What's new

Windows 8 Opinion

All i can say is, i miss the good old start menu :( - don't feel very productive on Win8, lots of clicking and moving involved. I am rolling back to Win 7 for now.

it's always hard to switch first time , it's not that bad try after six moth there will be all supportive application availability.

i think missed to format the C drive, and simply clicked on install after i had selected the C drive. i also had a problem when i installed win 8 RTM (i dunno the version exactly, the one they were giving away for free) and had problems as the pc would stuck. i thought it was a bus in the RTM version. Now i that i have got original win 8, i will install it again via usb and see if there are any problems. i personally think installing win from USB is better than the DVD coz may be the DVD can miss some files as they wwere not written properly on the DVD from the iso image.

And when you say install from HD, do you mean to do it by creating a virtual DVD drive?

I actually don't use windows any more but from what I can remember, I used to copy the ISO image in the documents folder >>> extract it >> run the set up file and install either clean windows or upgrade windows and I would see that everything else is deleted except the installation files so it was a shocker for me when it happened for the first time. I thought it would delete everything but every time I was able to run the full installation.

You could also create the virtual drive and it will do the same thing (preferred when you are installing clean windows). I may have made mistake in my understanding since the last time I installed the operating system was long time ago but that is true to the best of my knowledge.

Just installed Windows 8 Pro (Bought the upgrade version for only 40$ so it's a very good deal..)loving it so far..much better then 7 IMHO and the integrated eco-system is awesome.

The biggest advantage for windows 8 is, you get IOS/Apple like App Store so it is always easy to find new software's of your choice at one place and you can still enjoy every single application designed for PC for previous versions of windows.

So it's blended two in one - old Windows and new IOS like software co-operating with each other

I installed from USB drive, and it installed fine.

Yes, lack of start menu is a problem, but there are other third party utilities (both freeware and payware) that bring back the start menu.

I am using Start8 to bring my start menu

Using Windows 8 on a tablet PC, it works best with a Tablet PC i find.

Wait for Windows 8.1 as Windows 8 is not good on a PC. Its utterly confusing and 8.1 has resolved those issues that W8 had..

been using it on 4 machines since launch. no issues here.
actually installing 8.1 right now on the gaming machine.

been using it on 4 machines since launch. no issues here.
actually installing 8.1 right now on the gaming machine.

How much is it integrated with the WIN 8 smartphones if you have had any experience ? I uninstalled it because I found it too boring , dont really like the Tiles thing .

How much is it integrated with the WIN 8 smartphones if you have had any experience ? I uninstalled it because I found it too boring , dont really like the Tiles thing .

I used Lumia, hated it and went back to iphone. The constant need to plug your phone into the computer for updates and Zune bugging out it annoying as hell.

Windows 8 is smooth, but the lack of a start menu is annoying. Also the desktop itself still old styled, which is quite a jerk from the updated software.

agreed with tiles. i don't use them either.
no experience with win 8 smartphones, i have a Symbian and three android devices at home.

I used Lumia, hated it and went back to iphone. The constant need to plug your phone into the computer for updates and Zune bugging out it annoying as hell.

I used iPhone and didn't like the unnecessary restrictions and Apple dictatorship , so switched to Android . Since then , I have never looked back :D I am a PC modder and former gamer , so I wanted to tweak the system to the core and OverClock the hardware to its limits . I inquired about the ' integration ' part because it can be the selling point of Lumia smartphones - with not so powerful hardware and expensive price with only advantage being the camera , in my view .

Sir , have you seen the ' A day made of Glass ' video ? May tell you , why I am interested in smartphone and PC integrating together .

agreed with tiles. i don't use them either.
no experience with win 8 smartphones, i have a Symbian and three android devices at home.

Didn't really find anything else of much significance so switched back to 7 .

@Elmo

There comes a time , when the smoothness of the Operating system reaches a singularity , cant progress further since the hardware isn't the bottleneck anymore .

Last edited by a moderator:
To all those complaining about lack of start button or metro interface:

Use 'startisback' or 'start8' (from stardock). Both will bring back the start button, and boot directly into desktop. I recommend the former, since it is fully native, ie, simply reuses code already present in the OS, and therefore uses little to no system resources.

It sucks that one has to use 3rd party apps to bring back a feature of the OS, but once you do that, it is Microsoft's finest OS to date. And for the geeky ones, you can also bring back the Windows aero glass using 'Big muscle's aero implementation' (google it) from MSDN, currently in beta and available for free (as of now). Makes the OS visually pleasing.
@Elmo

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom