What's new

Won’t apologise or withdraw charges against Devyani: US

But India will keep reminding USA about containing China, as in, "Is this nanny really worth damaging your China-containment strategy?"

US know full well China and India still have border dispute, US will use this card to get India on her side, just like any other nations want to take an advantage of the situation, China post the most challenging to US dominant in Asia as a whole, US wish China be in US camp, therefore one less nations to challenge US foreign policy in this world as a whole. China as big as US more population, of course China don't to be 2nd fiddle to US on anything within the sphere of influence in Asia region, US well establish power in Asia won't allow China to vet it away from US hand.

You Chinese?

What Chinese have to do with my question?

That's absolutely right.

That's the issue (and the tiny matter of lying on visa application).

I am pointing about the embassy staff, not the nanny who works for embassy staff.

Now let's say for example three Pakistan Administrative officers join the service in same year and one works in country and the other one goes to US and the third one goes to Ghana. OK, now what will be their respective salary?

US clarified no rolling back of charges, what india going to do? another tamper tantrum?

I am pointing about the embassy staff, not the nanny who works for embassy staff.

Now let's say for example three Pakistan Administrative officers join the service in same year and one works in country and the other one goes to US and the third one goes to Ghana. OK, now what will be their respective salary?

Whatever salary is paid would have to comply with local laws. Most salaries would be above minimum wage anyway.

Won't apologise or withdraw charges against Devyani: US | Firstpost

Washington: The United States has ruled out acceding to either of the two Indian demands - withdrawal of charges against its diplomat Devyani Khobragade, and an apology for alleged mistreatment, after her arrest in New York last week.

"We take these allegations very seriously. We're not in any way walking back from those allegations or the charges. Again, this is really a law enforcement issue," the State Department spokesperson, Marie Harf said.

"No," she said when asked if Khobragade would go "scott free" and US courts would be asked to drop the charges.

Refuting that charges against the diplomat could be dropped, she said:"I don't know the details of the complaint, and I don't know if even withdrawing the complaint, which I'm not saying anybody is considering would, in fact, drop the charge. That's not something that's even being considered."

"We certainly take these types of allegations very seriously though. It's not a decision for us whether to prosecute or not," Harf said.

She said that the US informs annually every country having diplomats there through diplomatic notes about "obligations they have for their staffs when they bring them to the United States."

"We make those obligations very clear and we take any allegations that they haven't done so very seriously. So certainly, there's no discussion like that going on. We just want the process to move forward," she added.

She refused to distance the State Department from alleged highly rhetorical statement of Preet Bharara, the US prosecutor handling the case, as was being reported from India.

The report came following the telephonic conversation between the Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, Wendy Sherman, and India's Foreign Secretary, Sujatha Singh.

Contradicting Salman Khurshid's statement, Harf said no telephonic conversations between him and John Kerry was planned and nothing is scheduled as of now. "No plans (for Kerry) to (call Khurshid)," she said in response to a question.

"I mean, he (Kerry) always open to, but I think there was some misreporting out there today that he maybe was planning to, and that's just not the case," she said.

Khurshid in media interview in Delhi was quoted as saying that he was scheduled to have call with Kerry.

Kerry is on year-end family vacation and would return to Washington after holidays, she said.

Awesome Job USA! Kudos To The NYAG!

Whatever salary is paid would have to comply with local laws. Most salaries would be above minimum wage anyway.

OK, then if the minimum wages in Pakistan would be 10 then in USA it is 100 and in Ghana it would be 1 depending on the finance of one country. So Why would the person posted to Ghana will ever want to go there. Of all the countries foreign staff will all want to work in US or Japan.

My friend the salary structure does not work this way as you think. The salary of every staff are same for a particular country. Apart from that they get allowances for different category depending on a index prepared by the parent country for different countries. I.e allownces will bedifferent for US, UK, China or Japan where the staff will be posted.

But in this case this was a nanny who was not a staff, right. That's the argument that DA is making taking into account the minimum wages clause.

Now that the Govt. will convert all the nannies/helps in to Govt. employees the minimum wage clause will not apply to them. Of course the minimum wage clause will be applied on basis of the parent country. Is that clear?

Of all the countries foreign staff will all want to work in US or Japan.

It's not their choice where they get posted. If they don't like it, they can resign or pull strings or whatever...

My friend the salary structure does not work this way as you think. The salary of every staff are same for a particular country. Apart from that they get allowances for different category depending on a index prepared by the parent country for different countries. I.e allownces will bedifferent for US, UK, China or Japan where the staff will be posted.

But in this case this was a nanny who was not a staff, right. That's the argument that DA is making taking into account the minimum wages clause.

Now that the Govt. will convert all the nannies/helps in to Govt. employees the minimum wage clause will not apply to them. Of course the minimum wage clause will be applied on basis of the parent country. Is that clear?

You are right there may be some creative loopholes in the salary setup, but the NY authorities and US State department clearly feel they have a basis for prosecution.

It's not their choice where they get posted. If they don't like it, they can resign or pull strings or whatever...

You are right there may be some creative loopholes in the salary setup, but the NY authorities and US State department clearly feel they have a basis for prosecution.

OK, then let them fight it out in the court. Let us wait till the verdict then. Remember whatever the verdict will, it will affect all the countries that have Embassy in US, not only India. So much is at stake including your country also!!

OK, then let them fight it out in the court. Let us wait till the verdict then. Remember whatever the verdict will, it will affect all the countries that have Embassy in US, not only India. So much is at stake including your country also!!

But India doesn't want to fight it out. India wants all charges dropped and the investigation terminated.

Indian are being stupid now, lets the law take its course and settle it in private, if India goes public and try to humiliate US then india will have red face in the end

But India doesn't want to fight it out. India wants all charges dropped and the investigation terminated.

India is super power, US need to toil her line of demand, or else US will bear the brunch of wrath from India retaliation, Obama need to be on his knee and Apologize for offending India and drop all charge like a good ole boy.

Indian MEA had been pursuing this matter (of wages to the domestic staff in consulates) since the case of Neena Malhotra. After the new system is implemented, this kind of situation will not arise.

India is super power, US need to toil her line of demand, or else US will bear the brunch of wrath from India retaliation, Obama need to be on his knee and Apologize for offending India and drop all charge like a good ole boy.

I think US will back down. Not because it fears India, but it is courting India in a larger context.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom