What's new

You Grew Up In An Army Family If You Know What These 13 Terms Mean

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
You Grew Up In An Army Family If You Know What These 13 Terms Mean

The Pakistan Army, like any other army, has its own language. If you grew up in a household that had an Army personnel in it, not only did you learn basic English and Urdu, but you also ended up learning the unique language of the Pakistan Army.

For those who did, you should have no problem figuring these terms out, and those who didn’t, you will learn them now!

1.When you hear an officer telling someone “I was SIQ”.
You have to wonder if he had some serious disease!

SIQ stands for sick in quarters.

2. TADA –
What could that possibly be?

Travel allowance and dining allowance that officers are given when they move from one posting to another.

3. BOQs –
Well, this is just used for the individuals that are single in the army. Can you guess what it stands for?

Bachelor officer’s quarters, where all the parties are held :).

4. MOQs –
This one shouldn’t be so hard after the last one :).

Married officers quarters.

5. DMS –
I never thought these things would have such an awkward name, but they do!

DMS stand for ‘directly moulded shoes’, in layman’s term ‘boots’ :). Bet you didn’t know that one!

6. TFWC –
Any clue what this could stand for? The Funny Watch is Coming, maybe? Not even close! Got any other ideas? Can you guess from the picture?

It stands for Troops Family Welfare Centre where the wives of officers show their creativity with the help of the wives of the ‘Jawans’. It is a place designed to give the wives of ‘jawans’ the ability to learn about sewing, crafts, and stitching.

7. MES –
hmm, now what could that be? Any thoughts? Well, here’s a hint! They help to keep things in working order.

MES stands for Military Engineering Services; these are the gentlemen that ensure all your electrical and gas issues are taken resolved.

8. MI Room –
this one should be pretty easy, and the picture is a dead give away.

If you guess it has something to do with ‘medical’, you’re close. It is the Medical Inspection Room where families and officers will go to get tests done and for minor ailments.

9. Exercise –
Going to the gym perhaps? Not really.

Exercises are when units go on collective outdoor training exercises.

10. ‘Let’s go to the unit’ –
Confused, aren’t you?

Let’s go to the unit means to head to where the Unit’s offices are. Yes, it is a simple as that.

11. Tambola Night –
Hawaiian party maybe? Some fancy official dinner? Not really.

Tambola nights are actually bingo nights! They are arranged by the Division in Cantt for families to come out and enjoy and evening at the Officers’ Mess Hall.

12. YOs are headed to the CO’s office –
huh? Now, what does that mean? Most of you will probably guess what CO stands for but YOs? What’s that?

YO, or young officers, are headed to the CO’s or Commanding Officer’s office.

13. Batman –
the superhero?

Better known as ‘Chacha’, he is the gentleman that helps around the house.

Hope you like our military terms coverage. Are there any terms that we left out that you think should be on this list?

13. Batman –
the superhero?

Hope you like our military terms coverage. Are there any terms that we left out that you think should be on this list?

Finally disagree there. They are young Sipahi.
Sad continuation from our colonial masters.

@ghazi52 I see the khatian cantt entrance here .beautiful place when ever I visit Pakistan because I great grand mother lives in kharian so i go visit after 3 to 4 years she lives in kharian i mostly use this entrance and always talk with jawans there
Share and hear some good stories from boys

Finally disagree there. They are young Sipahi.
Sad continuation from our colonial masters.
It has been stopped.
All are enlisted are now not doing any household duties
NCBs are the new batman
non commissioned batman(NCB)

@ghazi52 I see the khatian cantt entrance here .beautiful place when ever I visit Pakistan because I great grand mother lives in kharian so i go visit after 3 to 4 years she lives in kharian i mostly use this entrance and always talk with jawans there
Share and hear some good stories from boys
I also like Kharian Cantt. There were lots of Jaman trees there. We used to live in South colony, interestingly my bro who just got posted out of Kharian was allocated the house right behind the house we used to live in when my dad was serving.
For topic i think one word which author forgot to mention was PT peetee :bounce:

8. MI Room –
this one should be pretty easy, and the picture is a dead give away.

If you guess it has something to do with ‘medical’, you’re close. It is the Medical Inspection Room where families and officers will go to get tests done and for minor ailments.

9. Exercise –
Going to the gym perhaps? Not really.

Exercises are when units go on collective outdoor training exercises.

10. ‘Let’s go to the unit’ –
Confused, aren’t you?

Let’s go to the unit means to head to where the Unit’s offices are. Yes, it is a simple as that.

11. Tambola Night –
Hawaiian party maybe? Some fancy official dinner? Not really.

Tambola nights are actually bingo nights! They are arranged by the Division in Cantt for families to come out and enjoy and evening at the Officers’ Mess Hall.

12. YOs are headed to the CO’s office –
huh? Now, what does that mean? Most of you will probably guess what CO stands for but YOs? What’s that?

YO, or young officers, are headed to the CO’s or Commanding Officer’s office.

13. Batman –
the superhero?

i was not raised in a Military family - yet i knew all of these except TWFC & SIQ

Back
Top Bottom