What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

But are these indeed 1xx5x-numbered serial aircraft or a temporary assignment - as previously done - of two prototypes for operational testing and conversion training ?

We want frontal pics of the Y-20 with 4 WS-20 engines installed.!

Whoever has the pics pls....:partay::yahoo::D

Formally delivered and/or commissioned

142408v1p22gpy1p16wu12.png

#10 :enjoy:
the engines are too narrow to be the ws-20 it would e the ws-18 as an interm engine

Consider US has 300 c5 + c17. What does china need 1000 y20 for? China doesn't have much power projection need as US. This thing costs money, you know.

Planning for the future.

Yes for sure and actually I can't think that the first operational birds will already use the WS-20 especially since no Y-20-prototype has been spotted with a WS-20 before.

Yes for sure and actually I can't think that the first operational birds will already use the WS-20 especially since no Y-20-prototype has been spotted with a WS-20 before.

There is no doubt about the existence of Y-20 prototype with all 4 engines being WS-20.

People in possession of pics simply wouldn't risk being invited for a cup of coffee in a small dark room 20 flights of stairs down the ground level. :D

IMO this number is far, far, far too much exaggerated !

Not even the USAF or the RuAF have such a huge fleet of transports even if You add all C-17, C-130 and C-5 in the USA or in Russia Il-78 + An-12 + An-124.

I think indeed that the PLAAF will purchase a larger number - maybe 200 - to establish a strategic lift capability and to bolster its transport fleet not only for military but also other "national" assets like emergency and disaster missions, but alone my "small" number of 200 would require about 10-12 new or transformed divisions; at all a completely new force structure.

Overall I won't be surprised if the PLAAF and other national assets would purchase between 200-300 Y-20s and maybe a few more for civil transport operators + some for export, but surely far less of these reported 1000.

Just my 2 cents,
Deino

There is no doubt about the existence of Y-20 prototype with all 4 engines being WS-20.

People in possession of pics simply wouldn't risk being invited for a cup of coffee in a small dark room 20 flights of stairs down the ground level. :D

Are You sure ? The GE-image I posted a few post above shows IMO clearly the four-WS-20-powered Il-76LL, but not a Y-20.

So You assume that already two Y-20 are converted to WS-20s ??

But wait: 786 and 787 ???

I thought only 781, 783, 785, 788 and 789 are confirmed !
:laugh:

And there is no Il-76 with four WS-20s.

Last edited:
One moment please ... and this one in the top-left corner ?

Y-20 4x + Il-76LL WS-20 + ... part.jpg

The only aircraft shown here with four wider engines is an Il-76LL and surely not a Y-20 ... just look at the wings, the length and other small details (like that small bump in front of the wings); it's the famous Il-76LL.
Il-76LL testbed older.jpg

Or do You think on this image these are the old D-30s and their engine cowlings are open making the engines look wider ?

Deino

142408v1p22gpy1p16wu12.png

New piece of unconfirmed news 10th Y-20 is ready for hand-over. Could this be one of first production batch to enter PLAAF service?

View attachment 310058

The only aircraft shown here with four wider engines is an Il-76LL and surely not a Y-20 ... just look at the wings, the length and other small details (like that small bump in front of the wings); it's the famous Il-76LL.
View attachment 310062

Or do You think on this image these are the old D-30s and their engine cowlings are open making the engines look wider ?

Deino
bfb71f65gw1f4ssyddwkhj203b026jr7.jpg
Shadow tells the secret

View attachment 310058

View attachment 310062

Deino
I think,it's a IL -76LL. Till now all the pic of an operational WS-20 was onboard a IL-76.If they think it's ready and want to install 4 engine at once, it's logical they will do it on a IL-76LL first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom