What's new

Young Muslims add glam to their hijabs

Glam and Hijab. Never thought i would see those used in the same sentence.

Indeed, why not? Some have seen the light and want to escape the darkside - they want to be cute, they want to be attractive to me - it's the natural order, without this dysfunction of strage ideas posing as religon - I mean it may work in Arabia or in some parts of Pakistani society, but most people would not agree that religion is about a fashion sensibility.

Don't respond-- you know who I mean.

Well the lead piece suggests that some of these Hijabi types, now seek to come over from the dark side as it were, and express interest in being fashionable and cute.

Others who can't compete with normal girls and have to rely on a religion of fashion sense say that they are not being some third rate hand me down arbi fashion sense, resort to suggesting that they are complying with religous injunctions (as they understand them) so, is it unfair to ask what these injunctions to be fashionable may be?
Nutraf, please don't respond, thank you.
There are various types of Hijabis

There are indeed the tight jeans Hijabis (even mini skirted Hijabis) and they do indeed needlessly adorn the Hijab just to appease their minds that they are following the religious injunction.

There are then those who are required by their families to at least adorn the Hijab and the rest fashion n all - sab chalta hai.

There are many women, in Pakistan especially, that have the desire to be fashionable but yet not simply show skin. For them being fashionable is actually about looking up to a certain status mark - not look paindu as they'd say in Lahore - and keep themselves covered to their own hearts content.

Usually its a mix of the above situation to situation in the world of Hijabi Fashion. Islamic fashion is just the simplest way to describe it, it is of course something a lot more complex.

Also fashionable Hijabis also follow other normal girl routines like they pull out the big guns only some special occasions like weddings n all.

So these three Hijab types I know - there is no amount of make up those eyes and lips and brows do not know and God forbid they should come to know someone has a camera - yeah, sub chalta hai and yes, it's fashion - and thank God for cute girls.

story from the other side.

Mayor wants to ban 'mini-skirts' - *World News - MSN News UK

Mayor wants to ban 'mini-skirts'

An Italian mayor wants to ban mini-skirts in public, branding them "too revealing".

Luigi Bobbio said he wanted to restore public decorum in Castellammare di Stabia, near Naples, through a set of rules that include banning football games in public parks, blasphemy, and "very succinct clothes."

The rules are expected to be approved by the city council.

But what "very succinct" means is a matter of contention.

The Italian press has interpreted the norms as meaning a ban on miniskirts, low-cut shirts and high heels.

Berlusconi is going to be pissed as hell.

ontopic
If Hijab is a sign of modesty then why is Iran promoting it as Islamic costume design and fashion?

16_SB95.jpg

http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=185009

Last edited:
its bullshitt, hijab fashion is not allowed in islam, shias may have different views abt hijab. it reflects modest clothung and by making hijab fashion, one is taking away modesty and make up too

Well the lead piece suggests that some of these Hijabi types, now seek to come over from the dark side as it were, and express interest in being fashionable and cute.

Others who can't compete with normal girls and have to rely on a religion of fashion sense say that they are not being some third rate hand me down arbi fashion sense, resort to suggesting that they are complying with religous injunctions (as they understand them) so, is it unfair to ask what these injunctions to be fashionable may be?
Nutraf, please don't respond, thank you.

look hijab is not sign of backwardness, i tried and while living in the west i found that i have million times more respect they the typical western skirt woman, i have seen some hijabi english women, and it startled me the honour in them as compare to typical westen skirted woman, if u r sick of not seeing enough hotties around the corner because they like to cover them selves and appear more respectable, then fault is not in them its in you..

So these three Hijab types I know - there is no amount of make up those eyes and lips and brows do not know and God forbid they should come to know someone has a camera - yeah, sub chalta hai and yes, it's fashion - and thank God for cute girls.
I would say we need to keep the jury out. They are doing something different. It is not just about Islam, or being fashionable - or being cute. It is about all those things, Its about Islam and everything that came since.

They should be allowed their artistic freedom, and the hijab and by extension their entire dress-code be their canvas. Main thing is no one should force them to wear it, no one should force them to take it off.

Whether thats, through laws or through peer pressure. Let them be free to pick and choose and see what they come up with. I see things improving here, not worsening. Obviously the 'zamana' changes everything, and a little makeup a little glimmer and glamour here n there won't really be counted towards affecting anyone's modesty nor their immodesty. Its a change emerging from practicalities of living in the real world.

Muse, I guess you'd flip when you hear about the Burqini :P. Muslim Hijabi women want to hit the beach too - they are figuring out ways to incorporate swimwear Islamic style. It's all in good fun, their fun. Good on them.

Hijab has become such a fashion statement that everyone feels obliged to wear it..the most ridicolus situation is in the arab world where ladies turn up to work in mini skirts still keeping their headscarve. This is a true situation i have seen in Qatar.

And now some photo from Egypt where female harrasment has become a nationwide headache! Sometimes it is good to take steps in banning religious symbolism

lif-harass.jpg

Egyptian boys watch passing girls at the Nile bank in Cairo. (AP)

Isn't that oxymoron altogether if not the mini skirt in question isn't that mini!
Obviously it will be mini-ish in most cases, knee high sort of thing.

You're all assuming that modesty is the sole purpose of the Hijab. Its an amalgamation of things. No two Hijabi chicks are created equal.

Muse, I guess you'd flip when you hear about the Burqini . Muslim Hijabi women want to hit the beach too - they are figuring out ways to incorporate swimwear Islamic style. It's all in good fun, their fun. Good on them.

Now what makes you think that?

You remember those debates with the Hibz ut tahrir types where they would describe governance and administration and it was really what we already had expect with Arabic names for institutions - The point being I'm no fan of reinventing the wheel -- BUT, I do understand the psychological need to be able to relate to their own experience - just imagine, they want ot go the beach and they want to wear a Burqini - in other words they want that same experience, that same quality of experience, but don't want to be seen as cultural sell outs, while being that.

Those crazy beach partying Sahaba -- I just see it as a continuation of the politics of identity and I never did care much for the politics of identity.

BTW are you a fan of Camus? if you have not read him, you must.

These Hizb -e- tahrir and khilafa movement types are largely holed up around Europe and the most pathetic of Muslim bunch. International embarrassment indeed. Lets dissect what burquni really is..well a really tight spandex leotard which doesn't really do much for covering female form. Better to be naked in bikini than such ridiculous work around.

s-BURQINI-large.jpg

Shakira.JPG

look hijab is not sign of backwardness, i tried and while living in the west i found that i have million times more respect they the typical western skirt woman,

sorry for being off topic, you a girl?

Back
Top Bottom