What's new

With friends like the US, Pakistan doesn't need enemies

"The Pakistani parliament's acceptance or rejection of the bill, as being discussed currently, has no constitutional impact on the GoP's decision to accept or reject the aid, though Gillani has indicated that he wants a consensus in parliament on it."

A simple majority wouldn't necessarily be consensus unless overwhelming. I don't understand how it can be accepted by the GoP without parliament ratification but I'm no expert on many things, to include your laws and legal processes.

And the military? What input do you anticipate there?[/
QUOTE]

the military made a error by publicily voicing its opposition - it will now play behind the scenes when it feels there is intrusion in its affairs like promotions - they will also send messages through the pentagon with whom relations remain good!

"...it will now play behind the scenes when it feels there is intrusion in its affairs like promotions..."

Really?

Do you know that my commission as a second lieutenant was actually confirmed by an act of congress?

Do you know that promotions to general still require confirmation in our Senate?

Do you think that your civilian government should be able to do similarly?

Thanks.

"...it will now play behind the scenes when it feels there is intrusion in its affairs like promotions..."

Really?

Do you know that my commission as a second lieutenant was actually confirmed by an act of congress?

Do you know that promotions to general still require confirmation in our Senate?

Thanks.

No more BS of moral values. Congress has already become a rubber stamp; senate has already become a house of cronies. If you insist, consider put Cheney and Rumsfeld to sleep, throw Bush in jail, get rid of the jew reserve. Then we can talk about moral values.

Really?

Thanks.

different strokes for different folks laddie.

yes they do for generals being appointed as CoAS - all other promotions are taken care by the armed forces promotions board!

one system dosnt and shouldnt work for all ! - and this is now leading to different philosophical viewpoints!

"...all other promotions are taken care by the armed forces promotions board!"

The U.S. Congress no longer confirms company-grade commissions by an act. Mine was among the last. Nor do they extend oversight to company and field-grade promotions (through full colonel).

Generals from Brigadier up, yeah.

Really?

Thanks.
I agree with FM's response to your post.

Pakistan's current political landscape is not a good recipient for a complete transplant of the system pursued in the US.

Past experience overwhelmingly shows that every institution that has had the elected politicians involved in career advancement and planning has failed miserably - with cronies, lackeys and sycophats appointed galore, and then massive reshuffles everytime a new government comes in to accomodate their own favorites, destroying continuity.

There is a similar objection to shifting control of the ISI to under the Interiror Minister instead of the Prime Minister, and allowing a civilian DG ISI to be appointed by the politicians. Given past precendent where even the military led ISI has been used for political purposes by the politicians/leadership, a government appointed DG ISI is a recipe for disaster as the opposition, media and and any others who oppose the incumbent regime are targetted with ISI resources.

Setting up DG ISI appointments, or military appointments of say general and above, through a committee in parliament composed equally of opposition and government legislators might be a good way to impose checks and balances, but so far we have not seen the political leadership willing to share power and responsibility in that manner.

" It has come quite clear to me that every homosapient life span on earth is limited."

I fear you've then reached a poorly-grounded conclusion as, while our lives are indeed limited, none know with absolute clarity when the final bell shall toll.

To that end, we all should amass all that may be necessary to see us through until such time.

Have you been invested with divine insight also?

"Those who can, never teach. Because they are too busy."

Uh huh. Like perhaps Albert Einstein. You know, a former proud member of our jew reserve.:rolleyes:

Thanks.:usflag:

Last edited:
" It has come quite clear to me that every homosapient life span on earth is limited."

I fear you've then reached a poorly-grounded conclusion as, while are lives are indeed limited, none know with absolute clarity when the final bell shall toll.

To that end, we all should amass all that may be necessary to see us through until such time.

Have you been invested with divine insight also?

"Those who can, never teach. Because they are too busy."

Uh huh. Like perhaps Albert Einstein. You know, a former proud member of our jew reserve.:rolleyes:

Actually no. My father buried his father and moved on. I buried my father and move on.

I post in some other threads and it's quite clear I am not a fan of Albert Einstein. I personally regard Fourier and Taylor contributed more to people. Albert Einstein is big because civilians see nukes are big.

"I buried my father and move on."

Without divine insight to your final demise? Yet you have no need for further learning.

You are here, then, to pass onto our collective mass your accumulated wisdom?

How fortunate for us!

"...it's quite clear I am not a fan of Albert Einstein..."

No doubt.

"Albert Einstein is big because civilians see nukes are big."

Now THAT is an insight if also a gross oversimplification of his sum contributions. Not necessarily an insight to civilians but certainly revealing to the limits of your perspective.

"I buried my father and move on."

Without divine insight to your final demise? Yet you have no need for further learning.

You are here, then, to pass onto our collective mass your accumulated wisdom?

How fortunate for us!

"...it's quite clear I am not a fan of Albert Einstein..."

No doubt.

"Albert Einstein is big because civilians see nukes are big."

Now THAT is an insight if also a gross oversimplification of his sum contributions. Not necessarily an insight to civilians but certainly revealing to the limits of your perspective.

No, never thought about. And I don't think it's a big deal. Things come and gone in well-recorded Chinese history books. If you find out something else, you let me know.

Obviously it's a forum. Everyone is certainly here entitled to his/her own opinions and wish to know others opinions too. I you keep this accusation style of conversation, our conversation is over.

If Albert Einstein didn't do it, someone else will. Civilization advancement doesn't stop if there is no Albert Einstein.

I agree with FM's response to your post.

Pakistan's current political landscape is not a good recipient for a complete transplant of the system pursued in the US.

Past experience overwhelmingly shows that every institution that has had the elected politicians involved in career advancement and planning has failed miserably - with cronies, lackeys and sycophats appointed galore, and then massive reshuffles everytime a new government comes in to accomodate their own favorites, destroying continuity.

There is a similar objection to shifting control of the ISI to under the Interiror Minister instead of the Prime Minister, and allowing a civilian DG ISI to be appointed by the politicians. Given past precendent where even the military led ISI has been used for political purposes by the politicians/leadership, a government appointed DG ISI is a recipe for disaster as the opposition, media and and any others who oppose the incumbent regime are targetted with ISI resources.

Setting up DG ISI appointments, or military appointments of say general and above, through a committee in parliament composed equally of opposition and government legislators might be a good way to impose checks and balances, but so far we have not seen the political leadership willing to share power and responsibility in that manner.

ZABhutto appointed Zia over 5-6 more competent and professional generals (and look what happened)

NSharif appointed Gen Musharraf over more competent and professional generals (and look what happened)....and then he throws him (Gen Musharraf) out while he is in the air and appoints a "lackey" Gen Ziauddin (who looks/ed like a General out of one of those s/american bannana republics)

....and the list goes on!!!

they (the civilians) dont possess the "capability and competence" to judge - they think appointing a SHO* and a CoAS requires the same skill-set.

SHO - (Police officer of a precient)

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom