What's new

World's largest oil and gas company to start 1900 meter deep offshore drilling project in Pakistan

That's actually the charm of an open forum isn't it?
browse the forum and you may find some interesting threads.
quite true, but wish it would either change its name or live up to its current one
this is exactly what pdf is suppose to be!
a place to blow off steam, what did you think?
it's the name that threw me, originally I thought it was something to do with Pakistan defense and promotion etc. but I know better now.
you thought we were some sort of parliamentary committee or what!
you must admit that the name and membership titles can be very deceptive at first glance

cheers

544180.png

looks almost official

Last edited:
Pm Imran khan mentioned it 2 times.
He said they are one of the largest gas reserves that would last for 50 years according to Exxon mobile and they would start in janurary and estimate about the total quantity till July.

How do we know what drilling method they will use to extract gas from shallow waters regions in Pakistan?

I don't think anyone has ever did a study or look at this yet from scientific community

Let Punit explain the problem

It is not a drilling method that has the potential of causing induced seismicity.

It is the resource you are extracting. Hydraulic fracturing through horizontal Multistaged wells is primarily used for tight unconventional reservoir rock often less than 0.1 mD.

I am sure about the type resource ExxonMobil is targeting offshore because of the statements made, their resource statements, and from the 3D seismic.nobody is saying they are going for shale offshore.

Offshore shale extraction would be highly uneconomical. There is onshore shale potential why would you drill a well 10 times the cost offshore?

Induced seismicity itself is not always the direct consequence of of the induced fracture. It is actually the increase in the pore pressure of naturally occuring basement faults that cause the fault to slip and induce a seismic event.

Yes it is true; Oklahoma and Texas have had an increase in induced seismicity due to hydraulic fracturing and deep disposal waste water wells. Its primarily due to their geology and the occurance of existing natural faults and not necessarily applicable to other jurisdictions.

Googling and YouTube videos is not going to help you here. Trust me.

Last edited:
:smokin: Need to be careful just saying ...:coffee:
Hey, it is offshore drilling deep drilling i.e. 1900m ~ 2 km so it is not shale and I believe shale gas is discovered on-shore and not in the ocean (my limited knowledge though)

if such oil and gas is found we need to improve navy as world powers will always try to get control of natural resources and our current navy is weak to deal with such threats

I believe shale gas is discovered on-shore

Not true. Shale is available offshore as well. It isn't pursued due to high costs versus the abundant onshore unconventionals. Shale is often the source rocknor the cap rock versus the reservoir rock in conversation oil and gas pools.

Pm Imran khan mentioned it 2 times.
He said they are one of the largest gas reserves that would last for 50 years according to Exxon mobile and they would start in janurary and estimate about the total quantity till July.
All deltas in world are high oil/gas production ateas ftom Nigeria to south America ...
so perspectives are high

Well, the best approach is to develop our own capacity for drilling the oil.

Not laughing matter if you are not sure what is Exon Mobile doing in your prime Fishing Zone

I give up. What you are talking about is surface casing gas migration. It isn't what exxonmExxo is doing here... Please stop YouTubing

scrap TAPI, who ever is trying to get this project through needs to be axed. Only invest in viable projects.

World's largest oil and gas company to start 1,900-meter deep offshore drilling project in Pakistan
2 Dec, 2018

world-s-largest-oil-and-gas-company-to-start-1900-km-long-offshore-drilling-project-in-pakistan-1543692905-2022.png

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Minister for petroleum Sarwar Khan has announced that ExxonMobil an American multinational oil and gas corporation would start a 1,900-meter deep offshore drilling, some 230 kilometers away from Karachi, in January next year (2019). He said that a drilling rig was on its way from Mozambique in this regard.

He said that the government was working on three gas pipelines which included Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI), IP and Russian offshore gas pipeline, adding that work on TAPI pipeline was on an advanced stage.

The minister added that the US has imposed new sanctions on Iran, however, 'we will take decision keeping in view our interest'.

He said that recently an Iranian technical team has visited Pakistan to discuss IP project. He said that Pakistan is willing to complete the gas pipeline as it needs energy.

Sarwar Khan expressing his views said that LNG contract signed by the previous Pakistani government and Qatar needs to be re-negotiated to ensure transparency.

Exxon Mobil has 25% interest while ENI is the operator.

Minister is either not well informed or reporter did not report properly.

Update: Eni charters Saipem 12000 for Pakistan drilling

Eni has chartered Saipem’s drillship ‘Saipem 12000″ for work in Pakistan for an undisclosed dayrate.

800px-saipem12000-1-664x498.jpg

Saipem 12000, Author: John A. Konrad V / Shared from Wikimedia Commons under CC BY-SA 3.0 license
The article has been updated with a statement from Saipem

According to the Norwegian rig brokers Bassoe Offshore, the contract, fixed on October 24, is for three months. Per Bassoe Analytics, the three-month contract is expected to start on December 1.

VesselsValue’s data also shows Eni has chartered the drillship, however, VV has a slightly different date. VV has the three-month contract starting on November 15, 2018.

Offshore Energy Today has reached out to both Eni and Saipem seeking more info on the reported contract and on the scope of work.

While Offshore Energy Today has yet to receive information on the work scope for the Saipem 12000, it might be that the rig will be used to drill in the offshore Indus G-Block.

Namely, according to a June 2018 article by Pakistan’s The News, a joint venture formed by Eni, Exxon, Oil and Gas Development Company (OGDC), and Pakistan Petroleum Limited are planning to spud the Kekra-1 exploration well in the block in January 2019, using an Eni-chartered drillship.

Marine Traffic shows Saipem 12000 as currently moored in Las Palmas. The vessel moved to Las Palmas following an unsuccessful drilling campaign in Morocco where Eni failed to find hydrocarbons in its Rabat well.

Prior to drilling in Morocco, Eni had used the drillship for operations in Cyprus, however, it opted to move the rig away from Cyprus after the Turkish navy had prevented it from drilling at the Block 3.

Update: October 29, 2018 , 12:02 pm CET

In an email sent to Offshore Energy Today Saipem has confirmed the deal with Eni.

A Saipem spokesperson said: “We can confirm that Saipem 12000 is working for Eni in Pakistan.”

The spokesperson did not provide details on the scope of work.

Offshore Energy Today Staff

https://www.offshoreenergytoday.com/report-eni-charters-sapiem-12000-for-pakistan-drilling/

The technical specifications are available on;

http://www.saipem.com/SAIPEM_en_IT/scheda/Vessels/Saipem+12000.page

Pakistanis are their own biggest enemy..
Even if something good is happening every Tom dick and Harry has to become a scientist and give their opinion.

Yes; He is completely off base here. The gas migration to base of fresh groundwater is not a possibility with offshore drilling as being pursued here.

I know this because i work in this industry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom