Women in the Indian Armed Forces Picture thread

mirage2K

Reaction score
Country
India
BSF
bid123136bsf09112903345.jpg

^^
How come the soldier above is wearing the maroon beret? Is she parachute qualified?

The wing she wears on her chest indicates she is.

Very surprising. Does the parachute regiment recruit women? If not, what unit could she possibly belong to? What is the maroon tab on her shoulder (the top one)?

Very surprising. Does the parachute regiment recruit women? If not, what unit could she possibly belong to? What is the maroon tab on her shoulder (the top one)?

The lady is not from the Paras.

She is wearing a SFF badge on her head and shoulder titles.

^^
How come the soldier above is wearing the maroon beret? Is she parachute qualified?

The wing she wears on her chest indicates she is.

The IA has many airborne qualified wings outside of the PARAs. Shed could be part of AMC,Signals, intel etc. In an IA career many non-PARAs have the oppurtunity to take a Airborne-qualification course.

But, no, there is no way she belongs to the PARA regmt- they are a 100% male force.

The lady is not from the Paras.

She is wearing a SFF badge on her head and shoulder titles.

Even more surprising, since the SFF is fully parachute qualified, and in many ways, more skilled (in special ops, reconnaissance etc) than regular para units (not the para commandos).

Anyway, with a bit of searching, I learnt the occasion of the pic. It is the then defence minister congratulating the women's mountaineering team of the Indian army, which created history on 02 June 2005 by becoming the first women's expedition to scale Mount Everest from the Chinese side, through the North Col Route.

If the SFF has women, it isn't surprising that some of them were part of the team - mountaineering is meat and drinks for the boys (and clearly, girls) of the special frontier force. Unconventional and covert operations in the mountains is what puts the "Special" in SFF.

I request everyone posting pics to put an explanation too, like what unit they belong to or what the occasion is. Otherwise, we could simply use google images to gape at pics of women in uniform, there is no need for a thread on this forum.

Even more surprising, since the SFF is fully parachute qualified, and in many ways, more skilled (in special ops, reconnaissance etc) than regular para units (not the para commandos).

Anyway, with a bit of searching, I learnt the occasion of the pic. It is the then defence minister congratulating the women's mountaineering team of the Indian army, which created history on 02 June 2005 by becoming the first women's expedition to scale Mount Everest from the Chinese side, through the North Col Route.

If the SFF has women, it isn't surprising that some of them were part of the team - mountaineering is meat and drinks for the boys (and clearly, girls) of the special frontier force. Unconventional and covert operations in the mountains is what puts the "Special" in SFF.

I request everyone posting pics to put an explanation too, like what unit they belong to or what the occasion is. Otherwise, we could simply use google images to gape at pics of women in uniform, there is no need for a thread on this forum.

Women in SFF are in support roles, they aren't combatants.

Women in SFF are in support roles, they aren't combatants.

That's true of the entire Indian armed forces. But then, they are fully trained in military free fall of all kinds, and have to give combat support in harsh conditions. If they are in the SFF, I am sure they will be undergoing some of the toughest training anywhere. If they come under attack, they are expected to pick up the gun and fight. The maroon beret is never given on a platter, it is earned through toil and sweat. So lets not take anything away from them - they are risking their lives to keep us safe.

Women in combat is a very very bad idea man. As they are in many other industries and occupations.

Sometimes (more often than not) nowadays we go too far with this political correctness BS.

That's true of the entire Indian armed forces. But then, they are fully trained in military free fall of all kinds, and have to give combat support in harsh conditions. If they are in the SFF, I am sure they will be undergoing some of the toughest training anywhere. If they come under attack, they are expected to pick up the gun and fight. The maroon beret is never given on a platter, it is earned through toil and sweat. So lets not take anything away from them - they are risking their lives to keep us safe.

Mate I'm not trying to take anything away from her or her collugues I am just stating a fact.

There are some doubts by posters as to who that lady is. In this pic you see the ex Indian Defence Minister, Pranab Mukherjee shaking hands with members of the Army Women Everest Expedition-2005 team as then Army Chief, J. J. Singh looks on during the flag-in ceremony in New Delhi, 23 June 2005.

The lady in question is none other than paratrooper Dechen Lhamo from the Special Frontier Force, which comprises Tibetan refugees, and is the only Army establishment to have woman combatants.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom