ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
262uljt.jpg

RIYADH: ARAB NEWS

Published — Sunday 15 December 2013

Last update 15 December 2013 4:13 pm

More than 254,000 Saudi men and women have been employed in the aftermath of the status correction phase for foreign workers, Labor Minister Adel Fakeih announced at a meeting held recently to discuss the latest developments in the Saudi labor market.
The minister pointed out that the rise in employment figures among Saudis is a result of a 25 percent decrease in foreign labor recruitment and the deportation of 1 million illegal expatriates.
“The ministry has launched a prompt visa service for companies in the platinum zone, and has allocated teams to monitor changes on a weekly basis. Moreover, around 94 percent of the ministry’s services can be conducted online,” he added.
Fakeih also said that 1.9 million citizens benefited from the ministry’s programs, 80 percent of whom are women.
“We have the right to secure jobs for women within a suitable working environment,” he said.
He also emphasized the ministry’s efforts to safeguard the rights of employees and their salaries through the wage protection program.
The minister highlighted the fact that around 90 percent of the graduates from the Technical and Vocational Training Corporation have been employed over the past five years, and 10 percent are registered with the Hafiz program.
“We should not blame the state for citizens’ wrongdoings; we should not blame the state either when citizens conspire with business owners because they don’t want a particular kind of job,” he cautioned.
He said the Ministry of Labor has a bundle of programs to provide jobs and training to citizens, including Nitaqat and Hafiz.
The labor minister also reiterated that the raids against violating expatriates would continue in accordance with the directives issued by Custodian of the Holy Mosques King Abdullah.
Fakeih announced that an electronic portal named “Together” will be launched soon. It will enable citizens and businessmen to express their opinions and views about the ministry’s performance and thereby provide direct feedback to officials.

With expats out, 254,000 Saudis find work | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Great news.

Saudi private sector economy is completely ruined with a lot of conglomerates established over years of hard work going bust. Massive amount of capital has left the country, off-course local media will not declare this but one has to look into Saudi FDI into number of European countries especially UK which received record breaking Saudi FDI during year 2013. Recovering payments from clients and credit defaulters has become near impossible, only a miracle can put the business back on track. Had the program been successful, a number of measures would not have been rolled back silently without announcements. Some of them include.

1. Return of 2 Years Iqama Renewal
2. Equating all Saudis as 1 Full employee regards of their working status (Full Time / Student / Etc)
3. Reduction in Nitaqat percentage for certain sectors and further reduction expected next week for contracting sector. A lot of manufacturing units have permanently closed their doors and shifted operated to Dubai Free Zones, Bahrain and India.
4. Roll back of 2400 Additional MOL fee.

The Hafiz program was exploited en masse as a free cash handout by a number of people who never intended to work. Overall the success of the program was 50/50 but with improvements we can see more employment of Saudis in sectors they can really perform and less pressure on labor dependent sectors such as manufacturing and construction.

Lets see what are the long term implications of this move.

Off topic - India should expel illegal immigrants too which will create huge no. of jobs.

@somebozo

I would not say that the private sector is in such a bad state but there is indeed room for improvement and some of the solutions you mentioned could be of help.

The important thing is the departure of illegal immigrants that were a burden for the society in many ways. The unemployment is not big in KSA but getting most of the unemployed people back on the job market is very important.

The most important thing though is to create long-standing and self-sufficient industries which is a work in progress.

You probably heard about the recent focus on the tourism sector for instance. That sector could great up to 500.000 long-standing and self-sufficient jobs.

Take a look at this thread below:

Tourism college opens in Riyadh as a means to create a booming tourism sector (about damn time)

Last edited:
Simply, The Saudi private sector is competitive by nature. If you aren't qualified enough - regardless of who you are - you gonna get laid off.

Lets see what are the long term implications of this move.

Off topic - India should expel illegal immigrants too which will create huge no. of jobs.

I don't think we would call human beings illegal, they are un-documented.

Hey there,

I haven't seen you for a while, I thought you might have lost your way getting in here :D ...

Saudi private sector economy is completely ruined with a lot of conglomerates established over years of hard work going bust

No, that is so broad. For example, You can't compare Al-Baik to Khalifa's Buffet - if you know what I mean - :lol:

Over the last few years, the private sector of KSA has been jumping by leaps and bounds. As a matter of the Saudi private sector takes the third out of all countries but China and India.

Saudi nonoil private sector to grow 7.6%, Third only to China, India

Additionally, growth is no longer dictated by oil:

Saudi growth no longer dictated by oil prices

Massive amount of capital has left the country, off-course local media will not declare this but one has to look into Saudi FDI into number of European countries especially UK which received record breaking Saudi FDI during year 2013. Recovering payments from clients and credit defaulters has become near impossible, only a miracle can put the business back on track

Like most countries on the planet, foreign investments are quite familiar, I wonder what would you say to the Chinese - considering the fact that they lent the US trillions and trillions of dollars -

Another thing is that these investments weren't transacted in the first place to recover them whenever the investors wish to do so. It's annual profits can make more and more money than withdrawing them.

Here are some key points that deserve to shed a better light on:

Saudi Arabia Foreign Investment

Similarly, KSA too attracted countries and major cooperation:

http://www.alarabiya.net/en/busines...ment-in-Arab-states-rises-despite-unrest.html

Investing here and there help a lot to gain influence, make profits and revenues. It will definitely have a positive impact in foriegn relations per country. The more you invest, the more geo-political weight you gain.

And the local MSM did speak about it bro!

Saudi Gazette - Saudi foreign investment, financial market promising

Saudi Gazette - Shoura moves to amend Foreign Investment Law

Saudi Gazette - SAGIA reaffirms the Kingdom as an investment destination

Saudi Gazette - Foreign investment in Turkish housing soars

Saudi Gazette - Foreign investment in Turkish housing soars

Had the program been successful, a number of measures would not have been rolled back silently without announcements. Some of them include.

The program wasn't design to expel as many people as possible, but rather those who stay undocumented, it is an offense as you probably might know. We don't have issues with those who stay documented or under the process of documentation, otherwise we wouldn't have give a considerable amount of time of an amnesty.

I believe this will suit us the most. If your contractor wishes to get your contracted renewed, then it is well and good, if not then, you are expected to leave the country.

2. Equating all Saudis as 1 Full employee regards of their working status (Full Time / Student / Etc)

This makes no sense. A full-time employee should be a full-time employee, and a part-time Saudi student " employee " is a part-time employee. This is going to be cost(y) and unfair at the expense of other employees be it a citizen or an Expat.

3. Reduction in Nitaqat percentage for certain sectors and further reduction expected next week for contracting sector. A lot of manufacturing units have permanently closed their doors and shifted operated to Dubai Free Zones, Bahrain and India.

No, not " A lot of manufacturing units .. etc " remained close over this issue, only handful places.

But then again, These are the rules. If your employees remain undocumented or failed to document any or failed to find any local or foreign employees, then your place is going to be shut-down due to a violation of the laws.

The Hafiz program was exploited en masse as a free cash handout by a number of people who never intended to work. Overall the success of the program was 50/50 but with improvements we can see more employment of Saudis in sectors they can really perform and less pressure on labor dependent sectors such as manufacturing and construction.

I agree with you on that. Hafiz was slightly exploited, but things will go on the right track by now.

I don't believe any nationalizing a hell of an entire industry or another. I believe in opportunities, and those who came here didn't come to take money solely, they deserve it because of their hard-work.

The Saudis in the private sectors are doing fine for the time being, but I expect them to do more.

Saudi private sector economy is completely ruined with a lot of conglomerates established over years of hard work going bust. Massive amount of capital has left the country, off-course local media will not declare this but one has to look into Saudi FDI into number of European countries especially UK which received record breaking Saudi FDI during year 2013. Recovering payments from clients and credit defaulters has become near impossible, only a miracle can put the business back on track. Had the program been successful, a number of measures would not have been rolled back silently without announcements. Some of them include.

4. Roll back of 2400 Additional MOL fee.

@al-Hasani I don't have the access to accurate figures. Only news to be followed are from Arab News or Saudi gazette but the buzz in the town is that the numbers presented by Adil Fakih are highly optimistic. A few days ago, I read a news that 89,000 new labor visas have been issued to authentic HR firms after the grace period expired on Nov. 3, 2013. Why is it so difficult for the government to employ locals in labor jobs instead of importing labor from Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka etc.?

Secondly, private sector especially retail sector suffered because of labor shortage like porters. Water availability has become another issue. I questioned a few colleagues whether the policy makers thought about such shortcomings when they decided to start the legalization campaign. I have asked this question from a lot of people that why Saudi authorities are unable to employ nationals at labor jobs. No solid answer as yet (expats usually go for stereo typing at such questions so it is better to avoid).

89,000 visas granted to licensed recruiting firms | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Why is it so difficult for the government to employ locals in labor jobs instead of importing labor from Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka etc.?

The Gov't doesn't own every single cooperation here, it simply can't wave the wand to say voila!

No solid answer as yet

I've got answers for you:
1- The income is very very very law compared to a Uni graduate.
2- No health insurance.
3- No vocational qualifications - for many -
4- No Housing allowance.
5- No transportation allowance.
6- Lastly, and above all, the Gosi will suck your salary till you retired.

I have asked this question from a lot of people that why Saudi authorities are unable to employ nationals at labor jobs.

The Gov't can't dictate what the firms should do or shouldn't.

In my opinion, KSA have every legitimate right to employee Saudis. If Saudi government not support its citizens, who else will do Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan or Philippine? These nations even cannot support their own citizens.

The Gov't doesn't own every single cooperation here, it simply can't wave the wand to say voila!

I agree the government can't dictate the private sector but if the government can't force a certain percentage of nationals (nitiqaat program) in an organization then certainly can employ people at labor jobs.

I've got answers for you:
1- The income is very very very law compared to a Uni graduate.
2- No health insurance.
3- No vocational qualifications - for many -
4- No Housing allowance.
5- No transportation allowance.
6- Lastly, and above all, the Gosi will suck your salary till you retired.

Its the same all around the world. I believe all nationals in Saudi are entitled to free medical. Then in light of what you say would it be right to draw a conclusion that 'Government doesn't want its nationals to work at low income jobs". Where will the unskilled / less educated nationals will be employed then? Because it doesn't make any sense that at one side you are kicking out illegal residents to employ nationals and on the other hand you are bringing legal foreigners to take jobs which illegals left.

'Government doesn't want its nationals to work at low income jobs". Where will the unskilled / less educated nationals will be employed then? Because it doesn't make any sense that at one side you are kicking out illegal residents to employ nationals and on the other hand you are bringing legal foreigners to take jobs which illegals left.

The conclusion that I gave does NOT indicate such thing as no for Saudi(s) and yes for an X or Y nationals.

If wages go up, then we will see many Saudis working under the umbrella of labor force, just like the labor force we have within the security establishments.

The State isn't democratic for sure, yet, at the same time, it isn't a Marxist either whereby the City can implement whatever it likes.

The MOL should adopt the same pattern the MoE implemented on Private schools - with 4 stars and below - to offer a decent salary for nationals or face the consequences.

I agree the government can't dictate the private sector but if the government can't force a certain percentage of nationals (nitiqaat program) in an organization then certainly can employ people at labor jobs.

Its the same all around the world. I believe all nationals in Saudi are entitled to free medical. Then in light of what you say would it be right to draw a conclusion that 'Government doesn't want its nationals to work at low income jobs". Where will the unskilled / less educated nationals will be employed then? Because it doesn't make any sense that at one side you are kicking out illegal residents to employ nationals and on the other hand you are bringing legal foreigners to take jobs which illegals left.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom