh governor besides joining the coalition in the centre and accepting ministerial slots in the federal cabinet at a later stage.

It has also been learnt that the PPP expects the Awami National Party (ANP) and Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) to also support the PPP CEC’s recommendation.

The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), however, wants the next president from Balochistan or NWFP. But the PPP hierarchy insists that the top offices in the country are a right of the major political party.

A group of PPP parliamentarians in a meeting with Asif Zardari has also floated the proposal that he should be the president of the country. The PML-N, however, proposed the names of Sardar Attaullah Mengal, former chief justice Saeeduz Zaman Siddiqui and Fakhruddin G Ebrahim.

It may be remembered that Asif Zardari had also said a few months ago at the Punjab Governor’s House that the next president would be from the PPP.

Another source said the PPP was also in contact with members of the PML-Q forward bloc and these parliamentarians had a meting with the prime minister on Wednesday.

“In case the PML-N does not support Asif Zardari’s candidature, the PPP will have the support of the MQM, ANP, JUI-F, PML-Q forward bloc and some smaller parties in the centre and the provinces besides the FATA and independent members,” the source said.

The PPP and the PML-N have already developed serious differences on the issue of the sacked judges’ restoration to pre-November 3, 2007, position and indemnity to the acts of former president Pervez Musharraf.

According to the Constitution, the election to the office of the president, in case it falls vacant before the five-year tenure ends, has to be held within 30 days. Pervez Musharraf resigned on August 18 and the election for the next president would be held by September 17. The electoral college for the election of the president is the four provincial assemblies, National Assembly and the Senate.

KARACHI: MQM chief Altaf Hussain has proposed PPP Co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari as a candidate for the president. According to a press release from the MQM London secretariat on Wednesday, Altaf said Zardari needed to be appreciated for how he handled General (r) Musharraf’s impeachment issue. MQM’s Haider Rizvi told AP that his party wanted Zardari as president because of his past sacrifices and for how he handled Musharraf’s ousting.

LAHORE: It is the Pakistan People’s Party’s right to nominate Asif Ali Zardari as a presidential candidate but they will have to consult the coalition partners to get the nomination approved, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz said on Wednesday. Reacting to Zardari’s nomination as candidate for Presidency by the PPP, PML-N spokesman Siddiqul Farooq told Dawn News that his party’s principle stance was that the next president should be from a smaller province.

* PPP CEC to announce the decision tomorrow
* MQM to endorse decision, ANP, JUI-F, PML-Q forward bloc also likely to support PPP​

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), the major coalition partner in the federal government, has decided to nominate its Co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari as the next president of the country.

A source close to Zardari House told Daily Times that this decision had been taken by the top hierarchy of the PPP and the party’s Central Executive Committee (CEC) would formally announce the decision after its meeting on Friday (tomorrow).

“The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) will endorse and second the PPP CEC’s recommendation to nominate Asif Zardari as a presidential candidate,” the source said.

He said in return for its support to the PPP, the MQM would continue to hold the office of Sindh governor besides joining the coalition in the centre and accepting ministerial slots in the federal cabinet at a later stage.

It has also been learnt that the PPP expects the Awami National Party (ANP) and Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) to also support the PPP CEC’s recommendation.

The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), however, wants the next president from Balochistan or NWFP. But the PPP hierarchy insists that the top offices in the country are a right of the major political party.

A group of PPP parliamentarians in a meeting with Asif Zardari has also floated the proposal that he should be the president of the country. The PML-N, however, proposed the names of Sardar Attaullah Mengal, former chief justice Saeeduz Zaman Siddiqui and Fakhruddin G Ebrahim.

It may be remembered that Asif Zardari had also said a few months ago at the Punjab Governor’s House that the next president would be from the PPP.

Another source said the PPP was also in contact with members of the PML-Q forward bloc and these parliamentarians had a meting with the prime minister on Wednesday.

“In case the PML-N does not support Asif Zardari’s candidature, the PPP will have the support of the MQM, ANP, JUI-F, PML-Q forward bloc and some smaller parties in the centre and the provinces besides the FATA and independent members,” the source said.

The PPP and the PML-N have already developed serious differences on the issue of the sacked judges’ restoration to pre-November 3, 2007, position and indemnity to the acts of former president Pervez Musharraf.

According to the Constitution, the election to the office of the president, in case it falls vacant before the five-year tenure ends, has to be held within 30 days. Pervez Musharraf resigned on August 18 and the election for the next president would be held by September 17. The electoral college for the election of the president is the four provincial assemblies, National Assembly and the Senate.

this is a potential head-on clash with the army!

I disagree. The Army should not intervene and allow the moron to take up the post. He will himself autodistruct, if he does not manage things correctly. The Army has stood by the political setup so far and will continue to do so.
Another thing that comes to mind keeping in view his previous antics, is that these "rumours" are circulated before hand to test the water. If the response is adverse, that he will come out and deny this , otherwise " on great public demand" he will assume the post.
It is said "set a thief to catch a thief". With Zardari in power, the biggest thief may prevent other thieves from their heinous acts to destabilize pakistan. The public will decide Zardari's fate . If he performs, then the government will go on, otherwise, he will have no one else to blame for the debacle. Eitherway it would be good for Pakistan to know his intentions fully .
Araz

Sir,

Though I agree with you I'd hate to see him take the country down to abyss the way it was done in the 90's by Bibi and Gangju. :cry:
I'd rather see re-elections or a Martial Law, anything but this.

