What's new

World's tallest, Kingdom Tower developer names new CEO

Ok, first of all Kingdom Tower is in its early construction stage and the work has just moved from foundation pilling into the next stage. It is also important to notice that the area is secluded and only people working on the project and the firms assigned for the work have direct knowledge of the proceedings as of now.

What is interesting is the huge base of the tower. So the fundament must be really strong to support a unprecedented 1 km tall structure.

Anyway it will be easier to follow the work in 40 days when the official page will open and they will make frequent updates until the project is completed sometime around 2020.

A little side comment here. Notice that the completion is scheduled to take place BEFORE the World Cup in Qatar in 2022 which is just next door and by that time I believe that KSA will open up more or less "fully" (maybe wrong word) for tourists and make the visa regulations etc. much more liberal.

The official page of the Jeddah Economic Company (JEC) can be seen here:

Jeddah Economic City

Jeddah Economic Company (JEC) Ltd was formed in 2009 for the purpose of developing Kingdom City, Jeddah with the new Kingdom Tower as the project centerpiece.
Principal JEC financiers are Kingdom Holding Company, Abrar Holding Company, owned by Samaual Bakhsh, Qila’a Jeddah Company, owned by businessman Abdulrahman Hassan Sharbatly, as well as Kingdom Tower’s primary contractor, Saudi Bin ladin Group.
JEC's assets have a book value of nearly SR 9bn.

Jeddah Economic Company Ltd., that was co-founded by Kingdom Holding Company, in which it holds a substantial interest, is developing the Kingdom City, Jeddah. The project will feature the over 1,000-meter Kingdom Tower with approximately 5.3m square meters of new urban development to attract business and tourism. The tower aims to be an iconic marker of Jeddah’s historic importance as the gateway to the holy cities of Makkah & Madinah.

Kingdom Tower Jeddah planning activities have attracted worldwide interest. It will comprise more than 500,000 square meters of floor space and feature a Four Seasons hotel, Four Seasons furnished apartments, first-class office space and luxury condominiums. No official floor count is yet supplied, but architects have stated there will be approximately 50 more floors than the 163-floor Burj Khalifa tower in Dubai, UAE. Kingdom Tower will also offer the world’s highest observation deck.

Credit for the Kingdom Tower Jeddah vision goes to HRH Prince Alwaleed, who was closely involved in all facets of the planning, design and the selection of Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architects (AS+GG) as principal architects. Prince Alwaleed, and the board were impressed by the boldness and simplicity of the AS+GG design. Kingdom Tower’s height is remarkable, and the building’s iconic status will not depend solely on that aspect. Its form is brilliantly sculpted, making it quite simply the most beautiful building in the world at any height.

The tower’s great height requires one of the world’s most sophisticated elevator systems; the Kingdom Tower complex will feature 59 elevators, including 4 double-decker, and 2 triple- decker elevators. Elevators serving the observatory will travel at a rate of 10 meters per second.

The project also takes advantage of new energy conservation technology. The tower is to feature a high-performance exterior wall system that will minimize energy consumption by reducing thermal loads.

The entire Kingdom City project on the Red Sea coast includes residential units, commercial units, an international hotel, business offices, educational centres, a diplomatic area, commercial centres, entertainment and tourist facilities, and water sports activities, all within a modern city located in a to be determined strategic location set to be an attraction for business and tourism.

Final design:

WyxlSx3.jpg

0uLOQW3.jpg

93Lckwt.jpg

rOig3O3.jpg

rUChaTz.jpg

hIpMvCe.jpg

r0dN9fF.jpg

G1dORh2.jpg

GqftOMP.jpg

@10:10+ he mentioned ego etc being behind competition to build taller than before...
Could we relate current time in span of life-on-earth to the following!!

"..When the shepherds of black camels start boasting and competing with others in the construction of higher buildings.."
"..when the shepherds of the black (camels) would exult themselves in buildings, this is one of the signs of (Doom).."
"..When a slave woman gives birth to her master\mistress, when you see the barefoot, naked, destitute shepherds competing in making tall buildings..
".
Sahih al-Bukhari 50, In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 43, Online English reference : Vol. 1, Book 2, Hadith 48
Sahih Muslim 8e, In-book reference : Book 1, Hadith 5, Online English reference : Book 1, Hadith 4
Sunan an-Nasa'i 4990, In-book reference : Book 47, Hadith 6, Online English translation : Vol. 6, Book 47, Hadith 4993

@sur

Why are you polluting this thread with nonsense and talk that has nothing to do with the topic?..

off-topic..!!! How?

Thread is about building taller building; Video you posted talks about competing in building taller buildings. Ahadees are exactly on competing in building taller buildings. Exact same topic.

Secondly, if it's "nonsense", then those are not my sayings...! Don't kill the messenger. ;)

I asked a question, presented my opinion on-topic of building taller buildings; gave my remarks on-topic... That's what these forums are for. It's NOT your personal advertisement portal. You could have opted to not reply -or- reply with yes or no to the question.

"If" i take your approach, even your thread is off-topic to this forum. It is a defense forum. Not a civil engineering forum.!! Title is about new CEO, but you are NOT discussing the CEO..!! You are posting off-topic pictures of the building. Why not discuss the new CEO.!!

Try to be flexible with opinions, and comments. That's what the forums are for. Don't be like a kindergarten cry-baby whose lunch I snatched. :-)

...What do you call your very own post?
Holy crap boy, you have NO clue what I said. I was just answering your comment(before you edited it) & calling your thread off-topic was just to make my point. Didn't you read ""If" i take your approach..."

Last edited:
@sur

No need to pollute this thread with nonsense and something that has nothing to do with the topic.

This thread is about the Kingdom Tower in general. 80% of all the posts of PDF are not defense related. What do you call your very own post? I am sure regional news of this size that are fitting on this section are more interesting than your off-topic nonsense about shepherds and slaves!

Which shepherds or slaves are you talking about?

What is now the Arabian Peninsula built the first skyscrapers of the world long before the appearance of Islam and 1 of the seven wonders of the ancient world was even located in Yemen. The legendary Marib Dam.

The ancient Incense Road (the first real global trade route) made the ME and the Arabian Peninsula one of the most prosperous areas of the ancient world and ancient cities (the Paris') of the day were built in abundance although many have since disappeared or been forgotten until fairly recent excavations.

Incense Route - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Building infrastructural wonders was, is and will be a sign of power, wealth and prosperous rule. GCC being one of the richest areas on this planet is no different. This is a investment. Not only 1 skyscraper but a whole city and upland. This will create publicity, tourism, investments etc.

Of course simpletons do not understand all this and only see a skyscraper.

Building world's tallest tower to start in April
by Gavin Gibbon on Mar 26, 2014

Work to build the world’s first 1km-high building, the Kingdom Tower in Saudi Arabia, is set to begin on 27 April.

The $1.2bn (RM4bn) project has been plagued by setbacks since it was first proposed in 2011, but above-ground work on the Jeddah super skyscraper will commence next month.

The centerpiece and first construction phase of the Kingdom City development, located along the Red Sea on the north side of Jeddah, Kingdom Tower is designed to be over 1,000m tall (3,280ft), encompassing a total construction area of 530,000m2 (5.7mn ft2).

The building will have 200 floors in total, 160 of which are habitable. The slender structure will be more than three times bigger than Europe’s tallest building, The Shard, and will overtake the 828m Burj Khalifa in Dubai to become the tallest building in the world.

The complex will contain 59 elevators, including five double-deck elevators.

Designed by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, the tower is slated to reach completion over a timescale of 63 months. Foundation work began in December 2013.

Building world's tallest tower to start in April | ConstructionWeekOnline.com

lead_large.jpg

Construction on Saudi Arabia's Kingdom Tower, which will be one whopping, expense kilometer tall, is set to commence next week, according to local reports.

The Kingdom tower will measure 3,280 feet when completed, which stretches 568 feet taller than the current Guinness World Record holder for tallest man-made construction, the Burj Khalifa building in Dubai.

The building will dominate the skyline of the coastal town of Jeddah on the Red Sea. If you're afraid of heights, you'll definitely want to know the 200-story building will feature a massive 98-foot terrace jutting from the side of the 157th floor.

The Kingdom Tower won't come cheap. The cost is expected to be $1.23 billion. It will require 80,000 tons of steel and 5.7 million square feet of concrete. Here's a glimpse of how it stacks up.

BlmbVDpCMAAZCde.jpg

As we noted back in 2011, the Kingdom Tower will be build by the Bin Laden Group, which was started by Osama Bin Laden's father. At the time the project was announced, Prince Alwaleed said the tower was meant to "send a message of strength" about Saudi Arabia's economic and political stability.

Saudi Arabia Prepares to Build the World's Tallest Building - The Wire

congrats to Saudis if they are able to make it

I hope they also build some industries and increase exports in the manufacturing sector rather than solely relying upon the Petroleum and spending all that money in artificial projects

There is already a thread about this very, very old news:

The foundation pilling has already been done.

Kingdom Tower developer names new CEO

@WebMaster @Aeronaut @Oscar @nuclearpak @Jungibaaz @Manticore @Emmie

Instead of Kingdom they should named it Election.

You should also deal with this 4-5 times permanently banned user that has reappeared under a new name.

This trolls latest user was called @Best Land which got banned.

It is amazing that he is still allowed to troll on PDF.

congrats to Saudis if they are able to make it

I hope they also build some industries and increase exports in the manufacturing sector rather than solely relying upon the Petroleum and spending all that money in artificial projects

GCC States Economy & Development

The Kingdom Tower is connected to this ENORMOUS project.

KAEC to have 2m people, projects worth $100bn on completion: CEO

Saudi Arabia’s Six New Economic Cities

Last edited:
I am never impressed with these tiny efforts. As I repeatedly said earlier, for Oil Rich Saudi Arabia, anything below the super power or a major industrial hub of this world is a shame. They should have been Japan or China of this world if they were intelligently utilising the public resources.

PS: Nothing is always better than something so yes congrats for whatever you have achieved so far

There is already a thread about this very, very old news:

The foundation pilling has already been done.

Kingdom Tower developer names new CEO

@WebMaster @Aeronaut @Oscar @nuclearpak @Jungibaaz @Manticore @Emmie

You should also deal with this 4-5 times permanently banned user that has reappeared under a new name.

This trolls latest user was called @Best Land which got banned.

It is amazing that he is still allowed to troll on PDF.

GCC States Economy & Development

The Kingdom Tower is connected to this ENORMOUS project.

But what is all this good for when i can´t visit it? I enjoyed the Burj Chalifa very much last year and the Armani Hotel inside is simply awesome. I would like to visit Saudi Arabia too. But its very hard to do.

I am never impressed with these tiny efforts. As I repeatedly said earlier, for Oil Rich Saudi Arabia, anything below the super power or a major industrial hub of this world is a shame. They should have been Japan or China of this world if they were intelligently utilising the public resources.

PS: Nothing is always better than something so yes congrats for whatever you have achieved so far

If KSA had a population the size of Japan (130 million) or China (1.3 billion) then I would have agreed with you.

I added those two links:

But what is all this good for when i can´t visit it? I enjoyed the Burj Chalifa very much last year and the Armani Hotel inside is simply awesome. I would like to visit Saudi Arabia too. But its very hard to do.

By the time the Kingdom Tower is expected to be completed a real tourism sector will be established and the strict visa rules will be removed.

This will happen before 2022.

See this thread for more information:

Tourist visas to be introduced in KSA

Back
Top Bottom