What's new

With eye on exports, Tejas on display in Bahrain air show

nope you have not, you gave your perspective, i gave my concern. SAAB has license arrangements with GE for Gripen under RM-12. Even the 414 version will be manufactured under license by SAAB. HAL has no such arrangement, it is well known.

Lets wait for the day when it is allowed to be exported with a GE engine.

India has completed a deal for 99 General Electric F414 engines, the powerplant for the plannedHindustan Aeronautics Tejas Mk II Light Combat Aircraft.

In a call with Flightglobal, an industry source close to the 99 engine deal confirmed that it has been completed. Indian media reports peg the value of the deal at Indian rupees (Rs) 30 billion ($560 million).

The engines will power the Tejas Mk II to be operated by the Indian air force. Some of the powerplants could also be used to power a naval variant of the aircraft.

In October 2010, General Electric defeated the Eurojet consortium in a contest to provide the Tejas Mk II. Under the 2010 agreement, GE Aviation was to provide an initial batch of F414-INS6 engines, with the remainder to be produced in India.

The Tejas Mk I uses GE's less powerful F404 engine, as do early examples of the developmental naval Tejas.

India to obtain 99 GE F414 engines for Tejas Mk II - 1/22/2013 - Flight Global

Last edited:
if we are demonstrating a model only then its totally useless IMO . .. no one trusts HAL .. not even common indians !

That wasn't such a bad attempt! :lol:

And one can't have the cake and eat it too. Shell out 60 million for a Rafale, (which is Overkill in many parts of Africa anyway given it's range and payload) or go for two LCAs with the same amount. Not to forget the lifecycle costs too.
I think the Gripen has done the best in that market, for those who wish to have non-Russian equipment. It seems to be either Gripens or second hand, refurbished F-16's. The Rafale really is a bit too expensive and fighters like the FC-1/JF-17 worry potential customers with issues like manufacturer's support and parts. The Tejas may be in that same boat as HAL has not built an oversees reputation for fighter aircraft as of yet. It will be interesting to see how successful China is in marketing J-10 to foreign customers.

I think the Gripen has done the best in that market, for those who wish to have non-Russian equipment. It seems to be either Gripens or second hand, refurbished F-16's. The Rafale really is a bit too expensive and fighters like the FC-1/JF-17 worry potential customers with issues like manufacturer's support and parts. The Tejas may be in that same boat as HAL has not built an oversees reputation for fighter aircraft as of yet. It will be interesting to see how successful China is in marketing J-10 to foreign customers.

Yup. India is a toddler in the foreign arms market. As you have already said, availability of spares is a crucial issue that no Nation dare overlook. If the Chinese have difficulty plying their wares, so will the the Indians.

Do u know thats the RCS and maneuverability of JFT?

Its a F-16s match in performance. Rest of my post shows whatever but come of delusion that Teja is better then JFT.

People who can afford them will still buy the mirage

Nor can HAL look beyond. Production lines will be choked for 15 years with existing orders. You can't go beyond this.

I don't think India is serious about exporting this aircraft. Who would buy an LCA when India spend most of its money buying foreign planes and buy only a couple of squadron of its own plane that took over 30 years to develop. The plane itself is obsolete at the time of IOC. Countries are better off buying used F16s.

I don't think India is serious about exporting this aircraft. Who would buy an LCA when India spend most of its money buying foreign planes and buy only a couple of squadron of its own plane that took over 30 years to develop. The plane itself is obsolete at the time of IOC. Countries are better off buying used F16s.

In what way is LCA obsolete?

if they get any orders they may ramp up production.
you see? I always thought India should give it a go

why should aircraft industry remain an exclusive club of the west?
I would love to see Tejas and JF-17 together in one show if they decide to field in the same place at the same time.. like in Faranborough airshow in 2014

In the same way as Islamabad is the 2nd best capital in the world :D :lol:
I know we could never beat Kabul that took first place :(

I am surprised at the exports angle here.. We are waaaaayyyyy behind in meeting our own needs of sanctioned 42 fighter squadrons..

to be able to export it, to start off India must ask permissiond from the US, Russia, UK, France, Italy, Israel, Germany, Sweden, Netherlands, etc pretty every country of the entire West. :rofl:

If HAL wants to export LCA, they should first they should increase the rate of production, if possible tie up with some private parties. Secondly and most importantly there should be flight demo show casing its capabilities not a full scale model.

to be able to export it, to start off India must ask permissiond from the US, Russia, UK, France, Italy, Israel, Germany, Sweden, Netherlands, etc pretty every country of the entire West. :rofl:

Mr. Troll...if there is something constructive to offer do it else play video games. What has Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Italy got to do with LCA...wake up keido...that stuff you have smoking is causing hallucinations.

In what way is LCA obsolete?

If someone create a plane that is similar to Mirage 2000 today, it would be regarded as an "obsolete" design and plane. LCA itself is not obsolete, as Mirage 2000 is still a good plane today. But its 1980s design is an obsolete design. When LCA was first designed in the 80 with Mirage 2000 as the basis, it was expected to be in service by mid to late 1990s. If it came out at 1990s, it would have been a great platform. But the first flight did not occur until 2001. Because of constant changes to the technology, many sub components have to constantly redesigned. So that is why it took forever.

If HAL wants to export LCA, they should first they should increase the rate of production, if possible tie up with some private parties. Secondly and most importantly there should be flight demo show casing its capabilities not a full scale model.

Mr. Troll...if there is something constructive to offer do it else play video games. What has Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Italy got to do with LCA...wake up keido...that stuff you have smoking is causing hallucinations.

Can you enumerate the countries that India need to get permission from if it wishes to export LCA?

Maybe LCA can be exported to Mexico, since the plane is named after their former state of Tejas.

. What has Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Italy got to do with LCA...wake up keido...that stuff you have smoking is causing hallucinations.

Of course, due to almost complete lack of knowhow and even basic market orientation expertise, incrediblely intelligent Indians may have never thought of the possibility that in the modern world so-called "made-in-France" or "made-in-Israel" eletronoics/radars might have many or even most of their components originated in eletronics powerhouses such as Germany, Netherlands, even China, Taiwan or South Korea. :hitwall:

Of course, due to almost complete lack of knowhow and even basic market orientation expertise, incrediblely intelligent Indians may have never thought of the possibility that in the modern world so-called "made-in-France" or "made-in-Israel" eletronoics/radars might have many or even most of their components originated in eletronics powerhouses such as Germany, Netherlands, even China, Taiwan or South Korea. :hitwall:

Nice try... Try in cinemas.. your fairy tale works better there..

Back
Top Bottom