Sir,

Though I agree with you I'd hate to see him take the country down to abyss the way it was done in the 90's by Bibi and Gangju. :cry:

Neo, I'm with you..:cry::cry:

Sir,

Neo,

Ganja was and is horrible, and I shudder to think of the sort of government he would usher in given the chance, with the Taliban on the rampage and little public support for confronting them.

Given the prevalence of 'personality politics' in Pakistan, do we need a counter to him in the form of Zardari?

Zardari, even if he is in the back pocket of the US, seems committed to fight terrorism, and has shown some political maturity (while also making some major gaffes such as the ISI move) in building a coalition that includes pragmatic and liberal parties such as the ANP, MQM and JUI-F (Mullah diesel is pragmatic if nothign else, and not necessarily impressed with the way the Taliban mopvement has gone).

To get Altaf Hussein to endorse him, after the violent relationship these parties have had, may be a sign of political stability in our economic center, and could perhaps solidify the political landscape into two groups - the liberal PPP led block of parties and the conservative PML-N led group, allied more with the religious JI and other Islamists.

Interesting and turbulent times no doubt.

Neo,

Ganja was and is horrible, and I shudder to think of the sort of government he would usher in given the chance, with the Taliban on the rampage and little public support for confronting them.

Given the prevalence of 'personality politics' in Pakistan, do we need a counter to him in the form of Zardari?

Zardari, even if he is in the back pocket of the US, seems committed to fight terrorism, and has shown some political maturity (while also making some major gaffes such as the ISI move) in building a coalition that includes pragmatic and liberal parties such as the ANP, MQM and JUI-F (Mullah diesel is pragmatic if nothign else, and not necessarily impressed with the way the Taliban mopvement has gone).

To get Altaf Hussein to endorse him, after the violent relationship these parties have had, may be a sign of political stability in our economic center, and could perhaps solidify the political landscape into two groups - the liberal PPP led block of parties and the conservative PML-N led group, allied more with the religious JI and other Islamists.

Interesting and turbulent times no doubt.

Zardari is no radical. But he is corrupt. Either will bring Pakistan down. Combine with NS, a radical and a thief in power..It's all on a road to self destruction. The Army needs to just watch it fall to give the people a lesson on these civilian politicians.

Perhaps just before Pakistan balkanizes they can take over, and again bring Pakistan back from the abyss. Either way, I wouldn't count on the people to do the right thing next election. Pakistan needs permanent martial law.

On the military getting involved if someone they do not 'approve of' comes into play. I don't think that it would be good idea for the Army to try and influence the selection of a candidate in any case.

It woudl be naive to think that any candidate from the PPP that Zardari approves of would not do Zardari's bidding, so if the Army interferes and prevents Zardari from becoming president, then it destroys all of Gen. Kiyanis work in keeping the Army depoliticized. Such a move reinforces the distrust the politicians have for the military, and refocuses them on finding ways to influence it and strengthen their positions and lays the stage for interference in military affairs later on (which may still happen, but why ensure it?).

As RR suggested though, if we do find ourselves at the 'abyss', there may be no choice but to intervene.

On the military getting involved if someone they do not 'approve of' comes into play. I don't think that it would be good idea for the Army to try and influence the selection of a candidate in any case.

It woudl be naive to think that any candidate from the PPP that Zardari approves of would not do Zardari's bidding, so if the Army interferes and prevents Zardari from becoming president, then it destroys all of Gen. Kiyanis work in keeping the Army depoliticized. Such a move reinforces the distrust the politicians have for the military, and refocuses them on finding ways to influence it and strengthen their positions and lays the stage for interference in military affairs later on (which may still happen, but why ensure it?).

As RR suggested though, if we do find ourselves at the 'abyss', there may be no choice but to intervene.

they say a cat has nine lives - how many of these has pakistan used up! i say let them fight it out. the army should stay in the background and focus on its professional matters of soldering. they will know when things are getting out of hand (read internal security).

Zardari becoming President would mean he would have to accept a crippled position, without 58-2b and leave the chairmainship of the PPP.

That won't happen.

Altaf bhai is smart. He's supporting the move because he knows this the the final blow you need to break PPP.

I disagree. The Army should not intervene and allow the moron to take up the post. He will himself autodistruct, if he does not manage things correctly. The Army has stood by the political setup so far and will continue to do so.
Another thing that comes to mind keeping in view his previous antics, is that these "rumours" are circulated before hand to test the water. If the response is adverse, that he will come out and deny this , otherwise " on great public demand" he will assume the post.
It is said "set a thief to catch a thief". With Zardari in power, the biggest thief may prevent other thieves from their heinous acts to destabilize pakistan. The public will decide Zardari's fate . If he performs, then the government will go on, otherwise, he will have no one else to blame for the debacle. Eitherway it would be good for Pakistan to know his intentions fully .
Araz

Dear Araz sir,
I guss, if this thief (zardari) will becomes president of pakistan, than most of pakistanis will have to put remote controlled bombs on thier legs. thats the way, this thief use to get money from international investors before?:lol:

yap, make him the president of pakistan for 3 months, and than clean all that mess, let musharf become CE once again for 10 years, cancel the NRO, let the local govt system become a democrcy to be allowed in pakistan. stop the USAs ambasdor free meetings with all the political thugs, and send all these thugs ! in the jail + let them beging for deal..... record that video and send to geo tv.... to show to AWAM???:agree::angry:

If its democracy the awam want then they are welcome to Mr 10%.

Musharraf took the country forward a step and they called for his impeachment.

Let Zardari take it back 5 steps so they will call for his too.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom