What's new

World's Greatest City: 50 reasons Mumbai is No. 1

Omar yaar please don't spoil the thread...................... they are cheering up let them be happy :agree:

btw i am stunned to see these pictures. I can't remember any this kind of slum area in Pakistan. Thats indeed is very poor

I feel sorry for the peoples and hope indian government do start some good projects to take care of these peoples :cry:

Zaki bhai,

These are all old pictures. In the past 10 years, 60 million Indians, most of them in Mumbai, have moved out slums.

Mumbai will be among world's productive cities: UN - India - ibnlive

Dharavi redevelopment --

hok_dharavi_book080605_cover_page_2.jpg

Government of India and Maharashtra have already started constructing low-cost high-rise apartments to rehabilitate slum-dwellers --

Dharavi redevelopment --

hok_dharavi_book080605_cover_page_2.jpg

Government of India and Maharashtra have already started constructing low-cost high-rise apartments to rehabilitate slum-dwellers --

Looks like a very well thought out of project facinating stuff we can learn from such projects, we might not have the level of crisis but organized development of large complex helps clean up the city the only problem I think will be sanatization of the larg appartment complex as the slum dwellers may not know how to keep their appartment sanatized and it could lead to some major major problems

Also a big risk is that of fire in such appartments as most of the slum dwellers use oil for heating their stoves corret me if I am wrong but ... never the less at least they will have chance to live with some dignity

but i did not understand one thing.

They are making flats for these poor peoples right? so are they going to get one flat for free or how are they going to pay it? i mean if they could afford obviously they not have been living in these shelters.

So after making these tall buildings how are they going to accomodate these peoples? any idea about their policy?

Thanks

but i did not understand one thing.

They are making flats for these poor peoples right? so are they going to get one flat for free or how are they going to pay it? i mean if they could afford obviously they not have been living in these shelters.

So after making these tall buildings how are they going to accomodate these peoples? any idea about their policy?

Thanks

Since people are so interested in Dharavi ,

Dharavi is more than just a slum , its a village in the heart of Mumbai with a n annual turnover of 700 million dollars

The most balanced view so far

http://current.com/groups/on-current-tv/88895057_a-new-world-class-city.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Best and Worst Place to Visit
by Kyle Arbaugh

Traveling is an important part of our society. It is important for people to explore the world and learn about differnt cultures. How ever it is important to be thrifty as to where you go, not everywhere is nirvana.

Worst Place to Visit: Mumbai, Maharashtra – India

dharavi-industry-615.jpg

The traffic never stops and the honking horns are continuous. However, noise is not the problem. People crowd into alleys and mazes of roads. One might draw a connection between Mumbai and New York City. But New York City is Nirvana compared to this city. As many as 20,000 people will crowd into a single acre of land. 60% of Mumbai’s population of 13 million is made up of slum dwellers, which nearly equates to 8 million slum dwellers. Although I have listened Mumbai as the worst place in the world to visit, I encourage you to go and see how the people there live. Before you start to complain about your small apartment try sharing a 300 square foot dwelling with a dozen other people. Mumbai came to be two centuries ago when mangrove swamp began to fill with leaves, dead fish, and human and animal waste products. When the fisherman moved out room became available for others to live. Only recently did water become available to the dwellers. Many have tapped into a water supply by the means of DIY. This slum resembles the spiritual values of an inner Harlem and visually resembles that of Mexico’s Neza-Chalco-Itza barrio slum. If you do travel to Mumbai please take caution as to what you eat and drink. If possible, bring an entourage of doctors and medical marvels.

Best Place to Visit: Florence, Tuscany – Italy

Keep reading at:
Best and Worst Place to Visit | Trifter

And your Adnan Sami refuses to leave this city also so i wont be talking if I were you. I have been to a lot of places but really there is no City like Mumbai. The vibe and nightlife simple does not exist anywhere.

No offense but a friend of mine who visited mumbai told me how bad the traffic,piles of garbage etc not the best place to live also why are indian cities so darn packed?
Anyways the pics are good.Thankls for sharing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let me say one thing, there is a reason why Mumbai is number one , same reason there are so many slums.

Its money and opportunity , that;s what Mumbai has always been , why there are so many slums, people want to come to Mumbai , they want to be Mumbaikars , And sadly not everyone can make it. That is why we have the slums and as a result poor infrastructure.

But you that is just saw one side of Mumbai , you want to see the extream opposite in Mumbai ?

Will the poor resent it? Possibly. But you can also say he’s dumping a billion back into the economy as well as providing 600 full time jobs on a permanent basis.

That is Mumbai , at the very top and at the very bottom
As a city its potential is vast , it has huge problems with housing many of it residents. But when a successful solution is found things can only go to the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
And your Adnan Sami refuses to leave this city also so i wont be talking if I were you. I have been to a lot of places but really there is no City like Mumbai. The vibe and nightlife simple does not exist anywhere.

Adnan Sami is Canadian :D

are these really reasons to be called a World number 1?

How would you feel if i say my city Gujrat is number city in the world that is because

1) There are Holy Shrines
2) There are mosques
3) Chaudry Shujaat Hussain is from Gujrat :rofl:
4) I am from Gujrat
5) The sweets of Gujrat are very tasty :lol:

are these worth mentioning reasons? :rofl: i don't care whatever city you name it world's number but there must be some geniune reasons :D

Great analysis, at least he has put some effort in to his belief that Mumbai is the best.

In my not so humble Opinion, Mumbai really sucks, especially if you belong to cities and towns where you have spacious houses and roads.

Back
Top Bottom