What's new

Without consent: how drugs companies exploit Indian 'guinea pigs'

i dont think so its ethical because if they get punishment from court then after that you can not use them for drug trials without their consent . criminals are also human beings .... May be someone here can better shed light on this ?

Drug testing is at times necessary for saving millions of lives. Better do it on scum like ajmal kasab and afzal guru than on poor unsuspecting individuals whom ajmal kasab would happily mow down with an ak47 if given a chance.

I don't see whats unethical as long as one does not harbor sympathies for such scum.

Agree with you on this. There cannot and should not be any test without conscent. Besides, any such test will not be considered valid and acceptable for the purpose of a scientific study.
because after trials when you try to publish your research paper it can be rejected on ethical grounds ....
Even we doctor can not inject a simple drug without the consent of patient even we can not touch him without his permission .....

Drug testing is at times necessary for saving millions of lives. Better do it on scum like ajmal kasab and afzal guru than on poor unsuspecting individuals whom ajmal kasab would happily mow down with an ak47 if given a chance.

I don't see whats unethical as long as one does not harbor sympathies for such scum.
may be you are right at your place but for a doctor all people are same ..... he dont care to whom he treating he has to treat criminals and a normal person with same protocol and this applies to drug trials too .... but i am not ethic expert ... i am telling this on the basis of my knowledge i may be wrong

I am a Pharmaceutical Research scientist at Wockhardt Research centre. I think I can post somethingreal in this thread.

I have went through the thread and found that doctors are being blamed rather than Pharma company. Let me tell you the truth, Medico person does not know anything related to drug. They just know the Indication of the drug. Its the chemist and drugist that know the in and out of that drug.

Now very truthly many members have pointed out that Indian peoples have been treated as Guina Pigs in these clinical trials. Now the question arises why??
The large western companies outsource their Phase 2 trials in India. The reason for this is availability of Large numbers of CROs (having large number of technical Manpower Including docs, Pharmacologist and Bio-analyst.). The competition is so huge that the copany that offers cheapest cost for CT (Clinical trials) get the contract for the same. Money is not god, but nothing less than god, hence for earning many have opted as regular volunteers for these studies. During Phase 2 trials many illitrate peoples from villages are lured to earn more and brought for these studies. But rarely die of a toxicity related adverse effect.

Those who die are either from HIV+ve category for anti AIDS drugs, or cancer patients and die mostly due to anti neoplastic (anti-cancer) drugs.

Its very hard on the families of these volunteers and volunteers themselves. But can't do anything due to less effective regulations. A bitter truth is our government is not reluctant to bring such regulation DCGI have started just few days back an exercise to controll such CTs.

By the wayBio Equivalence studies of Indian Companies have rarely experinced dead of its volunteers. And never in My organizaton of Wockhardt..

regards

Back
Top Bottom