What's new

World's tallest, Kingdom Tower developer names new CEO

If KSA had a population the size of Japan (130 million) or China (1.3 billion) then I would have agreed with you.
Saudi Arabia has a population of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Switzerland and many other countries comibined and see what those nations are contributing to the world. They have a population more than Australia and many other countries in the world.

Holland and Belgium combined probably have a lower population as compared to Saudi Arabia.. and they are on top of this world. Their list of innovations far exceeds Saudi Arabia who were bestowed by assets and natural/precious/high demand resources unlike other countries. If they were even half of UK, France or Germany it would be sadly acceptable.

Saudi Arabia on the hand is a vast country next only to few bigger nations of the world.

Saudi Arabia has a population of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Switzerland and many other countries comibined and see what those nations are contributing to the world. They have a population more than Australia and many other countries in the world.

Holland and Belgium combined probably have a lower population as compared to Saudi Arabia.. and they are on top of this world. Their list of innovations far exceeds Saudi Arabia who were bestowed by assets and natural/precious/high demand resources unlike other countries. If they were even half of UK, France or Germany it would be sadly acceptable.

Saudi Arabia on the hand is a vast country next only to few bigger nations of the world.

Well, you cannot compare any non-Western country with those small Western European welfare states for many obvious reasons but I get your point.

At the same time the ancient ME was the most developed part of the world for thousands of years and home to the most influential and most ancient civilizations. You don't have to look further back than the Islamic Golden Age which was based in the Arab world. Arabs alone left 11 World UNESCO Heritage Sites in Spain.

All I am trying to say is that one should have realistic targets. It takes time. KSA is on the right track. Besides being blessed with natural resources is not always a blessing but can also be a curse.

I see the many giant projects in a very positive light.

If KSA had a population the size of Japan (130 million) or China (1.3 billion) then I would have agreed with you.

I added those two links:

KAEC to have 2m people, projects worth $100bn on completion: CEO

Saudi Arabia’s Six New Economic Cities

By the time the Kingdom Tower is expected to be completed a real tourism sector will be established and the strict visa rules will be removed.

This will happen before 2022.

See this thread for more information:

Tourist visas to be introduced in KSA

I know, you showed me before and it would be kinda cool. But i see some issues. Visa are one thing. But what about culture and how do Saudi people accept this? And how will tourists see this? I won´t lie to you, Saudi Arabia has not the best image in europe. You live here so you know this.

What about security? Then there is the religious issue. If i book Saudi Arabia i would not want to sleep in a different room than my girlfriend. And she would never ever cover herself.

Another problem i see is that Saudi Arabias national airline is relative weak compared to its neighbors. You know that Emirates, Ethihad and Qatar Airways are our greatest customers. The A380 fleet operated from Emirates is gigantic. Qatar Airlines is even the launch customer of our brand new A350 XWB. Dubai has become the main hub between EU and Asia as well as Australia.

It will be very hard for Saudia to catch up.

We talked before and i know that you are aware of this problems. And i wish you all the best to go this way.

But how will the "small saudi" react to this? The villager and so on?

I know, you showed me before and it would be kinda cool. But i see some issues. Visa are one thing. But what about culture and how do Saudi people accept this? And how will tourists see this? I won´t lie to you, Saudi Arabia has not the best image in europe. You live here so you know this.

What about security? Then there is the religious issue. If i book Saudi Arabia i would not want to sleep in a different room than my girlfriend. And she would never ever cover herself.

Another problem i see is that Saudi Arabias national airline is relative weak compared to its neighbors. You know that Emirates, Ethihad and Qatar Airways are our greatest customers. The A380 fleet operated from Emirates is gigantic. Qatar Airlines is even the launch customer of our brand new A350 XWB. Dubai has become the main hub between EU and Asia as well as Australia.

It will be very hard for Saudi Airlines to catch up.

We talked before and i know that you are aware of this problems. And i wish you all the best to go this way.

But how will the "small saudi" react to this? The villager and so on?

Well, Saudi Arabia is already the 15th most visited country in the world. Pilgrims from all over the world have arrived to KSA for 1400 straight years and before that KSA was a integral part of the ancient Incense Rout - the first real international trade route of note. KSA is located in the ME the center of the world. Foreigners have always interacted with the locals and vice versa historically.

Incense Route - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The false idea of KSA being a isolated country in the ME is very wrong historically but I have heard this a few times in Europe.

Even today KSA has more migrants than any other country outside USA, Russia and China in terms of sheer numbers.

So there would be no problem.

Which security? KSA is one of the most secure countries on earth. The crime rates are lower than many countries in Western Europe.

Not all women cover up in KSA and especially not foreigners.

Yes, but KSA does not lack money. It's just a question of willingness. Another Saudi Arabian airline just recently opened up as well.

New KSA airline orders 26 aircraft worth $2bn

Anyway thank you.

But to tell you honestly then KSA's biggest market for tourist's at the beginning will probably be some of the 1.7 billion Muslims, fellow ME people, Africans and Asians. But I don't know what the future will tell. All I know is that the investments in the tourism sector will be significant in the upcoming future.

Anyway back to watching CL.:D

Last edited:
Well, Saudi Arabia is already the 15th most visited country in the world. Pilgrims from all over the world have arrived to KSA for 1400 straight years and before that KSA was a integral part of the ancient Incense Rout - the first real international trade route of note. KSA is located in the ME the center of the world. Foreigners have always interacted with the locals and vice versa historically.

Incense Route - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The false idea of KSA being a isolated country in the ME is very wrong historically but I have heard this a few times in Europe.

Even today KSA has more migrants than any other country outside USA, Russia and China in terms of sheer numbers.

So there would be no problem.

Which security? KSA is one of the most secure countries on earth. The crime rates are lower than many countries in Western Europe.

Not all women cover up in KSA and especially not foreigners.

Yes, but KSA does not lack money. It's just a question of willingness. Another Saudi Arabian airline just recently opened up as well.

New KSA airline orders 26 aircraft worth $2bn

Anyway thank you.

But to tell you honestly then KSA's biggest market for tourist's at the beginning will probably be some of the 1.7 billion Muslims, fellow ME people, Africans and Asians. But I don't know what the future will tell. All I know is that the investments in the tourism sector will be significant in the upcoming future.

Anyway back to watching CL.:D

I think Saudi Arabia missed a big chance in the 70th. You know Concorde was the mother of Airbus in a way. We have a Concorde placed at our main HQ. It is F-WTSB and in internal documents at our "history" you can read that Saudi Arabia had great interests in Concorde. There were talks about 18 aircrafts and additional 5 further options. This would have made Saudi Arabia the biggest fleet of Concorde worldwide. Imagine what role Saudi could have played with a fleet of this speed birds.

Unfortunatelly the americans worked on their own Super Sonic Airplane and the Saudis did end talks about ordering Concorde. In the end the americans cancelled their SST and Saudia had no SST option left since Concorde production ended. The fuel costs would have been no problem for Saudi Arabia i´m sure.

I think Saudi Arabia missed a big chance in the 70th. You know Concorde was the mother of Airbus in a way. We have a Concorde placed at our main HQ. It is F-WTSB and in internal documents at our "history" you can read that Saudi Arabia had great interests in Concorde. There were talks about 18 aircrafts and additional 5 further options. This would have made Saudi Arabia the biggest fleet of Concorde worldwide. Imagine what role Saudi could have played with a fleet of this speed birds.

Unfortunatelly the americans worked on their own Super Sonic Airplane and the Saudis did end talks about ordering Concorde. In the end the americans cancelled their SST and Saudia had no SST option left since Concorde production ended. The fuel costs would have been no problem for Saudi Arabia i´m sure.

Wow, that's extremely interesting. I always had a very big interest in the Concorde. My grandfather and father were lucky enough to fly from London to New York in the 1980's. A 3.30-4.00 hours flight! Ever since those stories I always wanted to do the same but that dream ended with the crash of Air France Flight 4590 in 2000.

Yes, KSA was "opening" up in the 1970's but a certain event in 1979 changed that or two if you are harsh.

Grand Mosque Seizure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iranian Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, that's extremely interesting. I always had a very big interest in the Concorde. My grandfather and father were lucky enough to fly from London to New York in the 1980's. A 3.30-4.00 hours flight! Ever since those stories I always wanted to do the same but that dream ended with the crash of Air France Flight 4590 in 2000.

Yes, KSA was "opening" up in the 1970's but a certain event in 1979 changed that or two if you are harsh.

Grand Mosque Seizure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iranian Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact remains that Concorde is till today the most awesome machine build for aviation. So much we do today at Airbus is based on Concorde. Concorde pushed technology to its absolute limit. I was able to fly Concorde with my parents in early 2002. G-BOAC and even though i was a small boy this event pushed me forever to be fascinated about aviation and to Airbus. You will feel this power in no other aircraft. The Air France crash was not the fault of Concorde but debris left on the runway.

I think this video here captures very well what Concorde was and still represents

As for Saudi Arabia, yes the iranian revolution and uncertain future may have ended their Concorde plans.

Lol, Iran is backward country can not even be compared with north korea. Frustrated, sanctioned, Isolated and deprived country where people can barely afford to eat.

That was hard, painful and a strong one خف عليهم شوي :D

Or better jump off something tall. I suggest we invite @elis to visit the Kingdom Tower when completed so we can help him jump off from the highest floor. After all what beats jumping off from the highest building in the world?

As a starter and case study:

April 23, 2014

Video: Daring duo jump off from pinnacle of Burj Khalifa

New base jumping world record set in Dubai from the top of Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building

Soul Flyers World Champions Fred Fugen and Vince Reffet took the first leap off The Burj Khalifa, 828 meters tall, on Monday, April 21, 2014, claiming the new Guinness World Record title of the Highest Base Jump from the Tallest Building, exhibiting their astonishing base jumping skills.

SkydiveDubai_BKJ_Landing.jpg

Skydive Dubai, a leader in extreme skydiving, sponsored yet another Guinness World Record on Monday for base jumping off the very tip of the Burj Khalifa.

The jump from the Burj Khalifa was only possible with the construction of a 3 X 1 meter platform at the very top of the pinnacle and was an immense task in itself. The structure which was recently spotted by residents and tourists, took a total of 3 days for installation with challenges faced due to weather constrictions limiting the time available for construction. Throughout the whole period, the highest safety measures were put in place to ensure the pinnacle did not get damaged.

“On behalf of the entire team and myself, I would like to thank Sheikh Hamdan nin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of Dubai Sports Council for giving us the opportunity in making this project a reality. Skydive Dubai has become a pioneer in regards to aerial sports and will continue to strive in setting more new world records.” said Nasser Al Neyadi, President of the Aero Sport Federation and Chairman of Skydive Dubai.

SkydiveDubai_BKJ_Jump.jpg

Fred and Vince had to go through a series of training in Switzerland by base jumping off Lauterbeunnen Mountain which is almost the same height as the Burj Khalifa.

With a week of intense training in Switzerland, Fred and Vince continued to condition themselves with base jumping out of helicopters in Dubai to ensure they were ready for the leap off of the world’s tallest building.

SkydiveDubai_BKJ_PreJump.jpg

“This was the jump of a lifetime and an achievement of three years of hard training. I am glad we landed successfully, accomplishing a lifelong dream.” stated Fred Fugen. “This was my best jump by far. It was a dream come true,” continued Vince Reffet.

Skydive Dubai, with the support of Emirates Aero Sports Federation, is one of the world’s premier skydiving locations right in the heart of Dubai City, with a desire for breaking world records. Since Skydive Dubai’s launch in 2010, they have provided a platform for extreme athletes to express their passion, train hard and achieve their dreams. This was highlighted earlier in April when they broke the Guinness World Record for the smallest parachute jump.

SkydiveDubai_BKJ_BurjKhalifa.jpg

“As always, Skydive Dubai prides itself on the 100% safety record and the Burj Khalifa Jump is no exception”, said Alan Gayton, General Manager, Skydive Dubai, The Palm Drop Zone. “This success is due to the ‘Practice make perfect’ method of training that we always follow and the 100% dedication of everyone working on this project”.

Dubai Film Production in association with Skydive Dubai is currently working on a short documentary focus on the project as a whole which will be released soon.

Video: Daring duo jump off from pinnacle of Burj Khalifa - Emirates 24/7

Last edited:
@Al Bhatti

Good one.:rofl:

Foundation for world’s tallest building completed – owners

Construction of the tower starts

The Kingdom Tower and City as envisioned. (Inset) Mounib Hammoud, CEO of JEC, stands beside a replica of the Kingdom Tower which will be the tallest in the world when completed. — Courtesy photos

Last updated: Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:39 AM

JEDDAHThe Jeddah Economic Company (JEC), owner and developer of the Kingdom Tower and City in Obhor north of Jeddah, has completed the raft piling works for what could be the tallest tower in the world rising to more than 1,000 meters on an 85,000 square meter land area at more than $1.5 billion.

The foundation and piling works, one of the most important and difficult stages of the project, took 12 months to complete, the JEC said.

The JEC seeks to achieve new world records using latest technologies for foundation works of high rise buildings. At least 270 piles were cast in the site reaching 105 meters below the natural ground level and with a diameter that vary between 1.5 – 1.8 meters.

The raft is considered one of the world’s largest one-piece reinforced steel foundations with thickness ranging between 4.5 – 5 meters. Both piles and raft are supported with anti-corrosion technologies to preserve the steel reinforcement, using a constant electric current system known as Cathodic Protection.

In addition, strain gauge instrumentation and load cells have been built in to detect any changes in the soil and provide continuous readings about any environmental changes to the area around the foundation. Finally, earthing and lightning prevention systems were installed into the raft piling foundation.

Mounib Hammoud, CEO of JEC, said the work on the Kingdom Tower is now above the ground and construction is moving at an accelerated pace and in accordance with the highest construction standards using the most advanced techniques.

“Some of the techniques have been specified, such as the use of a high strength concrete reaching Cylinder Compression of 85MPa. The reinforced steel used is deformed bars Grade 60 and up to 40 millimeters in diameter and with yield strength of 520 MPa,” he said.

“A further double height eight-full refuge floors that are fire resistance will be allocated throughout the Tower. The Kingdom Tower will be ahead of any other high rise building in the world with specifications surpassing what is usually required,” he added.

“The Tower will have 58 high-speed elevators including the double-decker high-speed elevators reaching a speed of 12 meters/second, in addition to other distinctive features making the Kingdom Tower an iconic landmark that will be a source of pride for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its people.”

Hammoud also said that Saudi Arabia’s economic growth and prosperity make the Kingdom an important hub for local, regional and global investments.

JEC will emphasize this fact in order to make the Kingdom City a preferred destination for investors and ensure a prosperous future for generations of young Saudis by creating employment opportunities and providing an effective response to the growing demand for housing.

The Kingdom Tower features 170 stories, seven stories of which will be allocated for the five-star Four Seasons Hotel offering 200 rooms, eleven stories for 121 luxury serviced apartments, and seven stories for offices.

The Tower will also have 61 stories that include 318 housing units of various types, a gym, spa, cafes and restaurants, several sky lobbies and world’s highest observation floors located on the top floors 660-meter high enabling visitors to view the city of Jeddah from the sky.

Located on an area of more than 5.3 million square meters, the Kingdom City will provide a contemporary-lifestyle environment supported by an integrated advanced infrastructure. The City is designed to be a vital point for business and trade, as well as a tourist hotspot. The main objective of developing the Kingdom City is to provide a unique life, work and play environment offering residents and visitors elevated service levels. The city will significantly enhance Jeddah’s global status as a dynamic business, commercial, educational, medical and entertainment hub and will contribute to consolidating the sustainable growth of Jeddah’s real estate development. — SG

Foundation for world’s tallest building completed – owners | Economy | Saudi Gazette

Actually they are a bit slow - the ones reporting this news. They already moved the work from foundation pilling to the next step in the beginning of March as I wrote in this very thread at the time.

1398866124725677500.jpg

Prince Alwaleed heads the JEC board meeting in Riyadh.
RIYADH: ARAB NEWS

Published — Thursday 1 May 2014

Last update 1 May 2014 12:08 am
Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, chairman of Kingdom Holding Company (KHC), headed the fifth board of directors meeting of Jeddah Economic Company (JEC) in Riyadh with the board members.
The board members are Abdulrahman Hassan Sharbatly, Saleh Bin Laden, Samaual Bakhsh, Talal Almaiman, executive director development and domestic investments, chairman and CEO of Kingdom Real Estate Development Company (KRED), a board member of Kingdom Holding Company and Jeddah Economic Company (JEC) and Hassan Sharbatly.
The meeting was also attended by Mohamed Fahmy, Kingdom Holding Company’s CFO and Fahad bin Saad bin Nafel, executive assistant to the chairman.
During the meeting, Talal Al-Maiman updated the board about the latest developments relating to agreements of operating the tallest tower which will be more than 1,000 meters high with value of SR4.6 billion.
Mounib Hammoud, CEO, Jeddah Economic Company (JEC), briefed the board about the status of the project and presented them with the progress of infrastructure and services for the project including electricity, water and district cooling.
The board has expressed their satisfaction with how the project is progressing and the completion of piling works.
In December 2013, Hammoud announced the completion of the piling works for the tallest tower in the world (Kingdom Tower).
This achievement is considered to be the base of works over ground.
In November 2013, JEC appointed a British company EC Harris Mace to provide Project Management services for the Kingdom Tower project in Jeddah.
The contract value is SR162 million and includes the management of all aspects of the project’s delivery with specific emphasis on the management of the program and cost.
Prince Alwaleed said: “This contract further confirms that the Jeddah project continues on its strategic path.”
Talal Al-Maiman added: “The selection of the working team has been completed to realize the vision of the investors and the city of Jeddah for this world-class standard national project. Also, I would like to reiterate that Jeddah Kingdom Tower piling works has been completed by Saudi Bauer Company.”

Kingdom Tower project in Jeddah progressing as planned | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

DwSYBx.jpg

pe7kSs.jpg

aOXCqv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom