What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

Su-57 also made maiden flight earlier than J-20, and then?
So what's your point
The WS-15 has already conducted flight testing aboard a modified J-11 (not the J-20). This was confirmed at the beginning of last year IIRC. Considering the WS-15 only completed high/altitude core testing in 2009/2010, the time table is not slow at all. Also, you have to take into account the numerous revisions the Chinese have taken to modify the WS-15 ... the current iteration is much more advanced than the one envisioned in 2006 due to incorporating new gas turbine technologies. This will also produce delays.
Where can you have any pics on that ws-15 are currently testing on J-11 , i would like to say that's only just a rumors we are hearing about from years
The reason why the WS-10 was built on a CFM-56 core was because the MIC at the time (late 80s) did not have much funding and the limitations of China's military technologies. But a lot has changed since then ... the Chinese thrust to weight ratio 10 core demonstrator was tested successfully at the turn of the century (CJ-2000), which later became the basis for the WS-15. Experience is another thing that is very overrated ... it can be argued the Chinese had little experience compared to the US, Europe, or Russia in practically all areas of military hardware. Yet why have they been able to catch up and exceed in some aspects so quickly? The person playing catch up usually has a much easier and faster time than the person who is already at the
I am talking about REAL FACTS, you might be good in electronics and mechanical aspect of your military hardware but engine development is one of the most difficult aspects of military hardware development

Last edited:
So what's your point
And again, what did you mean?
1.JPG

From Rick Joe @RickJoe_PLA on 2020.11.22:

So, seems like the picture of the Y-20 is someone who widened the D-30 engines to make it seem like WS-20s (original pic 2, doctored pic 3).

BUT all the big names confirm the real Y-20B with WS-20 has flown, and notably is in yellow primer. (Speculative art pic 1)

Y-20B Speculative art pic.jpg

Already snow?
That northern region of China even has a cool summer... to my surprise when I visited the northern part of Shanxi 山西 -- just adjacent to Shaanxi 陕西 with its capital city, Xi’an -- during summer a couple of years ago, the climate was very pleasant (as I don't like hot weather, thus have a good memory). Therefore I have a little wonder that winter is coming earlier to that part of China, incl. the NE region, all thank to the Siberian winds :P

Last edited:
As Tang Changhong, the Chief Designer of 运-20 / Yun-20, the Xi'an Y-20 large military transport aircraft, is mentioned in the list, I will simply put the list here :D

University Alumni - Craftsman of Great Country - CNUR_com.png

University Alumni: “Craftsman of Great Country”

Source: CNUR.COM

No、Name、 Position & Project、 Graduated from University

01 Zhu Yingfu Chief Designer of "Liaoning warship" Shanghai Jiaotong University

02 Wu Guanghui Chief Designer of "COMAC C919" NUAA
03 Yang Wei Chief Designer of "J-20" Northwestern Polytechnical University
04 Liang Jianying Chief Designer of "Fuxing" (HSR) Tongji University
05 Xie Jun Chief Designer of "BeiDou Satellite" National University of Defense Technology
06 Hu Weiwu Chief Scientist of "Loongson CPU" USTC
07 Lin Ming Chief Engineer of "Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge" Southeast University
08 Meng Fanchao Chief Designer of "Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge" Chongqing Jiaotong University
09 Wu Weiren Chief Designer of "Lunar Exploration Project" USTC
10 Xu Qinan Chief Designer of "Jiaolong" (manned deep-sea submersible) Shanghai Jiaotong University
11 Chang Jin Chief Scientist of "Wukong Satellite" (DAMPE Satellite) USTC
12 Hu Zhen Chief Designer of "Deep Sea Warrior" (manned submersible) South China University
13 Nan Rendong Chief Engineer of "China Tianyan" (FAST telescope, Guizhou) Tsinghua University
14 Pan Jianwei Chief Engineer of "Mozi Satellite" (QUESS / Quantum Experiments at Space Scale) USTC
15 Tong Wen Chief Scientist of "Huawei 5G" Southeast University
16 Zheng Shouren Chief Designer of "Three Gorges Hydropower Station" Hohai University
17 Yang Hong Chief Designer of "Tiangong No. 1" Xi'an University of Electronic Science and Technology
18 Zhu Zongpeng Chief Designer of "Tiangong No. 2" Harbin Institute of Technology
19 Li Dong Chief Designer of "Long March 5" Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
20 Sun Jiadong Chief Designer of "Chang'e-1" Harbin Institute of Technology
21 Wu Weiren Chief Designer of "Chang'e-2" USTC
22 Sun Zezhou Chief Designer of "Chang'e-3 and Chang'e-4" NUAA
23 Tang Changhong Chief Designer of "Y-20" Northwestern Polytechnical University
24 Huang Lingcai Chief Designer of " AVIC AG600 Kunlong" (large amphibious aircraft) NUAA

25 Xu Qing Chief Designer of "Destroyer 055" Shanghai Jiaotong University

USTC: University of Science and Technology of China
NUAA: Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics alias Nanhang

USTC has the most alumni in the above list; both NUAA and Shanghai Jiaotong University are the runner-up.

Last edited:
From Rick Joe @RickJoe_PLA on 2020.11.22:

So, seems like the picture of the Y-20 is someone who widened the D-30 engines to make it seem like WS-20s (original pic 2, doctored pic 3).
Ugh do these losers have nothing better to do with their lives :hitwall: :disagree:

Ugh do these losers have nothing better to do with their lives :hitwall: :disagree:
Not really! Why not one grasps it that the factual picture is not yet the right time to circulate (unless one wanna get a tea invite, which ofc nobody wants it) but the actual test was already done. The pic is just a symbolic representation, but every long time watcher know that the pic ain't everything wrt PLA development (for we have seen a lot about these pic things in the past practices)... regardless whatever outsiders may wish to demand! Just be patient. For the rest, believe as they wish... :P

Where can you have any pics on that ws-15 are currently testing on J-11 , i would like to say that's only just a rumors we are hearing about from years
You have been here long enough to know that Chinese military developments reports are first based on rumors/leaks and that pictures only follow thereafter. For something as sensitive as the WS-15, I doubt we will be getting any pics so I wouldn't hold my breath. However the WS-15 flight test came from a very reputable source. I'm not so sure why this development is so surprising for you given the engine's timeline.
I am talking about REAL FACTS, you might be good in electronics and mechanical aspect of your military hardware but engine development is one of the most difficult aspects of military hardware development
And the "real facts" here are that virtually all Chinese major aircraft variants are using a derivative of the WS-10 or another Chinese engine. You can say Chinese engine makers have no experience compared to Western or Russian makers but the fact is all new aircraft are being produced with Chinese engines.

Back
Top Bottom