What's new

Xi’s Submarine Sale Raises Indian Ocean Nuclear Clash Risk

The S-20 has six torpedo tubes capable of firing up to 18 torpedoes and missile canisters, which include the 533mm Yu-6 heavy torpedo, naval mines and 300km range YJ-82 AShM. Pakistan is already working to navalize HATF-7 land attack cruise missile for launch from its current Agosta 90B submarines, so the new S-20s would almost certainly also be designed to carry nuclear armed HATF-7 missiles.

This would give Pakistan an additional credible second strike capability by way of,
a) Being able to launch nuclear strikes from previously inaccessible (littoral - shallow depth) areas like the Bay of Bengal or other coastal areas off of the Indian coastline, where the heavier 6000 ton S-30 can't go but lighter 2200 ton S-20's can,
b) And that too with an underwater nuclear deterrent like the nuclear tipped HATF-7 (range of 750-1000km).

So - Pakistan's naval plan calls for twelve submarines. PN currently operates five French Agosta class, with two of its Agosta 70s over 40 years old and in dire need of replacement. My understanding is that the S-20 (Song Class) or S-26 might be the Agosta replacements. And the S-30's (modified type 032 'Qing Class' as some are saying) could be the new upgraded class for the PN as a temporary Indian SSN deterrent.

song class submarines are sitting ducks for ASW. china's submarine technology is quite far away from maturity

The S-20 has six torpedo tubes capable of firing up to 18 torpedoes and missile canisters, which include the 533mm Yu-6 heavy torpedo, naval mines and 300km range YJ-82 AShM. Pakistan is already working to navalize HATF-7 land attack cruise missile for launch from its current Agosta 90B submarines, so the new S-20s would almost certainly also be designed to carry nuclear armed HATF-7 missiles.

This would give Pakistan an additional credible second strike capability by way of,
a) Being able to launch nuclear strikes from previously inaccessible (littoral - shallow depth) areas like the Bay of Bengal or other coastal areas off of the Indian coastline, where the heavier 6000 ton S-30 can't go but lighter 2200 ton S-20's can,
b) And that too with an underwater nuclear deterrent like the nuclear tipped HATF-7 (range of 750-1000km).

So - Pakistan's naval plan calls for twelve submarines. PN currently operates five French Agosta class, with two of its Agosta 70s over 40 years old and in dire need of replacement. My understanding is that the S-20 (Song Class) or S-26 might be the Agosta replacements. And the S-30's (modified type 032 'Qing Class' as some are saying) could be the new upgraded class for the PN as a temporary Indian SSN deterrent.

I think S-20s will be produced at KS&EWs in numbers similar to 16-24 in 3 Blocks and in about 15 years time.
More over, my personal wish would be to see a smaller version of S-20 named to be as S-10P with 700 tons capable of coastal patrol and defence against all targets. S-30 will surely be a nuclear powered submarine for PN but numbers can be predicted.

I am sure PN would go for more after the 8 of them that they are going to acquire or produce in Karachi. Also, I think PN should focus on a mini version of it with 700 ton weight that can launch torpedoes and AShMs.

@TOPGUN @Penguin Is this true?

What my thinking is saying is that; PN will be procuring this:
8+8 S-20 which might be a 2200 Ton vessel.
7-8 S-30 which will carry a Pakistani nuclear reactor.

I hope so; S-10 will be in service too with 700 tons for coastal operations.
No

song class submarines are sitting ducks for ASW. china's submarine technology is quite far away from maturity

S-20 is actually modified 039A yuan class, which was designed post Kilo purchase, and is equipped with AIP. Pakistan is going to join the handful of nations operating Non -nuclear AIP subs

i hope we get the things a bit fast tracked and we can see some construction work beginning by end of this year. PN will need to start inducting submarines by end 2016-2017. The Navy currently is the most ill equipped arm of military forces and in dire need to attention,, IMMEDIATE.
I hope this development do not turns out to be like PN getting U214 or Qing or Yuan class subs ( although based on the same, i am referring of delays)

S-20 is actually modified 039A yuan class, which was designed post Kilo purchase, and is equipped with AIP. Pakistan is going to join the handful of nations operating Non -nuclear AIP subs

kilo class subs are noisy. the indian navy operates them. AIP does not reduce the noise signature

I think S-20s will be produced at KS&EWs in numbers similar to 16-24 in 3 Blocks and in about 15 years time.
More over, my personal wish would be to see a smaller version of S-20 named to be as S-10P with 700 tons capable of coastal patrol and defence against all targets. S-30 will surely be a nuclear powered submarine for PN but numbers can be predicted.

@araz Come on yarr!!!! he is just a fan boy. All he wants is to see is a strong Pakistan. Yes sometimes he is ludicrous, but he is never rude, foul mouthed or abusive, unlike some people on this forum.

I humbly request you, meray white balon ka wasta, reverse the poor kids -ve rating.

nothing new , same old crap ...
we know the pants are already wet in our neighborhood ... we can export some baby wipes , if they want :)

Question is HOW and when????? :eek::eek::eek:

I have spoken with my senior Navy uncle than they told me, Pakistan is nothing a problem for us nor we think about him now.

We are looking forward to take care all Indian Ocean and beyond, within 10 years India will be increase double power in region.:coffee:

I have spoken with my senior Navy uncle than they told me, Pakistan is nothing a problem for us nor we think about him now.
with at least 7 AIP equipped subs it's not a problem i wish all of IN command is like that, but anyhow kid what is designation of your chacha......

@araz Come on yarr!!!! he is just a fan boy. All he wants is to see is a strong Pakistan. Yes sometimes he is ludicrous, but he is never rude, foul mouthed or abusive, unlike some people on this forum.

I humbly request you, meray white balon ka wasta, reverse the poor kids -ve rating.
Thank you Sir! Actually I have believe that if we aim for good and better than we can achieve this or else its impossible. Most of the senior members and even THINK TANK don't understand the reality. As previously they are saying much more things that what I am suggesting now.

I am sorry for all my messages which are of no value but still hope to see better Pakistan :pakistan:

I really don't know but surely PN has many good guys in the TOP brass and surely they will do even better than our ideas, thoughts and expectations.

Question is HOW and when????? :eek::eek::eek:

We are looking forward to take care all Indian Ocean and beyond, within 10 years India will be increase double power in region.:coffee:

that is exactly we want our Enemy to think ....

that is exactly we want our Enemy to think ....

Ok.................. that was my question man....well best of luck.................... Yes if u get 6 sub than it would be great for u...

Indian navy have also big plan.....................so every country does have...... so good for you

with at least 7 AIP equipped subs it's not a problem i wish all of IN command is like that, but anyhow kid what is designation of your chacha......

Yes number is good but you need to check other things too..... They simply meaning was that now they don't care about Pakistan.

Biggest challenge is only China and indian navy preparing and must have to prepare for future. Now, most of discussion going about China now these days. Indian govt have to provide full fund and support to Indian Navy.

As per him, people will suprise in within 5 years. They told me that some secret plan is going on, you have to wait for that:-)

Back
Top Bottom