What's new

Work harder to beat the Bangalore ,Beijing challenge: Obama to students

I'd also like to add that the "ranking" of schools is pointless for science and engineering undergraduate.

The worst PhD is already far superior to any undergraduate student that hasn't even graduated yet. A harvard PhD may be better than one from say, the Nigerian School of Forestry. however both are far superior to any undergraduate, so it doesn't matter who teaches them, the undergrads will learn the same thing since their ability to judge the PhD's ability is itself limited. A student may laugh at his analytical chemistry teacher who messes up while using the HPLC once, but who will mess up more on average while working alone, a PhD with years of experience using and interpreting HPLC results, or a bachelors who took 1 course in analytical chemistry and got to use a HPLC for about 3 hours?

many Indians claiming about the supremacy of their education systems. Just a glance:

1) our system has produced the largest number of scientists in the world and the highest number of patents
2) I worked with Indian students and I can tell you their ethics regarding the class and tests are one of the lowest (I dont know if you are not taught about "quoting the source" but almost all the Indians calim they never did that in India)
3) the bachelors degree awarded by a second rung university is probably comparable to the best of your universities. To put it more bluntly, apart from the top range of universities in India (even in Pakistan and other coutries), the other universities simply do not churn out quality engineers or graduates. (this is a very well verified fact and everyone trying to decide admissions in US universities has an idea of it)

this is not to show you down or anything like that. It is just to show that there is a long way to go before your institutions mature. Many US universities have been around for more than a century. Surely their courses, methodologies etc have evolved since then and hence are much better placed.

All countries should complement each other and find a mutually beneficial path.

I find America bashing very hateful in this forum. An average american is facing unemployment right now and all he can see is lot of outsourcing. Still there are no fanatics or rallies going on to the extent that might be going on your countries. WE are only finding fault with ourselves and making us more competitive.

May the best man win.

a simple glance at the positions held in your industry and technology related applications field by Indian immigrants educated solely in India will disclose everything you need to know about the capabilities of indian students .....btw as far as ethics go .....you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.....the humility of Indian students have been appreciated for over 150 years even by the hardcore british bigots of 1850's.....one or two stray examples can never be used to generalize a vast majority.........

and as regards the bold part as far as brains and hard work go ....the best man is apparently winning.....winning as American immigrants as 1960's and 1970's .....and now winning as resident Indians in their own country.....its a good thing your president is extolling our virtues and exhorting you to stop being that complacent and strive to realistically give us some competition.....

with all your innovative teaching methods and fancy ideas you still lack the fundamentals.....i.e the determination and drive to do well against overwhelming competition......regards......

Please do go through the syllabus for 9th grade ICSE. it has me shocked as well..we teach our ninth graders OOPs concepts :eek:
No wonder I feel dumb in front of the new generation:D

India has ICSE, CBSE, State Boards and maybe some others .. so looks like Newton's laws are taught in detail at 9th grade but I'm sure students are made familiar with them at an earlier class or depending on the board's curriculum..they may be taught earlier as well.

http://www.cisce.org/data/Syllabus%20for ICSE 2011/Physics.pdf

http://www.cisce.org/data/Syllabus for ICSE 2011/Computer Applications.pdf

I studied Newtons Law in 9th grade in Bangladesh, dont know how it is now. As far as OOP concept goes, I also don't know how it is in Bangladesh.

a simple glance at the positions held in your industry and technology related applications field by Indian immigrants educated solely in India will disclose everything you need to know about the capabilities of indian students .....btw as far as ethics go .....you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.....the humility of Indian students have been appreciated for over 150 years even by the hardcore british bigots of 1850's.....one or two stray examples can never be used to generalize a vast majority.........

and as regards the bold part as far as brains and hard work go ....the best man is apparently winning.....winning as American immigrants as 1960's and 1970's .....and now winning as resident Indians in their own country.....its a good thing your president is extolling our virtues and exhorting you to stop being that complacent and strive to realistically give us some competition.....

with all your innovative teaching methods and fancy ideas you still lack the fundamentals.....i.e the determination and drive to do well against overwhelming competition......regards......

how come those "industry and technology" companies are here in USA? IBM, NASA, APPLE, MICROSOFT, GOOGLE, YAHOO.. i mean, the list is literally endless. of course.. DEFENCE.

institutes around the world have a lot of catching up to do. Dont compare the best of your universities to ours (most of the top positions coming in from India/China etc come from top univs). Compare the "average" to "average". Then am sure the difference will be enough for you to understand what I am saying.

we want to get more indians because they are "cheap skilled labor" for the same reason why manufacturing went to china. not that they are exceptionally good at it (they are darn good.. but not . exceptional) but they are cheap. Makes economic sense.

All research insititutes are in India/China/HK to tap the low wages for the skilled scientist.

lastly : the brains are equal everywhere. The universities are better in USA simply because of the time and effort and money put into the "average" educational system. The average child (of USA) these days may not be as hardworking as the Indians are but that is because kids here are on "assured basic necessities". Give them a run for their money they wont stay far behind.

again. do not compare the top univs in your country. compare the average ones.

lets make better place of this forum and the world.

how come those "industry and technology" companies are here in USA? IBM, NASA, APPLE, MICROSOFT, GOOGLE, YAHOO.. i mean, the list is literally endless. of course.. DEFENCE.

institutes around the world have a lot of catching up to do. Dont compare the best of your universities to ours (most of the top positions coming in from India/China etc come from top univs). Compare the "average" to "average". Then am sure the difference will be enough for you to understand what I am saying.

you seem to be jumping to several fallacious conclusions all at once....

let me attempt to correct a few of them....

1.) the companies you mentioned are based in the U.S simply because they were developed from scratch about 4-5 decades before by americans.....its no coincidence that the concentration of wealth and the enormous amount of monetary investment in the U.S education system has yielded tremendous dividends.....my issue is not with your exceptional facilities but with your contention that our
education system produces substandard scholars lacking in merit and capability
2) besides what we lack in money we make up for ten times over in skilled man power and human resource......with a buoyant economy resulting in us being able to preserve the best brains of our gen in the country ......the world would see our innovative prowess only too soon..... and here is a field not even the mighty U.S can catch up with us in.......

we want to get more indians because they are "cheap skilled labor" for the same reason why manufacturing went to china. not that they are exceptionally good at it (they are darn good.. but not . exceptional) but they are cheap. Makes economic sense.

All research insititutes are in India/China/HK to tap the low wages for the skilled scientist.

a red herring for sure......
no blue collar job can be equated to serious brain cell burning research sir......you could do all the manufacturing you wanted in the U.S itself abeit at a much higher wage....and so as you put it makes "economic sense"......

we offer something completely different.....all your technical workers draw a complete blank compared to Indians and their software,management and engineering knowladge ( blame your education system for a complete lack of interest in technical fields among your kids) you do not export to us with your minds on cost but on capability......this is a field whether you choose to admit it or not is something we are EXCEPTIONALLY good at....

lastly : the brains are equal everywhere. The universities are better in USA simply because of the time and effort and money put into the "average" educational system. The average child (of USA) these days may not be as hardworking as the Indians are but that is because kids here are on "assured basic necessities". Give them a run for their money they wont stay far behind.

lets make better place of this forum and the world

Universities are better in the U.S solely in terms of infrastructure and facilities provided.....never in terms of the STUDENT FRATERNITY....which in my eyes is what really counts.....

regards the bold part ....at last something we seem to be agreeing on though I would like to point out that "The future" can be quite unpredictable.....our population growth and subsequently our competition rate seems to only intensify with every passing year while the so called "assurance" of basic necessities for american students appears to remain the same .........

hence only a die hard optimist would really hope for any american student to counter the razor sharp survival instincts of Indian ones in the fast paced academic life.....requires tremendous multitasking and adaptability ......regards........

lets make better place of this forum and the world.

IBM's PC division got bought out by Lenovo. Why are you focused on computer companies? This shows your education, how you associate computer with high tech, when nothing can be further from the truth. In terms of patents, there is no US company in the world (or any other company except Panasonic) that can compete with Huawei. What did you graduate with, a degree in some useless field like art history or english literature?

Back
Top Bottom