What's new

Without consent: how drugs companies exploit Indian 'guinea pigs'

Errr...Clinical drug trials happen in the United States too;fact of the matter is if you pay up people will show up,just that in India the Pharma(both foreign and domestic) corps can get away with it minus the legal ramifications.

Absolutely rite !!! We need strong legal framework protecting those participating in Clinical trials.

usually the multinational pharmaceutical companies do their drug trials on people of poor nation specially in African countries so that they cant get caught and they even dont have to spend enough money and people are not educated and they can easily make fool of them

Honestly speaking there is no value of l

Yaar a life of an American child or Pakistani or Indian child should and is the same. I dont know enough about the health structure in India but someone must be held answerable in sweeping this under the carpet.

The thing what I really wanted to say that who will question?? as the poor are themselves ready to take such a risk for money , Is there any law in any country which prohibits companies to do this??

The thing what I really wanted to say that who will question?? as the poor are themselves ready to take such a risk for money , Is there any law in any country which prohibits companies to do this??

Its "the law of morals and ethics". Back in the seventies Members of Parliament used to be put on boards of large pharmaceutical chains GlaxoSmithKline JUST so their ethics wouldn't be brought up in Parliament and create difficulty. They in other words were paying for things to be kept quiet.
It probably needs media attention and a couple of quality politicians to stop the greed. I believe no risk is worth a life but their again brother i don't have the experience and have loved ones starving at home. I dread to think if i had to make the choice - most of us would pray we never have to make a decision like that.

Some of the comments left by the readers indeed drive the point home.
Man's inhumanity to man.
Anyone who has been to India, and seen the mass deprivation, with rich cities full of millions of people begging for something to live on, will know that the Government of this newly rich nation, has no concern at all for the poor.
It is no better now than under the British Raj, except that the ones pillaging the Country are the richest 1% instead of the Brits

There are lot of contradictory statements in this article I can't fully believe this article wic lacking details. Some doctors dng unethical things for that u can't blame entire clinical trials. It not only happens in India but also in majority of asian and African countries.

Families in soaps do not reflect an avg Indian family. If u start generalizing a whole country based on TV series. then dont whine when ppl generalize ur whole societ based on few crazy SOBs in ur country.

This shows how stupid u r !!! Taking cheap shots against a community under religious garb may be ur mentality or may be ur upbringing but that definitely is not ours..

The funny thing is that these soaps show India in a 'good light', not the abject conditions the average Indian lives in.

Errr...Clinical drug trials happen in the United States too;fact of the matter is if you pay up people will show up,just that in India the Pharma(both foreign and domestic) corps can get away with it minus the legal ramifications.

Yep they just need to close the legal loopholes.

Here's some data from America,

In 2006, of the total number of people completing clinical trials, 775,000 people participated in government funded clinical trials, 880,000 participated in industry funded clinical trials (phases I-III) and 750,000 people participated in industry funded clinical trials (phase IV). (CISCRP - Center for Information & Study on Clinical Research Participation)

Clinical Trial Facts & Figures - CISCRP - Center for Information & Study on Clinical Research Participation

these trial can not be done without proper consent of Patient and patients must be compensated if something went wrong

these trial can not be done without proper consent of Patient and patients must be compensated if something went wrong

How do you compensate a life bro? Its a sad situation. Hopefully attention brought to this kind of thing will bring it to authorities attention

How do you compensate a life bro? Its a sad situation. Hopefully attention brought to this kind of thing will bring it to authorities attention
no one can compensate for life but after trials on animals and lot of research till it is proved safe in animals then you can start trial on human which is necessary before launching any drug on full scale in market ...... there should be a proper protocol for this and there should be proper law for this and without the consent of patient it can not be carried out ..
may be i am wrong .. correct me if i am

Doctor,
everything can be bought in this world !!!

You are a doctor and you seem to be a humanist doctor

And about getting justice
Google Bhopal Gas tragedy ..
Who suffered ? Who is absconding ?
Nothing is fair in this world..

I gave you an Indian example
It happens everywhere.. Most people if not everyone can be bought

Doctor,
everything can be bought in this world !!!

You are a doctor and you seem to be a humanist doctor

And about getting justice
Google Bhopal Gas tragedy ..
Who suffered ? Who is absconding ?
Nothing is fair in this world..

I gave you an Indian example
It happens everywhere.. Most people if not everyone can be bought
if someone sell himself then he has to face the consequences ......... it our moral values and self consciousness that ask us to do justice with ourself and with society ... everyone has his role in society if we perform our role honestly then i think we did our part

if someone sell himself then he has to face the consequences ......... it our moral values and self consciousness that ask us to do justice with ourself and with society ... everyone has his role in society if we perform our role honestly then i think we did our part

Very idealistic concept doctor !!!
I have to a lot of places doctor and i have found that humans are inherently selfish !!!!

Greed over conscience is the easiet way to pleasure
And poeple always want short cut

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom