What's new

Will Pakistan become US junkyard?

WaseemBhai

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
53270ed6ae3c9.jpg

Will Pakistan become the American junkyard after the US withdrawal from Afghanistan?

There have been reports that the US is not interested in transporting back some of its military equipment keeping in mind the huge cost of shipping it back to the US and wants to hand over the $7billion worth of mine-resistant ambush-protected (MRAP) vehicles it is struggling to get rid off as it leaves Afghanistan.

It is planned that the US would handover to Pakistan its excess baggage free of cost as the projected cost of shipping each vehicle back is estimated to be $100.000 each and Pakistan is interested in the left over military hardware the US does not want to leave in Afghanistan.

According to the reports discussions have been going on between US and Pakistan and US is ready to dump them with their allies at no cost.

Pakistan has particular interest in US army's MRAPs to be used by its military against its fight against Taliban insurgents in its tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.

Pakistan is also interested in acquiring night-vision and communications equipment and experts say that the deal would be beneficial for both the countries.

The US has concerns about the Afghan military's ability to fend off the Taliban insurgents and feels it is safe to park them in Pakistan instead of leaving them in Afghanistan.

There have been apprehensions about the deal with US concerned about the impact it may have with its relations with India and Afghanistan but does not see it a very big issue.

The reports said that with a few hundred MRAPs ending up in Pakistan, India would have no serious concerns as these vehicles are built to fight insurgents and would have no bearing in a major cross-border war involving tanks and war planes.

In any case Pakistan itself would not want a huge amount of equipment to be left behind and become America's junkyard, the reports speculate.

---WASEEM SIDDIQUI

U r spot on but it wont be liked by the senior members and staff of this forum who even see American waste as Gold.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Specially the Air Force people. They r full of inferiority complex when it comes to American weapons.

U r spot on but it wont be liked by the senior members and staff of this forum who even see American waste as Gold.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Specially the Air Force people. They r full of inferiority complex when it comes to American weapons.
I have never cared about what some one else feels. I say what I think is right. And by the way u r a senior yourself and I'm a new recruit. Thanks for the support.

First of all, American equipment is very well maintained. Even if they refurbish them, these vehicles will be as good as new.

Hi,

Thank you---and on top of that---stealing a newspapers report and posting as his own.
Copy pasting is one thing and expressing your thoughts in your way are two different things my friend. Obviously a report emanates from somewhere and one has a right to discuss it in his own words. You can take a good idea from anywhere.

Copy pasting is one thing and expressing your thoughts in your way are two different things my friend. Obviously a report emanates from somewhere and one has a right to discuss it in his own words. You can take a good idea from anywhere.

Hi,

Didn't know that you were discussing it---with the picture and content----seems like a part of the news in major news papers---and then your name at the bottom-----.

Oh you mean to say that you changed the words around and put your name to the news at the bottom and made it like being discussed. Okay.

By ‘Junk’ one generally means valueless ‘odds & ends’. What is one man’s junk is another man’s good fortune. In case of arms even more so. Most members are too young to be familiar with WW2.

German U boats had made it impossible for any convoys to cross the Atlantic during early years of the war. Churchill then asked Roosevelt for 50 old mothballed destroyers to counter German U boat threat.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/document-1355766897534/

Each and every country has different economic imperatives and different solutions to their requirements. Starting with F-86 & Australian Mirages to the British destroyers, Sherman Tanks, US Artillery; most of our Air force, Navy and Army equipment consist of the items discarded by the Western armed forces. Therefore to flippantly dismiss surplus US military equipment as ‘Junk’, in my view indicates that anti US feelings have taken over rational thinking.

Assuming that this equipment is offered ‘Free’ to Pakistan; Pak Army is the best judge of what would suit their needs and decline what is not needed. Do some of my countrymen want Pakistan to reject perfectly usable equipment offered free but instead pay hard cash to acquire new from another source? No matter what you call it; I would say this is madness.

This reminds me of what I once heard from a wise old man of my village in Punjab long time ago.

Sastaa choro, Mufta na choro

Unquote

Meaning leave what is cheap but don’t leave what is free. These words may be from an uneducated man, but do contain age old wisdom.

Last edited:
Four Posts old and you're already a R&D guy? What Jaadu-Tona is this?:o:

Remember, this is Sparta!

It is not what you know, it is WHO you know. :D

On topic, it is all a matter of cost to benefit ratio for any equipment available, new or used. Surely Pakistan can decide whether the equipment on offer meets its needs at an affordable cost of acquisition and operation.

53270ed6ae3c9.jpg

Will Pakistan become the American junkyard after the US withdrawal from Afghanistan?

There have been reports that the US is not interested in transporting back some of its military equipment keeping in mind the huge cost of shipping it back to the US and wants to hand over the $7billion worth of mine-resistant ambush-protected (MRAP) vehicles it is struggling to get rid off as it leaves Afghanistan.

It is planned that the US would handover to Pakistan its excess baggage free of cost as the projected cost of shipping each vehicle back is estimated to be $100.000 each and Pakistan is interested in the left over military hardware the US does not want to leave in Afghanistan.

According to the reports discussions have been going on between US and Pakistan and US is ready to dump them with their allies at no cost.

Pakistan has particular interest in US army's MRAPs to be used by its military against its fight against Taliban insurgents in its tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.

Pakistan is also interested in acquiring night-vision and communications equipment and experts say that the deal would be beneficial for both the countries.

The US has concerns about the Afghan military's ability to fend off the Taliban insurgents and feels it is safe to park them in Pakistan instead of leaving them in Afghanistan.

There have been apprehensions about the deal with US concerned about the impact it may have with its relations with India and Afghanistan but does not see it a very big issue.

The reports said that with a few hundred MRAPs ending up in Pakistan, India would have no serious concerns as these vehicles are built to fight insurgents and would have no bearing in a major cross-border war involving tanks and war planes.

In any case Pakistan itself would not want a huge amount of equipment to be left behind and become America's junkyard, the reports speculate.

---WASEEM SIDDIQUI
If we can get MRAP and some MRLS and also Artillery with other stuff I don't mind that we can over haul them after all we are also going for 30 year old warships from USA one we already have now and 3 more are expected @Aeronaut

Back
Top Bottom